2009 Opener

buckhunter21

RE: 2009 Opener

Postby buckhunter21 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:19 pm

I've only turkey hunted a few times when I was younger.  Never really got into it, but would love to get back in the game!  I however don't understand our system either.  There are millions of turkeys and I think there should be higher bag limits as well as let more people go.  What do you guys think?  As said, I'm not a turkey hunter (yet!) so I may not be seeing something here.
QDM!

mtnman

Postby mtnman » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:35 pm

I have a gazillion turkeys up by me...no sense of a hunt here when a herd of them come in and look in your window when you are watching TV. I get a kick out of the TV shows that go so overboard on Turkey hunting...They give them varmints way too much credit for being intelligent. Needless to say, when ever one those shows has either turkey hunting, Texas hunts, or any of those high fenced hunts of any kind, I do not bother to watch.
I cannot relate to millionaires that hunt private deer ranches, and pass on bucks that anyone would take in a minute! Come out and hunt the real world with me....then say that hunting the high fenced areas are truely "hunts". Also, what self respecting hunter drinks wine and eats foo-foo food at some big cozy lodge?
  Ok..ok...I am getting off the subject...either way, I did the turkey thing once...and that is it....no skill or sport in it. Also, 23.00 to get one bird is insane. Gets kinda bad when you have more turkeys than grouse. At least grouse offer a fun day in the woods...whether you get them or not.
  Doing it with archery equipment makes it a whole much more challenging.
(Florence Co., WI)

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:42 pm

I agree, I went out with the bow last year and got one 6 minutes after opening. Pure luck, there just happened to be a tom roosted near by, heard my calling and came into the decoys. Still dark enough so my draw was hidden better and I made a good shot. It's definitely different shooting one with a bow, major rush for me. I also got it on video which was pretty cool.
Didn't get a tag this year, I signed up for just the first 2 weeks and must not have gotten either one. Might buy one over the counter, haven't decided yet.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:29 pm

No skill or sport in turkey hunting? Are you serious mtnman? That comment upset me a lot and I had to respond. Turkey hunting can sometimes be more exciting than deer hunting. Having a tom strutting and gobbling to your calls is priceless and memorable. 

I'm pretty sure the turkeys don't come peek in your window during the season. During the winter I can see that happening, but correct me if I'm wrong. Around here come the season they are skittish as ever and are very intelligent. I have turkey hunted for 5-6 years now and have only killed 1 bird. You must give them more credit.

Turkey hunting is a ton of fun and obviously is not your sport, but please do not bash it like you did.

I received the 3rd season and my dad the 1st. Last year I called one in for him on his birthday. It was one of the most memorable and exhilirating hunts of my life.
Kyle

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:37 pm

I would have to say that turkey hunting is extremely difficult.  I don't hunt turkeys but have been on hunts with a friend who does and its extremely difficult to get them to come into range.  After the first day of the season they become very suspicious of anything and they are just like deer they don't respond to calling, and then when you do get one into range they can still pick you off because of there keen eye sight.  Yeah some get lucky just like deer hunting but it takes skill to get them to come in. 

mtnman

Postby mtnman » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:50 pm

bigwisconsinbucks...
Did not mean to dis turkey hunting. It may(and seems to be) different for others and in different parts of the state.
What I am saying is that, for me, and my part of the state, it is not difficult to get a turkey....and yes they do come right up to my window during season. The only time they do become somewhat scarce is during the spring hatching. Depending on the year, we may two broods. You can pattern them like deer...but much easier. You can walk up on them and they do not even move...they even follow one of my Alaskan Malmutes around the yard. Either I am really lucky to have all these turkeys around, or you gents happen to be hunting in the wrong areas.

I will admit, that I enjoy things that take a challenge, maybe if I was in your local, my view would be different, but yours might be like mine if you lived in my area.

Just like differences in deer hunting...all depends upon where you hunt. Anything that gets us out in the woods with family and friends is a good thing.

I do hunt squirrels and small game with a bow...bust and break lots of arrows....but what good are they if they are only used during deer season?
(Florence Co., WI)

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:04 pm

ORIGINAL: mtnman

I have a gazillion turkeys up by me...no sense of a hunt here when a herd of them come in and look in your window when you are watching TV. I get a kick out of the TV shows that go so overboard on Turkey hunting...They give them varmints way too much credit for being intelligent. Needless to say, when ever one those shows has either turkey hunting, Texas hunts, or any of those high fenced hunts of any kind, I do not bother to watch.
I cannot relate to millionaires that hunt private deer ranches, and pass on bucks that anyone would take in a minute! Come out and hunt the real world with me....then say that hunting the high fenced areas are truely "hunts". Also, what self respecting hunter drinks wine and eats foo-foo food at some big cozy lodge?
  Ok..ok...I am getting off the subject...either way, I did the turkey thing once...and that is it....no skill or sport in it. Also, 23.00 to get one bird is insane. Gets kinda bad when you have more turkeys than grouse. At least grouse offer a fun day in the woods...whether you get them or not.

What's your point I have deer come in the yard during the early archery season, while me and my daughters are shooting our bows.  My oldest (7) at the time begged me to let her shoot one as an adult doe and 2 fawns stood within 15 yds watching us stick the the 3 D target.  Just me but I'm guessing if you get away from the house your turkey expirience may be a little different.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

mtnman

Postby mtnman » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:24 pm

ORIGINAL: OHhunter

ORIGINAL: mtnman

What's your point I have deer come in the yard during the early archery season, while me and my daughters are shooting our bows.  My oldest (7) at the time begged me to let her shoot one as an adult doe and 2 fawns stood within 15 yds watching us stick the the 3 D target.  Just me but I'm guessing if you get away from the house your turkey expirience may be a little different.

Man this is really getting off track....
I have plenty of deer, turkeys, bear, and other critters in my yard...my yard happens to be 2 cleared acres in the middle of 120, with more all around. I live in the far NE part of WI....Big woods country. I know my area well. If i leave the comfort of my yard and get into the woods(maybe a hundred feet) it is not difficult to find turkeys there.
 I am not trying to say that I shoot out of my back yard, though I could. Hunting is n experience, not the kill. As I said before...I like a challenge. I suppose i am just spoiled. The abundance of turkeys in my area, while great...changed my view of turkey hunting since they became over abundant. I like viewing all animals, and never get tired of natures creatures...always a high for me.
I also have the deer, come in...moms bringing their fawns in ...showing them different places to get food at(apple trees).
Also, no one hunts them up here...so they just populate until they get hit by cars or predators get to them.

When I lived down state, you could not find a turkey...so it was a big deal. iI compare it to living in a big city...you have all kinds of things to do. Out of towners will take in things you may not have ever gone to...you take it for granted. Maybe I do...but it is not intentional.
All my kids were taken out in the field to hunt..experience everything...good for you and your daughters...good early training of sportsmanship and hunting ethics.

I agree with you on hunting....all types....and how it should be done.

Just a difference in opinion on the how I feel about turkey hunting where I reside/hunt, and how large numbers of birds change the experience and expectations.

Once again...no offence intended.
(Florence Co., WI)

Osty

Postby Osty » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:36 am

Never hunted turkeys.  Had about 50 of them fly/run at me during a deer drive.  Almost like ducks the way they came near me.  I had seen 7-9 in a cornfield across the road from my in-laws farm and I had 2 more come out during deer season.  Tons of turkeys in Waupaca/Outagamie county.

Osty

Postby Osty » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:43 am

I think it's almost expected to shoot a deer/turkey/bear each time you step in the woods.  I remember in the late 80's/early 90's when you could only shoot 1 deer with bow and 1 deer with gun (usually a buck).  Bow hunting then was challenging, still is.  Gun hunting even more but you had a little more chance for success when you could shoot a doe with a doe permit.  Now it's not unheard of to hear people shooting 4, 5, 6 + deer a year.  I think over 20 years ago, any deer was success. 

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin