Landowners Upset with DNR

DoeEyed

Landowners Upset with DNR

Postby DoeEyed » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:28 pm

http://www.wbay.com/Global/story.asp?S=10114247

Wow, these folks are serious. They're making a statement.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

MDV WI hunter

RE: Landowners Upset with DNR

Postby MDV WI hunter » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:10 am

You're not kidding, I applaud their determination for the cause. 

I'm not educated enough on the facts, but it seems to me it's the right thing to do in certain DMU's.

If you haven't already, check out Wisconsin Hunter's United.  Very good information on this topic and what the WI DNR is up to.

https://grouseridgesports.com/whu/index.php
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:11 am

Thanks for the post, I heard about it last night at work and was gonna look into it this A.M but you have already taken care of it!
Thats definitely a stance that will get noticed and I am sure more will follow suit.
Remind anybody of the CWD zones???
EAB might not work as a management tool anymore when you get stuff like this happening.....
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:26 am

It's good to see that the DNR has finally met there match and can't do anything about it.  I congratulate the landowners for taking matters into there own hands.  I also think that more hunters will do this to try and get the deer numbers up in there area.  
Scott

MDV WI hunter

Postby MDV WI hunter » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:38 am

What are everyone's thoughts regarding repercussions?  If a stand is taken like this and then spreads, what could the fall out be?  How powerful is the DNR/Government regarding this issue and what are they willing to do about it?  Will they start to listen or will they take alternative measures to meet their agenda?

Just thinking out loud and I'm interested to hear what people think on this topic.
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda

wack

Postby wack » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:50 am

Doe Eyed, we must have been typing at the same time. I checked here, no story, and then I put the same story in Breaking News. lol Then I got 2 emails from WHU, 1 saying they had a meeting last night in Kakauna at 6:30 pm, that I could have made if I received it before yesterday, and the 2nd email was "Did you see this?" with the link to WBAY's story.

Things are starting to get interesting!
American by birth, hunter by choice.

wack

Postby wack » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:13 am

My hat is off to these guys, if I had land to shut down from hunting, I'd join them. I don't believe my area should be EAB either and I've said it before, we should not hunt the regular Zone this year, especially units that are below DNR's goals. The goals are too low to begin with and to be below those goals means the herd is at risk.

I don't know what the repercussions will be from this but I'm pretty sure with out it, the deer herd and food chain that depends on them is in big trouble up north. The DNR biologist interviewed in the WBAY story seemed surprised and did start to back peddle right away.

""We've expanded our interactions and listening with hunters this year after the 2008 deer season,and that listening is continuing to this day. We're currently processing thousands of written comments we've gotten from the public meetings we had, and we're modifying. An updated season proposal will be available soon," DNR wildlife biologist Jeff Pritzl said. "Pritzl said while he respects the landowners' right to close down their land, he also feels bad they would feel forced to give up something that means so much to them.

I don't think a few land owners would really matter to the DNR but if the rest of us stand behind them, we can make a difference. I believe they got the DNR's attention now. lol
American by birth, hunter by choice.

bowhunter53

Postby bowhunter53 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:27 am

I've always said, The DNR doesn't manage our deer herd, we do; they only give us the time frame in which to do it. Maybe the DNR will start to realize who really is doing the managing. We are not a bunch of sheep waiting to be told what to do.

Fish

Postby Fish » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:44 am

How powerful is the DNR/Government regarding this issue and what are they willing to do about it?

These two powers are totally different.  The Legislators are doing something about it.....10:00 on April 15th at the Capital.  What they are going to do about it?  Sorry, I can't tell you that BUT you should get down to the hearing and show your support.   If you show your support, you will be quite happy with the results.

EAB and T-zone are very effective tools.  Effective in managing the hunter not herd.  You must realize, you must manage the herd not let the DNR manage you.

"I congratulate the landowners for taking matters into there own hands."

So can you, see you at the April 15th hearing.

This reminds me of what happened in 1996 and bear hunting.  If you didn't know, they were going to eliminate bear hunting.  This caused an uproar with the bear hunters, they organized and now have much power in bear management in the State.

This is our time to shine, stop sitting on your hands, get out of the forums and out on the streets.  Deer hunters must unify, regardless of what organization.   This is a very exciting time for the WI deer hunters but you must become active. 

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:55 am

ORIGINAL: MDV WI hunter

Will they start to listen or will they take alternative measures to meet their agenda?

I really don't know what alternative measures they have because they can't go onto private land and start shooting deer off it.  They can on public land but as everyone knows there aren't as many deer on public land as there are on private land.  I know I wouldn't give up hunting for a year but rather just take 1 doe off and then go for a buck.  As many have said it's the hunters that are taking the deer off.  The DNR just gives us the tags.
Scott

Next

Return to Wisconsin