Winter kill?

dewey

RE: Winter kill?

Postby dewey » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:11 am

Where I go hunting is up by Pembina ND along the Red River of the North and thus I am more concerned about the deer I go after up there being able to swim with all the darn water than I was about this past winter.  I think my treestand, which is about 20-25 feet above the river, is currently underwater.
�Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.�

Mahatma Gandhi

lonlon

Postby lonlon » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:51 pm

Hard to imagine a 20 foot deer stand under water!  Hope you manage to have good luck this fall!

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:06 pm

When I was driving home from where I hunt a few days ago I saw what I thought was one deer carcass, well I pulled over to see what it was, doe, buck or whatever. I looked around only to see another 5 other carcasses next to it! Some were smaller, but a few were decent sized. I was surprised to see so many so close together, not sure what could of happened, it was sad to see so many in one area dead. I couldn't tell if they were mauled or whatever, they were all composed to the bone, what do you guys think could of happened? I thought it was a bit weird...
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:38 am

I've found remains of 3 while looking for sheds.  From the remnants (hooves anyway), they looked like young deer.  There are plenty of coyotes in the area, so I'm guessing they may have picked off some of the young / sick deer.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

wack

Postby wack » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:08 am

Demo, about the only predator that dumps bones all in one place is the human kind. Bears, wolves and coyote pretty much eat there prey where they kill it and scatter the bones. My guess would be you found someones bone yard dump sight. Other possibilities could be they got trapped there, maybe in deep snow like the ones I found, they all froze to death, lightning strike or poisoned. Judging from time of year, with record amounts of snow in Dec. and extreme cold weather we had in Jan.  froze to death is a good possibility. A group of deer having a bad day, get wet and bed down, temps drop and they never wake up.
American by birth, hunter by choice.

deerman69

Postby deerman69 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:28 am

I've got home from up in Marinette co. where we have 120 acres. Been looking all over for sheds and all I've found sofar is 1 dead turkey. The deer I've been seeing sofar look to be in pretty good shape, also my cuddebacks are showing me thah the 3 doe's that were crippeled up late last year made it okay. We figure that the doe's were hit by cars none of the neighbors that I talked to had lost any deer during last years season. We still got a lot of snow in the woods and in the swamp.

wack

Postby wack » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:16 pm

I'm officially killing winter right now. Done, it's over, frogs were singing last night, my AH neighbor mowed his lawn, spring must be hear. lol I don't think winter kill was an issue here this winter, record snow but so few deer, they had plenty of food. I think my blue berries are winter kill, looking sad. lol But the 2 deer left behind my home and the 4 deer on public land in this county are looking fat and happy.[8|]
American by birth, hunter by choice.

Previous

Return to Wisconsin