I hunt in the southern part of waupaca county. I went out this morning to place i have never had a stand before, so i wasnt sure what to expect. thick area, travel area going to bedding area, thought it should make a good morning stand. it was kind of a last minute thing, so i didnt have time to put cameras up. saw just one doe, but with all the rain this morning, i think the activity was unusually slow.
i went out this evening and hunted a fence line between an alfalfa field and soybean field. starting about 5 pm the soybean field started filling up, saw roughly 40 deer over the course of the evening, mostly small bucks and a couple does with fawns. the bigger bucks all had their velvet shed, but the real little ones, like the yearlings, all still had velvet on. once the rain let up, seemed the deer started moving a little more, at least more than this morning.
you must have like 100 deer per square mile with seeing 40 deer on one stand! [;)]
anyways, i never made it out this morning. it was pouring out, so i thought i'd just hit it up tonight. was still misting pretty good around 4pm...you know that thick mist that isn't a hard rain but you go outside and you're soaked in like 5 minutes...so i decided to stay in. it ended clearing up about 630. i immediately got the itch to go out then but by the time i would have had time to take a shower and get ready and then get out to the stand i'd have had maybe 30 min. of shooting light. [:@] anyways, if it was mid to late october i'd prob have been out there today no matter what. but, since it was the opener and i'm sure this weather deterred movement anyways i stayed in. what do you guys think, smart choice?
supposed to be raining again tomorrow morning, so i guess i'll be getting up and seeing what the weather is like, and if it is, i'm heading back to bed. prob. watch the vikes kick the colts around a bit and then head out tomorrow night pending the weather.