Few EAB Units in 2009

stumpsitter66

RE: Few EAB Units in 2009

Postby stumpsitter66 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:21 am

Hi all. Good posts, Fish and Goose (weird in one sentence, huh?)!! Anyways like I said earlier, the pre- and post don't really mean much when we are still a long way off of goal. Remember how I mentioned about the model falling apart with high herd numbers? Here is a chart that shows it very clearly. Keep up the INFORMED dialog. It helps all of us. And yes, don't kill the messenger. Warnke is one of the best and brightest deer managers in North America. We should all feel lucky to have someone like him in charge. Yes, he is a hunter himself.
Stump (chart to follow). The light blue line is goal.

Fish

Postby Fish » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:37 pm

I think we are on opposite sides of the spectrum here Stump.  I will never attact Keith Warnke's intelligence but I do question what his personal beliefs vs. what he is being told to do.  One doesn't make statements against a company policy.  By the way, his unit is set at 65 DPSM....lol-jk.

I woud guess we could debate 24/7 on "goal", density, SAK, etc....but for some reason I think we've done this before.  If not, e-mail me and we can hash it out...lol.  Since retirement, I keep my thoughts and opinions out of public forums.  I just pop in once in awhile to make sure these boys are steered in the right direction so they can educate themselves and come to their own conclusions.

And me and the Goosie have agreed before......Occasionally, he just gets tempted from the dark side.  Use the FORCE Goose! [:D]

Have a great weekends guys!

wack

Postby wack » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:57 pm

I'm in Winnebago county, we still have plenty of snow and ice. I shouldn't have aimed my frustration at Warnke, but I am frustrated with the wildlife management in general and believe without some changes, our deer herd is in big trouble. There's a big difference between southern/central WI and northern WI. you'll have a hard time getting all the deer out of the back yards, cities and farm fields and easy to kill to many deer up north when you don't know how many deer are dieing from bears, wolves, and bad winters. We have a lot of deer in the CWD zone that are unhuntable because they're in back yards, cities and towns. In Winnebago county, still EAB zone, our public land stinks as deer wintering grounds and we have more deer in Oshkosh alone than on all Winnebago public hunting grounds combined. My best chances for a deer in '09 is to hunt in the cemetary in Oshkosh. Doesn't pay to go to nearby hunting grounds, doesn't pay to drive up north to see no deer, did that in 06 and 07, I must have forgot how to hunt sometime in 05 because before 06 I killed more deer each year than I've seen each year sinse 06. I saw 4 deer all bow and gun season of 08 and was able to kill 1. Not only is my freezer empty, so is our local food pantry's. If we have too many deer, then the deer are in all the wrong places and in some places we don't have near enough. I'll quit at that and 5 years from now, I'll come back and hopefully NOT say I told you so.  
American by birth, hunter by choice.

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:30 pm

And me and the Goosie have agreed before......Occasionally, he just gets tempted from the dark side. Use the FORCE Goose!

Have a great weekends guys!

The dark side just screams at me now that you have retired.....it's just so tempting....I'll blame the woman[;)]

You have a great weekend as well!

Wack, I've been cutting wood all week in Winnebago County and they are hitting the fields hard. Theres some snow in the woods in areas but there are well past the "hard" times.

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

wack

Postby wack » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:50 pm

Wack, I've been cutting wood all week in Winnebago County and they are hitting the fields hard. Theres some snow in the woods in areas but there are well past the "hard" times.

I'll believe that when I see it. Yes the snow should go away here soon, there's about 4" in my back yard 4' pile still in my front yard. I see 50's in the near forecast, but that doesn't mean the snow ice and cold is done for the year, and yes I see a few deer in the fields but I see more deer in Oshkosh than I see on public land here. We're in EAB again, the hard times will get worse and as a public ground hunter in Winnebago county, it really can not get much worse unless they plow up more public ground to plant and harvest again next fall. I don't have the luxury to hunt private land in this county, not even the deer I used to see from my back windows, been turned down many times. I have acres and acres of Federally protected marsh and wetlands bordering woods and farm fields behind my property, have seen up to 100 deer in the area in past years. 07 there were about a dozen deer. Last winter we had 3 deer, this winter we've seen 1 deer and haven't seen her in 3 weeks. This is a non hunted area with a lot of winter food, a deer sanctuary of sorts. Usually the deer about this time are on the pond ice eating tree buds that they can't reach without the ice and eating and bedding under the nieghbors pine trees. No tracks sinse last snow fall. I've seen fox, 1 coyote and a few turkeys this winter, first year for coyote and turkey, but I get up every morning hoping to see deer and they just aren't there. Down by the south east corner of Rush Lake, a newer Federal public hunting ground I saw the DNR issue more tickets than I saw deer harvested. I got one early T zone, my friend got one early Tzone we saw no other deer taken early T, regular or bow hunting.
American by birth, hunter by choice.

Fish

Postby Fish » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:00 pm

"..it's just so tempting....I'll blame the woman"

You only have one?  No wonder you have 1287 post.....[;)]

Previous

Return to Wisconsin