DNR knows what killed 2 deer in Oshkosh

wack

DNR knows what killed 2 deer in Oshkosh

Postby wack » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:45 am

With the deer culling in Oshkosh, 2 deer were found dead and thought to be poisoned. This was not the case as the DNR performed a necropsy on one deer and the results show the deer died of a grain (corn) overload. The second deer died of starvation.  See the story here :  http://www.thenorthwestern.com/article/ ... ocated=RSS

So what does this mean? To me this means that the deer in Oshkosh are very hungry and backs the idea that there are too many deer in Oshkosh. I also think that they can chalk up these to very painful deaths to those trying to save the deer in Oshkosh even though they're going to say it was the bait piles used to cull the herd that killed the 1 deer.
American by birth, hunter by choice.

Goose

RE: DNR knows what killed 2 deer in Oshkosh

Postby Goose » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:43 am

Thanks for the post, DoeEyed that might help or hurt your feeding argument.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:57 am

One had too much and the other didnt have enough? To me, hat seems a bit odd, i'm not saying it cant happen lol, obviosuly it did, all in all, its too bad to see them die in such a painful way.
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:07 am

I agree, stuff like this can be spun any way the people "testing" it want it to be but we hopefully can trust the DNR.[8|]
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

REF

Postby REF » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:25 pm

years ago I heard some old guy say not to feed the deer (hay) halfway through winter caz they can't digest it... If they start on eating browse and tree tops and the like ...the stomach fluids can't break down a sudden change in diet ..has anyone heard or read anything on this ?
Its not a dumb question if you don't know the answer

Rob

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:54 pm

REF, the deer and deer hunting show had that question answered in a segment by Dan Schmidt.  If I can remember right hay doesn't have parasites that the deer need to eat in order for the stomachs to function correctly.  But you are right that it is not good to feed deer hay during the winter.  If you go back through season 3 he answers it. 
Scott

REF

Postby REF » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:15 pm

cool ...have not seen the tv /cds of ddh yet .... but my birthday is coming up[8|]
Its not a dumb question if you don't know the answer

Rob

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:33 pm

Not sure if that one deer was eating baited feed, but that's what can happen to deer in the winter if they are baited.  Lots of people say it's so cold out they need feed, etc, etc, but more times than not, they are better offf w/out it.
QDM!

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:01 pm

Goose, I read some of the comments below the article and went to the websites suggested by porky425. Very interesting and informative. Will be mulling this over for awhile. I'm sure it's a no brainer in your eyes but things are not always as simple as they should be.

wack, thanks for the post!
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

wack

Postby wack » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:50 am

The way I understood grain blockage, and I maybe wrong, it is a symptom of starvation and dehydration. If you were without food for an extended period of time, the worst thing you can do is gorge yourself. They usually feed some one very slowly and bring body fluids up as well. A lack of water, stomach acids and enzymes, being weak from hunger, it takes energy to burn energy. The deer eats more than its body is ready to digest and gets clogged up. A deer, being different from humans, in good health always have a full stomach. I've never shot a deer with an empty stomach and many were full of corn. Having an empty stomach for even a short while will really mess with the digestive track of an animal that needs to fill up every 4-6 hours.

Those two deer were starving and the others that were shot have very little body fat according to one of the sharp shooters. Sure the 1 deer died from grain/corn overload but it had been suffering long before it found the bait pile. The sad part is the deer in Oshkosh are in better shape than the deer on some of the public grounds in the same county. Deer can't eat bare dirt even if they could get through the ice and snow.

What they need to do in Oshkosh is use food scent baits and guard the corn every minute it's out there. They need a Wack attack. lol Hopefully the 6 that the sharpshooters got were the 6 most desperate for food.
American by birth, hunter by choice.

Next

Return to Wisconsin