A call to action

mtnman

RE: A call to action

Postby mtnman » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:37 pm

Thanks buckhunter21..we(all us deer hunters) can use all the help we can get.
Any bit is appreciated.
After we get the web site complete(hopefully by this weekend) we will put in our downloads section, postings that can be sent to your local newspapers, and handouts for local distribution.

We're getting there!

If you have not read in the news section of the site, Grouse Ridge Sports is providing an at least 10% discount on firearms and hunting supplies to those that sign-up form on the site. Not bad for doing nothing but a little typing..eh?
(Florence Co., WI)

mtnman

Postby mtnman » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:42 pm

Fish...
U daman...you slay me! LOL
We have been getting a steady sign up over the last few days. The more folks know, the quicker it will be to get more on board.
Some will figure  what is different with us comapred to others. We are you, the average Joe-deer hunter, trying to accomplish together, what you would do if you could by yourself.
(Florence Co., WI)

wack

Postby wack » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:02 am

I wouldn't say it was a wack attack. Sorry if it came across that way. I'm not one to leap before I look. After further review, you have my support. I went to the website today to sign up.  It says membership form is down until Feb. 1st. so I figured now is the time to ask a few simple questions.
 Name address, phone number, email address, a lot of personal info. How secure is it and what will be done with each? I don't want my info being sold, a bunch of junk mail or email, or phone calls from any sales people. Doubt that's your intentions, just asking to make sure.
American by birth, hunter by choice.

Fish

Postby Fish » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:07 am

Welcome Wack, we all appreciate your support.  Remember this is your group, its all of our group.  Your insight to all of our cause is greatly appreciated.

"Wack Attack".....I was poking a little fun there.  Different views on and educated discussions of those subjects is perfect.  We may never agree on everything but we can at least see each others side of things.

As for personal information and privacy, I'll let Mtnman discuss this.  Mtnman, maybe we should include a privacy statement on the website.  This information that is gathered is not for distribution, sale or any propoganda.  We would like this information, like a petition, so if and when we make a stand(not hunting), we can make a call to action. 

mtnman

Postby mtnman » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:06 pm

Hey wack....do not worry about your secuity....I run my own servers that are backed up with (protected by) software and hardware firewalls. Your concern with the information I ask is so when we put together county by county lists to help those representives, we can say, " look...here are all the people in your district that support us and our goals."  That and keeping those members with new info immediately to your email.

Fish is correct about no-distribution of names or sale of same.
I will add a privacy statement...no problem.

BTW...the memnership form is back up and running

Welcome home to WHU Wack!
(Florence Co., WI)

Fish

Postby Fish » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:16 pm

Hey Mtnman, we'll have to talk beginning of next week.  Jack has three groups( Merrill, Leona and Appleton) who want someone to go and speak to them.  We're going to have to set some sort of districts in the state and have reps help out.  I should be able to help the Appleton one.  Plus Antigo wants us back end of March, probably(according to an offer by the sheriff) with media.  Might be a good thing for us to meet soon too.  Beer and tailgate is fine.

Plus, did you see the number added today?  I checked about every hour.  We were gaining 6-10 an hour.  I hope your servers are big enough.  lol

wack

Postby wack » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:03 pm

I kind of liked the term Wack Attack, but that wasn't a full blown Wack attack.   I'm voice #025051. As you may have figured out, I'm not a follower by nature. If a crowd goes one way, I generally go the other way and blaze my own trail. As you can see by my so called Wack attack, I have a lot of ideas and try to bring different points of view into every subject I encounter. You all know my passions and goals for this state goes beyond deer hunting into bear, elk, bison, ans wolf hunting for starters. All missing or misplaced pieces of the puzzle that I think is key to saving deer hunting and turn deer hunting into big game hunting with a lot more options and a much brighter future for all..

You guys are right starting with deer hunting. These are battles we must fight and win and I hope as WE grow and get organized, that we can truly live up to the name of Wisconsin Hunters United. First things first.

My first official question for WHU is how do we get the word out to non internet Wisconsin Hunters? Of all the people I hunt with, none are online. Sorry, my generation didn't have computers in high school, we missed out by just a few years.  We're still working on getting cell phones.  Sounds like a joke, but I'm serious. I've talked to several of them and it's like they've been in a cave this past year and they too want to know what happened to all the deer. If we depend on local media for DNR info, they know nothing of what's going on. We need these hunters too. Any idea's?

BTW thanks for the warm welcome. Looking forward to contributing.
American by birth, hunter by choice.

mtnman

Postby mtnman » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:12 pm

I will be sending an e-mail to all those on the WHU forums and those that have sent in their membership to see if they want to help out. We may have to get this down to districts, then counties. Us being all volunteer, may keep some of us from being spread all over the place..[:)]

I watch the counter all the time, I also receive the new members via e-mail...so I know that we are doing better all the time.
Don't worry about my server sizing. They run AMD 9550 Phenom Quad Core processors, tons of memory, plenty of raid drives, and rock solid OS's...of course then again there is me that puts this stuff together and keeps it a hummin"
(Florence Co., WI)

mtnman

Postby mtnman » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:22 pm

Wack...I agree with you on direction...we all have more than one interest. This one that needs to be nipped in the bud now, or the others will not make a difference. It all types to make a whole...that is what makes an organization like this great.

As far as getting the non-net crowd. If you have a printer, you can go to our WHU downloads page and print out posters, handouts, cards and brochures out for those in your area. There is no special fee or permission required to use this info.

As I get a chance I will be making more types of literature available, as well as press releases that can be sent, or e-mailed to local media outlets.
(Florence Co., WI)

Fish

Postby Fish » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:53 am

Hey voice #025051,  I'd imagine your the guy that starts out a drive on one side,zig zagging thru the line and end up in another county.  Then all the guys after the drive sit around and wonder where the heck you went.  Always one in the group. 

I have absolutely no idea on that server talk, Mtnman.  You might as well be talking about knitting or in chinese.  Now I know how DNR Secretary Frank must feel when asked about deer hunting.

Seriously Wack,  when we started this I thought internet and e-mail would be the fastest and easiest avenue to gather members.  Hindsight tells us differently.  Jack's meeting in Antigo showed us, hunters would like to talk in person, in meetings, etc...

We also found out how important our mission statement was.  In this meeting, everyone had a different view of different subjects.  It was much easier to stand pat on our goals and explain we cannot deviate off the mission statement.  If we would, we'd divide our numbers.  We need the numbers to make things go, this is the reason we feel our mission statement represents every deer hunter(or as many as possible).

We've found that these meetings really get people fired up.  According to the business owner who donated the banquet room, it benefits him because he has lost so much revenue.  We are a bit surprised on how many groups want to meet in person. 

So if you have a group or hear of a group interested, just try to set it up.     

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin