Early Bow or Late Bow Season

Gr8ToutDoors

Early Bow or Late Bow Season

Postby Gr8ToutDoors » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:17 am

I don't know too many people who bow hunt in the late season, and I was just wondering what all ya'll do.  Have you had a lot of success in the late season?  How different are the deer?  Just was trying to see if anybody actually goes out in the winter.

Wolf River Hunter

RE: Early Bow or Late Bow Season

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:15 am

No mosquitos, woods to myself, and some snow makes for a pleasant hunt if the wind isn't bad and the temps not too frigid. If you can find a good food source the hunting isn't too bad either.

Early season I'm sweating and swatting and the deer are usually right in on me before I see them. I like watching a deer walking through the snow from a ways off. I'd rather shoot does in the cold too, not so frantic on having to get them cut up.

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:36 am

I've only got one deer during second season. They are hard to hunt IMO.
With a good food source and deer that have not been too pressured it's definitely easier.
If it's legal to bait and you are someone who is willing to bait it can also make it easier.
As stated above it is a beautiful sight to see the deer in the snow but it is definitely harder hunting IMO. I still do it and hunt it pretty hard but have not had alot of luck with it.
Just another excuse for me to get out in the woods I guess....
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:17 am

I haven't done it basically because this past year was my first year of bow hunting.  I would say it beats hunting in 70-80 degree weather with bugs biting you and everything.  You might have to deal with cold temps and deep snow but an advantage about deep snow is that you can tell where the deer are going by the trails they have through the woods.  If I haven't shot a deer yet in the year I will hunt the late season.
Scott

Demoderby4

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:29 am

I have never bow hunted the late season, this last year was my first year bow hunting tho, but after this last year im thinking im gonna pull out the bow after muzzle loader and give it a shot, the late season is my favorite time to hunt and i think finding the right spot and setting up would make it a lot more exciting than the early season, if tags are unfilled i will be trying my best to fill em late season bow hunting for sure!!
Matt Cain
SE MI

Them Darned ol' deer.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:54 pm

I went out my first year. I was sitting in a ground blind and was relatively warm until a doe came into my bait pile with a buck. I got such an adrenaline rush all the heat went out of my body, I started shivering and my teeth were chattering. I could'nt even pull my bow back! Needless to say I spooked them and that was the last time I went out late season. [:)] LOL  I was just thinking how naive I was just a few years ago and how much I've learned in such a short time. It's sad in a way. You don't realize how precious those first experiences are until they are past. Sometimes I wish I could relive them and have everything new again.

All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

wack

Postby wack » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:00 am

I got such an adrenaline rush all the heat went out of my body, I started shivering and my teeth were chattering. I could'nt even pull my bow back! Needless to say I spooked them and that was the last time I went out late season.

That's not being cold, that's buck fever! lol The trick is to shoot the deer so you can go warm your hands field dressing the deer, then warm your body dragging it out. [:D] I recommend some good hot chocolate and whiskey to warm the body and calm the nerves while hunting in cold weather. lol
American by birth, hunter by choice.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:36 am

Lol.[:D][:D][:D] It was sooo bad!  But not as bad as when I actually shot my first deer. THAT was terrible. I'll have to post that story in the "hunting story and a pic" thread one of these days. 

"I recommend some good hot chocolate and whiskey to warm the body and calm the nerves while hunting in cold weather. lol "  Lol I'd be reeaalllly meelloow Lol [:D][:D] Probably start laughing when I saw the deer and fall out of my chair lol.[:D]
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

wack

Postby wack » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:35 am

Lol I'd be reeaalllly meelloow Lol Probably start laughing when I saw the deer and fall out of my chair lol.

Mellllowww is good, laughing is good, cut off the whiskey before your falling out of the chair drunk.  We met a guy who spent the night sleeping one off in a tree climber. I was too drunk to climb down. Had his buddies all looking for him, they found him snoring away, figured he was safer sleeping than trying to climb down so they just left him and came back in the morning.
American by birth, hunter by choice.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:44 am

I was too drunk to climb down.
lol was that an oops?

Next

Return to Wisconsin