Landowners Upset with DNR

Fish

RE: Landowners Upset with DNR

Postby Fish » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:31 am

You'll start to see a bit more of the anti's.  They now have a headquarters in Madiosn and are going on a spending spree.  Expect them to be at the hearing.

OK, here's the thing on EAB.  They may say they're doing away with it, but are they really?  Many hunter filled a tag to meet the EAB requirements in 2008 for the 2009 season.  That tag is worthless now.  Each one of the EAB unit will now be EAB watch or herd control...meaning 2010 they will be EAB.  So in all reality, just as many hunters will shot doe in order to EAB for 2010.  EAB never left, it's just not called it this year.

stumpsitter66

Postby stumpsitter66 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:18 am

Correct, by in large, CWD is a farce. There is no evidence of a deer making to the final stages of CWD in which the animal dies.

Yes, there is some evidence. Here are links to scientifically peer-reviewed studies:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Ad ... ne.0004019

Most interesting findings are included in the "Table Mesa" report.

Stump

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:24 am

I agree and was thinking the same thing as fish, I wouldn't call this any kind of victory or something to be proud of, its just a manuever...
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:06 am

Stumpsitter:  The article does point out that deer that were infected with the disease did die but not right away.  Deer that were infected with it lived around another 1.6 years and most died during the winter months.  A deer not infected lived another 5.2 years.  But you have to realize that we live in Wisconsin and how many of the deer around here are gonna make it past 3 years old.  Not a whole lot espcially in areas that are heavily hunted.  And then the DNR comes out with numbers saying 2% of the deer tested had it.  Thats 2%, more deer die from starvation or die probably from jumping a fence and getting there foot caught.  2% isn't enough to give out 4 free antlerless tags a day and to have hunting going on from September to the first part of January.  The DNR is using CWD as a way to cut back the deer herd and what there doing is wrong.  CWD is part of the eco-system, its not something that humans should try and control.  It's been around in the US for more then 30 years and probably in Wisconsin for more then 7 years.  
Scott

Bigfoot

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:21 pm

spring hearing results are up here's a link

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/nrboard/congress/ ... index.html

some results

EAB alternative 1126 yes votes,5472 no votes

moving muzzleloader season 2546 yes votes,4174 no votes

16 day muzzleloader season 2432 yes votes,4440 no votes

private land only anterless hunt 2570 yes votes,3933 no votes

elimanate eab and october anterless season 5513 yes votes,1321 no votes

max 2 consecutive years in earn a buck 5112 yes votes,1325 no votes

allow 16 and 17 years in the october youth hunt 3294 yes votes,3003 no votes

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:48 pm

Thanks for the link!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:14 pm

ORIGINAL: Bigfoot

spring hearing results are up here's a link

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/nrboard/congress/spring_hearings/index.html

some results

EAB alternative 1126 yes votes,5472 no votes

moving muzzleloader season 2546 yes votes,4174 no votes

16 day muzzleloader season 2432 yes votes,4440 no votes

private land only anterless hunt 2570 yes votes,3933 no votes

elimanate eab and october anterless season 5513 yes votes,1321 no votes

max 2 consecutive years in earn a buck 5112 yes votes,1325 no votes

allow 16 and 17 years in the october youth hunt 3294 yes votes,3003 no votes

Def. appreciate the link.  Here is what I think:

I wouldn't be torn if they moved the muzzleloader season to later December.  I'm not a muzzleloader hunter, at least not yet, but when I do I'd like to hunt later in the season and not RIGHT after the gun season.

I'm all for a longer muzzleloader season as long as hunters think before they pull the trigger, i.e. they practice some trigger management to a point where they are managing their herd correctly.

All for eliminating EAB and the herd control.  BUT, what happens in '10?  If you are in a 'watch' unit this year it'll be like you're in an EAB unit this year anyways, so I don't know how much that solves.  Guys will be out there shooting does so they have their buck tag just in case they are in EAB the next year!

Max two consecutive years in EAB....I'm all for that.  And it should be something like no more than two times in a five year span....Just for the fact that you can have it two years in a row, skip a year but it'll be a watch unit, which like stated earlier is just about the same as being in an actual EAB unit. 

What do you guys think?
QDM!

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:20 pm

I agree with you on the EAB, its just a way to look like they are not doing it but in fact they are.
Muzzleloader.....dont like them, if you want to use a ml use it during the gun season...or shorten the season.
The deer have had enough pressure already.
Jake

Centralwisconsinland

Postby Centralwisconsinland » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:23 pm

I think all hunters should be in Madison tomorrow to say what they think.
It's easier to do a job right the first time than to explain why you didn't.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:05 pm

Goose, I'm not going to sell you on ML I see!  lol  I agree with you as far as pressure though, and that's why I say make it later in Dec.  I think Iowa does this (don't quote me).  Again, when hunting like this, proper trigger mgmt needs to be practiced you should be sure of what you have on your property before taking any animals, bucks or does.
QDM!

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin