Summer Food Plot

Blazed

Summer Food Plot

Postby Blazed » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:10 pm

I am planning a new food plot area. I have 2 acres to work with. Basically no machinery, but that's another topic.

Here I'd like to get opinions on a summer plot (seed) that would get the deer coming. There are numbers of deer around , but this spot is just over grown weeds and deer just travel through at a low rate now.  I will put 1 acre in turnips & rape as that has proven to be an excellent draw for a kill plot. I don't know what to put in the other acre to get them to know the area.

Any success stories in this area? 

Centralwisconsinland

RE: Summer Food Plot

Postby Centralwisconsinland » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:34 pm

Blazed, not sure what part of the state you are located, but Jay-Mar in Plover on County B is having a food plot seminar this Saturday the 21st stating at 10:00 AM
It's easier to do a job right the first time than to explain why you didn't.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:25 pm

If you're planting turnups already, I'd probably put in a perennial like a clover of some-sort.  This with the turnups should offer them food for a good portion of the year!
QDM!

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:54 am

I agree with Buckhunter, the turnips and rape shouldn't be planted till mid to late July.

With 1 acre remaining your best bet would probably be some kind of clover, such as white clover.
You could buy a mix or make your own with something like 5 lbs/acre of durana clover,7 lbs/acre of red clover,and 50 lbs/acre of wheat oats or rye.

Or you could just plant a solid stand of white clover.

It would be fairly easy to get started and easy maintenance to keep it going for several years.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Return to Wisconsin