DNR knows what killed 2 deer in Oshkosh

DoeEyed

RE: DNR knows what killed 2 deer in Oshkosh

Postby DoeEyed » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:12 am

My understanding is grain overload( or lactic acidosis ) is caused from a rapid change in diet or access to a large quantity of grain. The deer were obviously starving in this case but it could happen to a healthy deer as well. Deer have been browsing for months and throwing a pile of corn out is like giving them a big treat. Example... My dog is fed on a regular basis and deffinately not starving but if I fed her then offered her a pile of meat she is going to gorge herself no matter how full she is. It's a big treat. If the deer had been fed consistently thruout the winter in small quantities the grain overload probably would'nt have happened. It does'nt take alot of bait to draw a deer in. They probably threw out more than was necessary and should have had the forsight and knowledge to remove the bait after the hunt.

"Hopefully the 6 that the sharpshooters got were the 6 most desperate for food."   Yeah. 
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

wack

Postby wack » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:53 am

Example... My dog is fed on a regular basis and deffinately not starving but if I feed her then give her a couple steaks she is going to gorge herself no matter how full she is. It's a big treat.

That really big treat isn't going to kill your dog, but if you dog had not eaten for a couple weeks and then scarfed down as many steaks as it can it might die, just like a human that's had no food for weeks, you do not allow that hungry person to over eat, they have to start slow. Dogs are a bad example because wolves and other predators are more adapted to going hungry for awhile then gorging themselves when they can. A deer's digestive system is designed to be constantly fed, a healthy deers stomach is always full. If it were just simply a change in diet then we've killed thousands of deer with every bait pile across the state over the years. Every deer that got it's first belly full of corn would have died. The deer has to be in pretty bad condition to die from a belly full of corn. These are also city deer, who knows what else they're eating. Struggle to get a belly full of garbage every day so there body doesn't know what to do do with so much good food all at once The city water in Oshkosh is nasty, put fish in city water they die. Can't imagine whatever water source deer have in Oshkosh is any better. It's just not a good place for a lot of deer to be.
 It is ironic how my friends from Oshkosh and I travel all over the state to see no deer and they can't get rid of them from there own back yards. lol For $125 per deer? I'd do a Wack attack and fill all the tags for $125. lol
American by birth, hunter by choice.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:16 am

wack I was editing my post as you were writing yours.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

wack

Postby wack » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:37 am

wack I was editing my post as you were writing yours.

How am I supposed to argue with you when you do this to me? lol I don't have much of an argument anyways, I think we're both right ans saying about the same thing with different words. BTW, " lactic acidosis" , you get extra points for vocabulary even if you did edit it in. [:)]

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:37 am

Sorry to dissapoint you[;)] lol I will say though that I had this same thought...." If it were just simply a change in diet then we've killed thousands of deer with every bait pile across the state over the years. Every deer that got it's first belly full of corn would have died."  Then I realized that by the time we start baiting for gun season the deer have been nibbling in the corn fields for awhile and are accustomed to it.  Ah well, if they plan on doing more culling hopefully they will have enough sense to clean up the bait pile when they leave. And now that the weather is warming up it should get better for all the animals. 

wack

Postby wack » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:21 pm

And the plot thickens.........
http://www.wfrv.com/news/local/story/Oshkosh-to-stop-baiting-deer/86N5WMszZUOfJM03aVMADQ.cspx?rss=847

Why use 2 gallons when you can use 2 - 50 pound bags? Will be interesting to see if any tickets are issued. You can bet your last dollar that if it were one of us using 2 50# bags of corn for bait, we'd have a hefty fine to pay. These were supposed to be professionals, they should have known better.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:08 pm

Yeah, I wonder if they'll get fined for that. I would'nt blame it on the sharpshooters though. They were paid by the city. The city should have found out about baiting when they got the permit.  It's stuff like this that makes us all look bad[&o]

wack

Postby wack » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:07 pm

Wonder no more. lol DNR Issues Baiting Citation to City of Oshkosh

http://www.wbay.com/global/story.asp?s=10080561

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE='JavaScript1.1'>if (document.layers) {document.write('<SCR' + 'IPT language=JavaScript1.1 SRC=/Global/ad.asp?type=single&cls1=News&src1=loc&spct1=100&sz1=wnsz_20&callType=script />'); document.close();}</SCRIPT>coreAdsCreate('wnsz_20', 'loc', '100', 'wnsz_20', 'News');
Image[/align] By Jason Zimmerman
A recent attempt to cull the urban deer herd in Oshkosh could cost the city more than expected. The city admits it made a mistake, but a DNR citation could cost taxpayers.
"We'll ask our insurance company what they think, but I suspect we'll say we didn't follow what the regulations say, that perhaps we didn't understand too well, and we will move on," City Manager Mark Rohloff said.
The Department of Natural Resources says the city used three times the amount of bait it was authorized during a recent deer culling effort.
The culls were conducted twice, starting last January, near the Vulcan Quarry neighborhood. Sharpshooters killed a total of six deer.
In a notice given to the City of Oshkosh, the DNR highlights its allegations that a two-gallon restriction on baiting was violated at two locations during a recent deer cull.
"From what I was told, they baited roughly two times per week, from late to mid-January up until March, and roughly 100 pounds per site for two sites, so that's roughly 14 gallons per site, and two gallons is the limit," DNR warden supervisor George Protogere said.
The DNR says it took action after receiving a number of complaints.
At least one doe died from over-baiting, but the DNR says it can't be sure the city is responsible.
One council member said Thursday night the entire culling effort should be re-evaluated.
"I think it says that our city council needs to do a better job of listening to citizens out there, and taking these kinds of allegations seriously. In this case the citizens turned out to be right, the feeding was not done property, and that's unfortunate," council member Tony Palmeri said.
The DNR dropped off the notice of claim at the city clerk's office Thursday morning.
The city manager said he doesn't expect to fight a citation, which carries a minimum penalty of $530.
It's being called a simple misunderstanding.
"We look upon it as a learning lesson, and we will move on from that and make sure if the situation happens again we will be careful, following whatever procedures the DNR lays out for us," Rohloff said.

It's a shame that the tax payers have to pick up the tab for the stupidity of the city council. I think who ever gave the order to put the bait out and those who actually put the bait out should pay the fines and accept the responsibility for there actions instead of passing the bill to the people of Oshkosh. 2 Gallon bait limit isn't something new, it's been the law for a long time and every hunter knows this, how could they possibly think they were above the law?

I also question the folks who were hired to cull the deer. This is there business and if your business is removing unwanted deer, they should know the laws that pertain to baiting and killing deer. If they didn't put the bait out, they should of at least saw the bait and questioned it. They should have 1) Told them how much bait was legal to use, and 2) once they saw too much bait out, they should have stopped, cleaned up the bait and refused to shoot deer until it could be done legally.

And what about the DNR? The city had to have some sort of communication with the DNR, why didn't they lay the ground rules out right from the beginning? This wasn't during deer hunting season, or apart of any deer season, the city had to talk with the DNR to get permission for the deer cull, I would think a warden would have been present for the cull hunts. It's not like they didn't know when and where, EVERYONE knew when and where as apparent by all the protesters.  Duh. The DNR couldn't drive across town for a few hours to do there jobs? These tickets should have been handed out on the spot, not months later and maybe if the DNR did it's job, the deer wouldn't have died from grain overload. I think the DNR should issue themselves a ticket or two for

[/align]

Previous

Return to Wisconsin