Carrying a handgun in WI?

Wolf River Hunter

Carrying a handgun in WI?

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:06 am

Anyone an expert on the WI handgun laws? Can I carry a holstered pistol around town as long as it isn't concealed? Just talking on my person, I'm sure it needs to be completely cased in a vehicle.

Goose

RE: Carrying a handgun in WI?

Postby Goose » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:44 am

Thats a topic that has been covered in the last couple of issues of Wisconsin Outdoor Newspaper. From what I got out of it (maybe someone can answer you better) is that it is perfectly legal according to the language of the law but a Official can and will arrest you and confiscate your weapon for dis-orderly conduct.
It's being fought and there are cases being analyzed as we speak about this.

Heres the article- http://www.wisconsinoutdoornews.com/articles/2009/01/29/top_news/news02.txt
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

mtnman

Postby mtnman » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:24 am

ORIGINAL: Wolf River Hunter

Anyone an expert on the WI handgun laws? Can I carry a holstered pistol around town as long as it isn't concealed? Just talking on my person, I'm sure it needs to be completely cased in a vehicle.

As a firearms dealer, I can tell you about the open carry laws in WI.
The debate on concealed carry, has usually come down to the fact that while the state has no concealed carry law, it is legal to carry open carry ...providing the following are true..
1) the handgun must be holstered
2) the handgun may not be carried into private or public buildings that prohibit such.

Some munincipalities require that the sidearm be fully encased in a holster that shows NO PART of the sidearm(I know of none that exist for this purpose) Milwaukee is one of these munincipalities. It was one of their gun control laws that did not ban outright, but by leglislation, made it impossible to excercise your rights.

Even though open carry is legal throughout the state, local governments can at times make it difficult for you to excersise your rights. Tickets for disturbing the peace, creating a riot or public nuisance, or all of these are not uncommon. While illegal for the local governments to enforce, they are meant to thwart by use of financial means, the citizens right to due process.

I have carried open carry in many cities and counties..and have at times been approached by law enforcement. I do know my rights and the laws...and then speak from the position of strength. Many police officers do not know the technical specifications of open carry, or the fact that all citizens have the right to do so.

You also have a right to carry a handgun on your person while hunting....it does not matter if you are hunting ducks, or during deer season in a shotgun only zone. The fact that you are carrying, does not mean you are shooting game with an improper weapon.

All information regarding state and local laws can be found on the BATF web site.
Also check out the US and WI state consititutions and bill of rights.

Those that are not informed will lose their rights....you must be informed!
(Florence Co., WI)

mtnman

Postby mtnman » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:34 pm

One more thing....no part of the sidearm can be covered by clothing.....
(Florence Co., WI)

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:36 am

Thanks for the info! I was unaware that a person could carry a sidearm while bowhunting. Good to know.

Return to Wisconsin