Open-Carry

DoeEyed

Open-Carry

Postby DoeEyed » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:54 pm

http://www.wisconsinoutdoornews.com/art ... news02.txt

Just finished reading this and thought I would share.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Goose

RE: Open-Carry

Postby Goose » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:04 pm

I read that in the WI outdoor news paper and thought it was interesting. I liked the part where if your on private land, call the police to have the warden removed. [:D]
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

mtnman

Postby mtnman » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:51 pm

As a FFL dealer since 1981, I have a good handle on the rights we have in regards to our guns.
Open carry....regardless of the agency involved is your right..period..end of story.
AS we have no concealed carry law in the state, open carry is allowed. It still carries the same restrictions...not in some public buildings and such, but not on private or public land.
A warden is a law enforcement officer only as far as wildlife goes. Unless he has some question about your illegal use of the firearm on your person in taking game, go tell him to jump in a lake...politely of course.
You still cannot, by law, carry a loaded gun in your car. Also when open carry, no part of your shirt , coat, or clothing can cover the gun. i carried a sidearm in the Milwaukee and Mequon area when we were doing work. All the police officers I ran into, never gave me greif or tried citing me for carry. Some cities will try to cite you for disturbing the peace, 'cause folks get all bent out of shape...I have never seen one of those charges stick. Your constitutional rights trump someone who is a ninny.
You are allowed to carry guns in the woods...regardless of type, and if you are hunting or not. I have seen gun laws come and go, and have dealt with those across the states. I do not beleive that concealed carry would cause a problem with more crime..the less so actually. It would make it easier for those who chose to, to carry without fear of a law infraction because a piece of clothing inadverently concealed part of the gun. I have no qualms about "hanging hardware" If I so choose. I know my rights under the law and both the US and State constitution. And neither should you.
(Florence Co., WI)

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:58 am

I've always wondered about the "no shooting on the Friday before gun hunting" rule.

So if your on private property you can carry a loaded weapon any time whether your hunting deer with the bow or just going for a walk in the middle of summer, correct????

I've called the DNR about carrying a pistol bowhunting in wolf and bear country and they told me as long as it's not concealed it's legal.

I've read somewhere that some hunters on private land where in their cabin and watched an unmarked truck pull into their land and head into the woods, so the landowner grabbed his pistol and hopped on his atv to investigate. Turned out to be wardens checking the woods and they issued him a citation for having a weapon uncased while operating an atv.
Stuff like this bothers me. What is a person supposed to do?
I would imagine this is a rare occurrence and hope it doesn't happen too often but its pretty sad when stories like that happen.
They shouldn't be able to just barge in trespassing in a unmarked truck and think the landowner should just wave and not question them.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Centralwisconsinland

Postby Centralwisconsinland » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:11 am

I have been in deer camps,  anytime the warden wanted to check the woods they stopped at the cabin first.  At least that is what I have seen.
It's easier to do a job right the first time than to explain why you didn't.

wack

Postby wack » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:24 am

WHU needs to sign Mr. Mark Palan up for membership! Good eye DoeEyed, thanks for sharing.
American by birth, hunter by choice.

mtnman

Postby mtnman » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:36 am

ORIGINAL: Goose

I've always wondered about the "no shooting on the Friday before gun hunting" rule.

So if your on private property you can carry a loaded weapon any time whether your hunting deer with the bow or just going for a walk in the middle of summer, correct????

I've called the DNR about carrying a pistol bowhunting in wolf and bear country and they told me as long as it's not concealed it's legal.

I've read somewhere that some hunters on private land where in their cabin and watched an unmarked truck pull into their land and head into the woods, so the landowner grabbed his pistol and hopped on his atv to investigate. Turned out to be wardens checking the woods and they issued him a citation for having a weapon uncased while operating an atv.
Stuff like this bothers me. What is a person supposed to do?
I would imagine this is a rare occurrence and hope it doesn't happen too often but its pretty sad when stories like that happen.
They shouldn't be able to just barge in trespassing in a unmarked truck and think the landowner should just wave and not question them.

Regardless of private land of not...you cannot, by law, carry loaded, or uncased firearm on any vehicle..car, truck, snowmobile, or ATV. If the wardens were crossing on private land, they should have stopped in and made themselves known first. Some wardens, though few, show little regard for the law they are suppose to uphold. This is indeed rare, but more common in public land.
Our warden up here is a great guy...almost all landowners know him, and he is straight by the books. You get no complaints from landowners up here. I would even invite him to a drink on the tailgate
(Florence Co., WI)

mtnman

Postby mtnman » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:37 am

Correct
(Florence Co., WI)

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:58 am

I agree, I've never had a trouble with a Warden and they have my respect.
Bad apples in every bunch to be sure.

I do have a good story though...

My buddy was out walleye fishing on Winnebago when he noticed that the Warden's boat was not working. Ended up being she ran out of gas, so he pulled her into the landing and went back to fishing.
The following day he was in the same spot fishing and here comes the same warden. She pulls up and what does she do? Checks his license and livewell along with everything else!

Just thought that was kinda crappy.
I've heard many stories similar to that one about this particular warden but I never had a run in with her. She's moved on to some where else now so thats good[:)]

I did get checked by a Warden this past bow season and he was real professional and I have no complaints with the encounter.
We ended up b.sing for a while and he gave me his card to contact him if ever need be.
Jake

wack

Postby wack » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:01 am

Question. In shotgun territory is it legal to use a rim fire rifle for coyote hunting. More specifically my 17 Cal. HMR in Winnebago county? 
American by birth, hunter by choice.

Next

Return to Wisconsin