Hunting Notes

Goose

Hunting Notes

Postby Goose » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:21 pm

I was thinking it would be nice to hear whats going on all over Wisconsin as far as how the deer are behaving. Ill try to keep you updated on whats going on in my area (Waushara and Winnebago counties) and am hoping you will do the same. Good luck and keep all of us WI bowhunters up to date.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

RE: Hunting Notes

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:03 pm

Hey Goose...I'm in the west-central part of the state by Hudson.  Getting ready for the opener tomorrow...Looks like it's going to be a nice one (cooler temps with a cold front and high pressure behind that)!  Anyways, I've been seeing less and less deer in the fields lately so I'm not sure if the acorn crop is going on pretty good right now or what the issue is.  How is it by you?  I plan on hunting over a soybean/alpha rack plus field tomorrow night though....See what happens!

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:57 pm

I hunt in the southern part of waupaca county. I went out this morning to place i have never had a stand before, so i wasnt sure what to expect. thick area, travel area going to bedding area, thought it should make a good morning stand. it was kind of a last minute thing, so i didnt have time to put cameras up. saw just one doe, but with all the rain this morning, i think the activity was unusually slow.

i went out this evening and hunted a fence line between an alfalfa field and soybean field. starting about 5 pm the soybean field started filling up, saw roughly 40 deer over the course of the evening, mostly small bucks and a couple does with fawns. the bigger bucks all had their velvet shed, but the real little ones, like the yearlings, all still had velvet on. once the rain let up, seemed the deer started moving a little more, at least more than this morning.

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:03 pm

We drove to the land in waushara county this morning and decided not to hunt in the rain. Went out this evening and saw 3 year and halfs out in the soybean field. Thats it, pretty dissapointed. Hoping it was because of warm weather,rain, and full moon. Rained on us till 6 oclock, now I gotta dry everything out. Going back in the morn, hopefully have better results. Would like to get a doe early. Oh yeah 2 of the bucks were out of velvet and the larger of the three was all red and still had some at the bases. Pretty neat to see.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:43 pm

ORIGINAL: vipermann7

I hunt in the southern part of waupaca county. I went out this morning to place i have never had a stand before, so i wasnt sure what to expect. thick area, travel area going to bedding area, thought it should make a good morning stand. it was kind of a last minute thing, so i didnt have time to put cameras up. saw just one doe, but with all the rain this morning, i think the activity was unusually slow.

i went out this evening and hunted a fence line between an alfalfa field and soybean field. starting about 5 pm the soybean field started filling up, saw roughly 40 deer over the course of the evening, mostly small bucks and a couple does with fawns. the bigger bucks all had their velvet shed, but the real little ones, like the yearlings, all still had velvet on. once the rain let up, seemed the deer started moving a little more, at least more than this morning.

you must have like 100 deer per square mile with seeing 40 deer on one stand! [;)]

anyways, i never made it out this morning.  it was pouring out, so i thought i'd just hit it up tonight.  was still misting pretty good around 4pm...you know that thick mist that isn't a hard rain but you go outside and you're soaked in like 5 minutes...so i decided to stay in.  it ended clearing up about 630.  i immediately got the itch to go out then but by the time i would have had time to take a shower and get ready and then get out to the stand i'd have had maybe 30 min. of shooting light.  [:@]  anyways, if it was mid to late october i'd prob have been out there today no matter what.  but, since it was the opener and i'm sure this weather deterred movement anyways i stayed in.  what do you guys think, smart choice?

supposed to be raining again tomorrow morning, so i guess i'll be getting up and seeing what the weather is like, and if it is, i'm heading back to bed.  prob. watch the vikes kick the colts around a bit and then head out tomorrow night pending the weather. 

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:18 pm

hunted in winnebago county tonight over a soybean field and saw 12 deer total. 10 doe and fawns, and 2 year and half's. They all mingled together and were nice and relaxed. It started raining pretty good and they all headed to the woods then when it slowed they all came back out. Both bucks were hard horned and the fawns did not have any spots 2 sets of twins and 1 set of triplets.
Jake

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:35 pm

Never made it out again today.  Pretty much rained all day again...And when it did stop it wasn'f for very long.  Kind of disappointing...This is the first opener that I have missed since I first started hunting 19 years ago! [:'(]

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:51 pm

Went out tonight from 430 to 730 in winnebago county and saw 14 does and 1 little buck. Was blessed with a good shot on a doe and made good on it. Id like to get 2 more for the freezer but probly not on this land.  Deer started coming out to the fields around 6. I was sitting in an oak tree and had deer coming in all night to munch on acorns. Felt good to make a good shot with my new setup. Rage broadhead worked to perfection again.
Jake

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:53 pm

Hunted up in northern wis opening weekend saw 6 or 8 deer and killed a nice doe off our new food plots..

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:21 pm

Went out Saturday nite in the rain and saw nothing. Sunday nite I shot a nice 1.5 year old 5 point for my first bow buck. For the complete story and the grueling details go to general discussions, Help-gut shot deer?
Kyle

Next

Return to Wisconsin