2009 Opener

Centralwisconsinland

RE: 2009 Opener

Postby Centralwisconsinland » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:44 am

I hunt turkeys in what is called the eastern farmlands in Wisconsin, the same place that I hunt deer.  If I was to hunt in the area of the northern forest for turkeys or deer, most of my strategies and techniques would have to adapt to hunting big woods as opposed to farmlands.  When I hunt out of state I do what most hunters do, study topo maps, aerials and learn as much about the area that I am hunting. 

Enough of that rambling, I have the 3rd week of turkey season, will hunt them out of a tent(blind) and with my bow. Daughter #2 is getting married on that Saturday, hope I kill a turkey before Saturday or I will have a decision to make. lol 

It's easier to do a job right the first time than to explain why you didn't.

bowhunter53

Postby bowhunter53 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:03 am

I somewhat agree with mtnman in that turkeys are not to smart, especially when compared to a mature whitetail. They do however have extremely good eye sight and when hunted are enough of a challenge to make it very fun, at least in the spring. To me calling them in is the fun part, I rarely hunt them in the fall.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:05 am

I've hunted turkeys twice in Wis and it took me all of 30 minutes to tag out each time.  I have also hunted turkey in LA and MS and am the first to report that it is a real sport down there.  Just killing a bird in Wis did not light me up, it is a real sport in some other states.

Wis DNR is all over reducing deer but they have the turkeys in Shawano, Waupaca and Oconto counties out of control.  I have seen as many as 100 birds in our fields.  One night last year bow hunting I had 13 gobblers walk past me. 

The farmers around me feel like they do more damage than the deer.  If the DNR would open up the tags to let us do Quality Turkey Management I would sign up to help big time.  Only being able to shoot one male is not going to help control the population and since they dont taste all that good, I let my friends chase them around

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:19 pm

Amen to the WI part!
QDM!

Osty

Postby Osty » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:57 pm

My in-laws can hear them gobble in the morning.  It is neat to see them but when you see more turkeys than deer, a few more turkey tags need to be given out.  In-laws live near the Outagamie/Waupaca border - West of Hortonville/Southeast of New London.

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:35 pm

Boy there must not be many turkey hunters on here. Some of you on here really need to give them more credit than you do. Also, you can shoot more than one. You can buy extra tags or hunt in the fall too. I personally like the system because they don't hand out a 4free tags a day like they do for deer hunting.

Also, last turkey I ate tasted pretty good. Not much different than the ones you can buy in the store IMO.

Wish we had some more diehard turkey hunters on here.
Kyle

Previous

Return to Wisconsin