Coldest time in a tree

Gr8ToutDoors

Coldest time in a tree

Postby Gr8ToutDoors » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:20 am

I was just thinking while at work today, what was the worst weather I have ever sat in a stand before and for how long.  Just was wondering what some of your worst weather moments were in a stand.

Wolf River Hunter

RE: Coldest time in a tree

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:23 am

For me the cold is always the worst weather scenario, I don't mean a little chilly, I mean down right frigid. My worst day was a while back, spent the night at my father's house and didn't bother looking at the weather forecast. Next morning dad dropped me off at the gate to our woods while he took the truck to hunt a nearby farm. No phone no heater and it was bitter cold and didn't warm up. Dad was coming back around 12:00 for lunch. Longest 6 hours of my life.

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:30 am

Some of the coldest days I have spent on stand were not that cold. I wasn't properly dressed and the cold wind went right through me. Probably 20 degrees and I was dressed for 40.
I know this past season I sat in weather well below zero but I was layered and didn't put the heavy stuff on till in stand, sure does help when your dressed for it.

The coldest I got during this past year was when it was raining and around 35ish out, I froze to the bone.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:11 am

I think last year opening day of the gun season was the coldest for me.  It was about 8 degrees out with a little wind.  My body was warm but my hands and feet got cold.  Lasted only 3.5 hours on stand.
Scott

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:28 am

I recall a few years ago being up in a tree and there were 40-50+ MPH winds and 20 degree temps.  That was a waste of time.  Not fun in any way.[&:]

....you know your a deer geek if.....
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

John1961

Postby John1961 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:58 pm

Well I guess these two go hand in hand. A few years ago I was hunting in Southern Md with our club. A few days before leaving home I bought a new pair of hunting boots. Well a few miles from home I remembered my boots. A fast turn around and into my closet I go. My new boots are black and so are my steel toed boots. Well after a few hours in the stand on one of the coldest days of my life, Wal mart sold me a new pair of hunting boots. CAMO in color. I dont know if this is a darwin or dumb a55 award.
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:31 pm

Hm, that's a good question...I'm not that big of a 'cold baby' so it takes quite a bit for me to get cold.  Most friends when we're either hunting or fishing will be cold long before me.  But, to answer the question I'd say the coldest was when I first started hunting when I was between 12-14 years old and would hunt almost every day of the late season.  I never used to dress as warm then as I do now!
QDM!

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:27 am

The worst day was also one of my best...I was a novice first year hunter in North Carolina and i was going to go bow hunting on november 9th ..i had been a few times in october the weather was pretty warm so i didn't need much clothing or so i thought...I went out in 20-25 degree weather but was supposed to warm up to 60.. i only had on a long sleeve shirt and pants..no hat or gloves...

got on stand an hour before sun up and by 7 am i was freezing...i thought it would warm up quicker than it did but i was shaking badly... but i didn't want to leave kept thinking its the rut..and it will warm up sooner or later..man i got so cold and probably a little hypothermia...luckly at 8 am a nice * pt buck walked by and i shot my first deer....

I have never been so cold since..i just wear to many clothes now...

cruiserdebo

Postby cruiserdebo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:33 pm

Awe the memories !!! it was about 10 yrs. ago, figured I'd sneek in a quick hunt before christmas dinner. It was definately QUICK. LOL [:D] Temps were around zero with the worst wind I have encountered in a tree. The wind was blowing so hard I would grab the tree so I wouldn't fall. Needless to say I was early for dinner. Didn't even see a squirrell. That was a GOOD time. Live and learn.
-Tim-
you go up on that ridge and I'll go down in the swamp....

Gates hailfits

Postby Gates hailfits » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:49 am

Coldest is when I'm not see'n deer, which is alot nowa days
Beers on my tailgate better than home wit the wife

Return to Wisconsin