2009 Opener

MDV WI hunter

RE: 2009 Opener

Postby MDV WI hunter » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:56 am

I should really clarify my statement and apologize for the confusion.  I didn't mean to imply that anything that moves will be shot.  I shot two last season during the regular gun hunt.  This was in zone 55, I saw many more but didn't take any shots.  I also hunted zone 75 for the weekend opener(gun) and didn't see anything.  One of the three in our party  shot a doe and that was the only deer all weekend.  As I've stated in other threads, I recently relocated closer to the grandparents in zone 55 on a large farm.  Prior to this past season in zone 75, I haven't shot a deer in 8 years and have only seen a handful during that time.  At this current time, my understanding of the situation is deer pose a very large threat to the local farming community as well as trying to erradicate CWD.  If someone has the facts regarding those two issues, I would gladly continue to educate myself on the subject.  Now 2009 will be my first bow season and I really hope to just get a shot at a deer meaning a well placed, ethical kill. 

I will say that I'm 100% for the responsible management of our deer herd.  However, drive Cty Rd O, G, or Z near Belmont, Darlington, Platteville, Shullsburg, etc.  You will need a very large note book to track the #'s you will see.  I kicked up 20 deer, yes I actually counted all 20, in one small patch of set aside.  I've counted 8 in my back yard (9 acres several miles from the 20 I kicked up and on the same day)  We've collectively counted near 500 in a night traveling the local farms. Crop damage and CWD have really taken a toll on the area.  Now the statement was made that this type of hunting is why people haven't seen many deer.  I only half agree, in the northern area's it does seem that the population is dwindling but I would argue that most deer don't travel hundreds of miles around the state.  I don't think that was the point though, it was more the methodology correct?  In the areas that haven't had good harvests, have we looked at the (un)natural predators that have moved into the area.  I know in zone 75 coyotes and wolves have exploded in population.  I saw 3 coyotes opening day in 2008 and I know poaching is on the rise as we found 4 carcasses in 2007 (promptly reported to the game warden).  Some random thoughts I guess.

This rambled a bit as it was written during mutiple times but I do NOT want to portray that I'm some slob hunter wandering around shooting at anything and everything.  I'm learning to bow hunt because I love the outdoors and deer are truly an amazing/fascinating animal.  Bow hunting will force me to learn the animal, its habits, and truly how to hunt.  If I use that knowledge for myself to harvest a deer, donate one to the food pantry, and help the local farming community, I see that as a win win for everyone.

Again, I didn't mean to send the wrong impression or spark a debate.  I mispoke and hope that this helps to clarify what i meant.

Mike
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:07 am

Thanks for clearing it up MDV WI hunter.

wack

Postby wack » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:49 pm

Lighten up guys, it's his first season bow hunting. I killed 6 deer my 1st year so blame the lack of deer on me, not a rookie bow hunter. I was feeding my family and would do it all over again and I'm am not apologizing to anyone for killing 6 deer per year to feed my family. All I'll say is don't waist the meat and only take shots you can not miss.  Food pantries are a good thing and taking care of the hungry is great for our image. Wounded deer running around with arrows in them isn't. Just remember it's a lot more fun and a lot less work to pass on a shot that's not right then to take a bad shot and know you've wounded an animal. This is a great time of year to start practicing with a 3D target. Hard to practice with a lot of cloths on in July. Practice like you intend to hunt and good luck. 
American by birth, hunter by choice.

Bigfoot

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:29 am

and i predict their will "only" be 35-40 EAB units

and i read today the DNR wants you to call the nearest DNR office if you see dead or dying deer...........bet feeding in the 27 counties that it's banned in (or whatever the number is now)  would be helpful right about now

Bigfoot

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:36 am

ORIGINAL: wack

Lighten up guys, it's his first season bow hunting. I killed 6 deer my 1st year so blame the lack of deer on me, not a rookie bow hunter. I was feeding my family and would do it all over again and I'm am not apologizing to anyone for killing 6 deer per year to feed my family.

well said,i spend my spring and summer and after the season is over keeping track of the total number of deer that i see on my property,so that come hunting season i know how many deer and what kinds i'm willing to shoot

some of these people that write in to magazines complaining about low deer numbers then they say something like the following(which is taken from an actual letter) i saw 3 deer ALL of gun season so i shot 2 and left 1 for seed....just boggle my mind

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:07 am

All I was trying to say is that I'm speaking from experience.  We hunt in the CWD zone and 10 years ago we would see 100 deer opening day.  Now 10 years later our entire group of 5 saw a total of 7 deer.  The reason we saw so few deer was because for the past 10 years we would shoot anything that was legal and fill our tags.  All of our neighbors would do the same thing.  Deer can't repopulate that fast when 20 deer are being shot in just 3 farms!  And then there are more farms around us that do the same.  I'm just trying to say that he is lucky to have that many deer around him.  I don't want him to end up like we are and trying to rebuild the population by us.  It all comes down to what he wants and I can't tell him what he can and can't shoot but im just giving my opinion.

MDV WI hunter

Postby MDV WI hunter » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:31 am

Guys, no harm no foul.  I just shot my bow over my lunch break and can't wait for Sept 12th.  I'm fortunate enough to be able to shoot on my lunch break as the local shop is 5 minutes down the road with an indoor range and techno shoot range.

As far as how many to shoot.  That energy should be directed to protecting our right to hunt.  I would like to believe that we all try and pay attention to our local demographics and do the responsible thing.  If we're seeing a lot of deer and they can be put to good use, do it, if not, maybe some restraint is in order. 

I really enjoy this forum because we can all debate issues and educate each other in the process.  Healthy debate, more often than not, reveals positive outcomes. 
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:33 am

Oct 1st is bow and Nov 15th is gun here in Michigan.. I really cant wait!! Turkey season is right around the corner too.. Im hoping to take my first bird.. Id love to get a mount on it to add to my collection.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:45 am

Good luck with the turkeys DeerCamp!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

wack

Postby wack » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:02 am

I forgot to send in for my spring turkey tag this time. Guess I'll have to get in line for the left overs. Can't be worse than drawing my last choice in zones and having to drive 300 miles round trip last year to hunt in strange land with high winds and rain all week. The things we do for fun. lol I don't like our turkey tag system, but that's another topic. DeerCamp are you trying for your very first turkey? Bow or gun? Either way it's a blast. 
American by birth, hunter by choice.

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin