La Farge

northernVT

La Farge

Postby northernVT » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:34 pm

Hey everybody from WI.

I need a little help. A friend of mine has asked me to go out to WI with him on a business trip. He doesn't hunt, but knows that I live for it. He goes out to WI every month for a business meeting in La Farge, WI and asked if I wanted to go with him during the deer season out there. He has a bunch of friends/business associates that have hunting land out in that area. My question is if anybody could give me any advice on this area. Should I do this or not? How is the hunting in that area? What month would be the best out there? All the typical questions.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help on this.

Jeff

Goose

RE: La Farge

Postby Goose » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:15 pm

Are you talking bow or gun?
It's in the SW part of the state and I have no personal experience in that area.
I think it would be worth your time though all depending on the land of course.
I would think if it's decent land it should be good.

Hopefully somebody from that area will be able to help you better...
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:14 pm

I would definetly hunt that area. I live about 40 minutes from La Farge and have been there numerous times. There are really big hills and valleys and perfect deer hunting country. There is also a state park near La Farge that is very nice and scenic. I would hunt in November during the rut or during the regular gun season. I'm sure there are a good amount of deer in that area also. I would take the opportunity and run with it. Good luck.
Kyle

wack

Postby wack » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:00 am

I don't know about that area but the whole state in general is seeing fewer deer than years past. I don't think that part of the state has been hit as hard as northern WI we're still waiting for the official "deer count" that will start the war on what zones will do as far as tags go for '09 season. Find out the deer zone # you are considering and watch for the zones to be set. You could be in 1 of 3 situations. 1)deer numbers are at goal in your zone and it will be a regular hunt. That's usually a buck or doe tag or buck and doe tags. 2)Your zone is below goal, tags maybe limited 3)your zone is above goal, and you may need to earn a buck by shooting a doe first, extra doe tags available, or other DNR tactic to lower the herd number. I almost for got 4)CWD zone. Too complicated to explain here, basically brown it's down as many as you can find..
 WI has never been in this position before our herd hasn't been this small state wide in my lifetime. Every hunting op is a good op but you'll want to know what zone and see whats going on in that zone before you shell out the dollars. There's still some very good hunting here, mostly on private land, if the DNR hasn't over hunted it or wolves haven't moved in, or a bad winter kill, you're good to go. I'd bring a camera, grab the fishing pole, check out turkey tags, we've got lots of turkeys in some areas, and lots to do.  
American by birth, hunter by choice.

northernVT

Postby northernVT » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:47 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose

Are you talking bow or gun?
It's in the SW part of the state and I have no personal experience in that area.
I think it would be worth your time though all depending on the land of course.
I would think if it's decent land it should be good.

Hopefully somebody from that area will be able to help you better...

Thanks Goose, I was hoping to hear from you.

I would be hoping for bow season. Probably the second week of Nov. I am guessing that your rut out there falls about the same time ours here in VT does considering we are about on the same parallel and winters are about the same.

northernVT

Postby northernVT » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:51 pm

ORIGINAL: bigwisconsinbucks

I would definetly hunt that area. I live about 40 minutes from La Farge and have been there numerous times. There are really big hills and valleys and perfect deer hunting country. There is also a state park near La Farge that is very nice and scenic. I would hunt in November during the rut or during the regular gun season. I'm sure there are a good amount of deer in that area also. I would take the opportunity and run with it. Good luck.

Thanks Big,

That was the information that I was hoping to hear. I was looking at the Pope and Young record book maps and that area sems to put out quite a few whoppers. The actual DMU would be 71. It is a CWD area, whatever that means. I know what CWD is, but what does a CWD area mean? I also notice that it is an "earn a buck" area as well. I am guessing that taking a doe shouldn't be a problem out there.

Thanks for the information.

northernVT

Postby northernVT » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:57 pm

ORIGINAL: wack

I don't know about that area but the whole state in general is seeing fewer deer than years past. I don't think that part of the state has been hit as hard as northern WI we're still waiting for the official "deer count" that will start the war on what zones will do as far as tags go for '09 season. Find out the deer zone # you are considering and watch for the zones to be set. You could be in 1 of 3 situations. 1)deer numbers are at goal in your zone and it will be a regular hunt. That's usually a buck or doe tag or buck and doe tags. 2)Your zone is below goal, tags maybe limited 3)your zone is above goal, and you may need to earn a buck by shooting a doe first, extra doe tags available, or other DNR tactic to lower the herd number. I almost for got 4)CWD zone. Too complicated to explain here, basically brown it's down as many as you can find..
WI has never been in this position before our herd hasn't been this small state wide in my lifetime. Every hunting op is a good op but you'll want to know what zone and see whats going on in that zone before you shell out the dollars. There's still some very good hunting here, mostly on private land, if the DNR hasn't over hunted it or wolves haven't moved in, or a bad winter kill, you're good to go. I'd bring a camera, grab the fishing pole, check out turkey tags, we've got lots of turkeys in some areas, and lots to do.  

Thanks for the insight on what to look for Wack. I will keep an eye on those things in the near future. My friend goes out there every month anyway, so the opportunity will be there no matter what. The $ thing really isn't that much of an issue, because I will be sharing a hotel room with him and hunting with his friends on their property. Very reasonable hunt. Basically the cost of a plane ticket, and meals and maybe an extra rental vehicle.
You mention wolves. Has the wolves moved into the southwest part of the state yet?

Again, thanks for the information.It is really appreciated. 

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:57 am

The 2nd week in Nov. would be a good week for the rut. I personally think the first 2 weeks in Nov. are your best days to be in the woods.

BWB will be able to answer your CWD zone question better as he is from that area. But they have some different season structures there and I can't tell you exactly what they are.
You'll have to wait to see if it's earn a buck next year because they will change that around as well in different units.

I really don't think you'll regret it, it sounds like you have a great opportunity on your hands and I would jump on it if you are able to.
Yes the deer numbers are down and people are rightfully calling foul on the DNR and powers that be but WI is still one of the best places to hunt deer and I think you'll enjoy it.

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

northernVT

Postby northernVT » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:53 pm

Thanks Goose. I will do a little more research on the area and probably plan the trip with me friend when he goes out. Again. Thank you for the information.

Jeff

wack

Postby wack » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:03 pm

Has the wolves moved into the southwest part of the state yet?

Take a look at the DNR wolf distribution map 

http://wiatri.net/website/AtriDemo/viewer.htm
 Keep in mind that the wolves on the map are DNR numbers, (they tend to under estimate) they claim 144 wolf packs, 550 wolves, packs average 5-6 pups per year, by next fall the map could have double or triple the number of wolves. Good news is the wolves have been delisted, the state goal is 500 wolves, stay tuned as to how the DNR is going to make the goal of 500 happen. My math says 750 - 1450 need to be removed, but what do I know?
If you go to the WI DNR website you can get aerial maps, layered maps and get about all the scouting info you can get with out actually going there. If you know the street and highway names, you can zoom right in on a property. You'll also want to look at the rules, what else is in season, watch for DNR special gun hunts that might come up, and maybe a back up plan like goose, turkey, fishing or something to do if it's too windy to bow hunt or tag out early. You can also take coyote with a bow although I'm not sure if small game license is needed. Turkey can be taken with bow also. If you can get a turkey or yote with a bow, you've done something that's very difficult to do.
 If money is no object, look at the combo license's offered. If money is REALLY no object, send me some. lol Of course, if you'd like and can get permission for me to hunt, I'd be glad to go check it out for you, get some stands out set up camp, heck I'd even guide and field dress for you and keep you up to date on what's going on in this state for a good place to hunt and especially if money's no object.  Heck, your money, my time tools and knowledge, the possibilities are endless. webcam trail monitors, food plots and custom stands. lol

American by birth, hunter by choice.

Next

Return to Wisconsin