*** WI Bowhunting is under attack ****

retch sweeny

*** WI Bowhunting is under attack ****

Postby retch sweeny » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:50 pm

[size="2"][color="red"]*****Bowhunting threat alert*****[/color]

Your bow season is at risk. While reading through the Conservation Congress Spring hearings questions, I came across question 57 which seeks to make the archery season an antlerless only season except for opening weekend and two weeks during the rut. [color="red"]Bowhunters would not be allowed to harvest a buck at any other time of the bow season if this passes.[/color]

It is being labeled an "EAB alternative" is really an attack on bowhunters. The wording is sneaky enough not to mention the bow season which is most likely an attempt to trick unsuspecting CC voters into voting for it as an "Alternative" to EAB on the grounds of fairness. By fairness, it means that since gun hunters get an opening weekend and the 9 day season to hunt bucks that bowhunters should only get that same amount of time to harvest bucks.

As a Bowhunter, you have more reason than ever to attend the April 13th spring hearing to vote NO to question 57. Please make sure to spread the word about this assault on the bow season.

Here is the wording as it appears in the CC spring hearing book.

QUESTION 57 – An EAB Alternative

The use of the Earn-a-Buck deer season in Wisconsin has been controversial, unpopular, and seemingly unfair to many hunters since its inception. Yet, EAB has proven to be effective at reducing high deer populations. It accomplishes this by tying the ability, opportunity, and desire for harvesting a buck with the biological necessity of harvesting antlerless deer. Sadly, EAB does this on an individual hunter basis where one hunter may be able to hunt bucks for over 100 days, while another hunter may never have even one day's chance.

Another way of utilizing the same "ability, opportunity, and desire for harvesting a buck" would be to implement a full-length antlerless season with a shortened buck harvest period. Season opening weekends (and perhaps a two or three week rutting period) would always be open for buck harvest so everyone in the DMU has the same chance at that time for a buck every year that the program is in effect. Antlerless harvest would be spurred on during the rest of the season by the desire to return to a full-season buck hunting opportunity again. Specific time periods and trigger points for the implementation of such a management tool could be developed cooperatively with the DNR. All hunters under this system would and should be treated equally.

In areas or DMUs of high over-goal deer populations and in an effort to provide equal buck-hunting opportunity to all hunters in those units, would you prefer the concept of shortening buck hunting opportunity by limiting the buck harvest equally for all hunters on a seasonal basis instead of limiting individual opportunity through the use of EAB?

To find out where your county CC hearing is, go to the following link.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/nrboard/congress/spring_hearings/index.html[/size]

mtnman

RE: *** WI Bowhunting is under attack ****

Postby mtnman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:19 pm

Thanks Retch...as always, you are right on top of the new proposals.
Do they honestly believe that because no one is up to implementating EAB during gun season, that those that bow hunt will happily take on the challenge? Many of those that gun hunt are the same that bow hunt. If EAB and other mandates are found as reprehensible by the hunting public, do those who make such policy sincerely think that this will be any different? Or is it their objective to spread the pain around, along with discouraging hunting, and suffering a loss in hunters...sure seems that way.

I will make sure that I attend CC hearings in April, just as I attended the DMU meetings today.
(Florence Co., WI)

bowhunter53

Postby bowhunter53 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:49 pm

This actually is a question at the spring meetings of the CC. The DNR  really does not have much to do with it, unless it passes. I think it is a ridiculous idea and will be voting NO.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:17 pm

What's next, sheesh!  [:@]
QDM!

Whitetailaddict

Postby Whitetailaddict » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:55 am

Honest to God, what is next??!!! That is just unbeleivable! if it passes i'm done bowhunting WI (Good thing i don't think it will pass). bowhunting is one hundred times harder than rifle hunting. why do all the lazy rifle hunters keep asking for everyting to be fair? that's bs. it's kinda like how some rifle hunters want the rifle season during the middle of the rut. that's unbeleivably stupid too! Not only would that be bad for the deer herd (as other states have proven), the start of the rifle season is also a tradition and it shouldn't be changed just because people think it's unfair! that makes me soooo mad when people say that. they say the deer aren't in rut when the rifle season starts even though that's completely untrue! every year i've that i've seen bucks during rifle season, they've been doing some kind of rutting activity, from scraping to chasing. to be honest i wish i could bow hunt that time period when rifle season starts because it's one of the best time periods of the rut, and the bucks are really rutting hard then. People just don't understand or see this because they're stomping around the woods and doing drives. They're not gonna see rutting deer when they're scaring the crap out of the deer.

MDV WI hunter

Postby MDV WI hunter » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:17 am

ORIGINAL: Whitetailaddict

Honest to God, what is next??!!! That is just unbeleivable! if it passes i'm done bowhunting WI (Good thing i don't think it will pass). bowhunting is one hundred times harder than rifle hunting. why do all the lazy rifle hunters keep asking for everyting to be fair? that's bs. it's kinda like how some rifle hunters want the rifle season during the middle of the rut. that's unbeleivably stupid too! Not only would that be bad for the deer herd (as other states have proven), the start of the rifle season is also a tradition and it shouldn't be changed just because people think it's unfair! that makes me soooo mad when people say that. they say the deer aren't in rut when the rifle season starts even though that's completely untrue! every year i've that i've seen bucks during rifle season, they've been doing some kind of rutting activity, from scraping to chasing. to be honest i wish i could bow hunt that time period when rifle season starts because it's one of the best time periods of the rut, and the bucks are really rutting hard then. People just don't understand or see this because they're stomping around the woods and doing drives. They're not gonna see rutting deer when they're scaring the crap out of the deer.

I understand your position but please do not lump "rifle" hunters into the same category and label them.  I'm not by any means lazy, I run 15 miles a week, work out 3 days a week and when I hunt I hunt hard regardless of weapon.  I don't participate in drives but I understand why they do it.  I would be willing to bet a percentage of bowhunters would do it but can you imagine trying to shoot a deer during a drive with a bow??? 
This is truly unfortunate and I understand that the powers that be are trying to force the hand of HUNTERS which will then ultimately lead to a stand off with one party giving in.  I truly don't believe that the "rifle" hunters have more of a voice than the "bowhunters" so to rant on them complaining isn't exactly fact.  I also don't think it has anything to do with FAIRNESS, I see this as more of a ploy to achieve herd numbers quicker rather make the seasons fair.  It's no different than any other business in the US, there are agendas and objectives to achieve, the will be obtained through whatever means necessary and manipulation will be one them.  I don't mean to throw a blanket as there are a number of responsible people running businesses, I just have yet to meet them. The key to being successful at defending our right to hunt and not have it over legislated is to provide a united front, I support WHU and will be attending meetings this spring.  I will be bowhunting for the time this year as well as gun hunting.  As far as the rut is concerned, no debate is necessary as there are no hard facts to support an arguement either way.  Everyone has their predicitons and people will see different things, it's a null issue and not worth the energy.

Mntmn, do you have any quick stats on bucks during bowseason harvested vs bucks during gun season?  I'd be curious to see the numbers against the # of registered hunters.
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda

Whitetailaddict

Postby Whitetailaddict » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:49 am

I'm not trying to lump gun hunters at all. i bow hunt rifle hunt and muzzleloader hunt, i was just trying to say that there are many gun hunters that only gun hunt and want everything handed to them, and just want to kill everything. there are many hard working rifle hunters (and im sure you're one of them) but there are some that just want the easy way, and think everything is unfair if they don't get it. they act like they can't pick up a bow as well (Maybe some can't but they can use a cross bow) when all they have to do is do it. there aren't laws saying they can't. They want everything fair and better for them when in reality they are just lazy.

MDV WI hunter

Postby MDV WI hunter » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:27 am

I'm not trying to lump gun hunters at all. i bow hunt rifle hunt and muzzleloader hunt, i was just trying to say that there are many gun hunters that only gun hunt and want everything handed to them, and just want to kill everything. there are many hard working rifle hunters (and im sure you're one of them) but there are some that just want the easy way, and think everything is unfair if they don't get it. they act like they can't pick up a bow as well (Maybe some can't but they can use a cross bow) when all they have to do is do it. there aren't laws saying they can't. They want everything fair and better for them when in reality they are just lazy.

As in other threads, I'm confused on how you are getting your facts.  What's this they want everything fair and for themselves.  I've never heard this arguement before so please point me to a DNR meeting or meeting notes where this arguement is being had.  Please don't refer to a forum.....   I've contributed on WHU and not once have heard about this lazy rifle hunter issue.

I apologize to all those that I've chatted with on this forum but this is utter non-sense being spewed and I'm a little worked up over it. 
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda

mtnman

Postby mtnman » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:33 pm

Mntmn, do you have any quick stats on bucks during bowseason harvested vs bucks during gun season?  I'd be curious to see the numbers against the # of registered hunters.

Archery harvests can be found at this link.

Gun harvest here.

Hope this helps.
(Florence Co., WI)

wack

Postby wack » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:23 am

I don't see any unit for bow season that harvested more buck than doe but the are a few units in gun and muzzle loader that harvested more bucks than doe. I see no reason or need to encourage bow hunters to take more doe. I'm sure many bow hunters earned there buck stickers bow hunting to use for gun season. I'll be using my sticker earned last gun season for this years bow hunt.You almost have to bow and gun hunt just to be able to earn a buck and those who put the time in shouldn't be punished. I think this is an alternative EAB solution that makes EAB look good. Kind of like death by lethal injection compared to death by electrocution. I'd prefer neither but forced to choose, give me EAB or lethal injection. 
American by birth, hunter by choice.

Return to Wisconsin