DNR direction

Fish

DNR direction

Postby Fish » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:41 pm

Hey folks,

Just wantede to drop this information on the DNR plans on our deer herd.  It was confirmed by Jack and two other reps who were at the CC meeting in Dec.  This is from Matthew Frank, DNR Secretary:

[font=timesnewromanpsmt][left]The Department's management objective is to manage the population at the goals that have been established, not[/left][left]to set harvest records. This is important because the number of deer that hunters will be able to harvest is likely[/left][left]to decline in the future as hunter numbers decline (Figure 5). Clearly there will be a large decline in the number[/left][left]of deer hunters in the next 10 – 20 years as the baby boomer generation ages and moves out of the ranks of[/left][left]hunters. The ability to manage deer populations through hunting are at risk because the current deer herd is too[/left][left]large to be managed by fewer hunters.. It is imperative that we move deer populations significantly downward[/left][left]toward goal now, because the harvest capacity in the future will be insufficient to hold the deer population stable[/left]at the level it now exists.

[size=2]There will be no plans to let up this coming year.  This originally came from one of our sources in the capital.  I imagine what was said about foodplots will be made public soon.

[/size][/font]

cruiserdebo

RE: DNR direction

Postby cruiserdebo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:08 pm

IMO that's BS. that's too far out to start trying to thin the herd now because of "babyboomers" getting older.    -tim-
you go up on that ridge and I'll go down in the swamp....

mtnman

Postby mtnman » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:29 pm

ORIGINAL: cruiserdebo

IMO that's BS. that's too far out to start trying to thin the herd now because of "babyboomers" getting older.    -tim-

It may seem like BS....but this what we as hunters are looking at from those in charge of deer management. I am not surprised by much that comes out of Madison. Instead of looking at the down side..what may happen, look at the positive that happens when children are introduced to the outdoors and hunting. Promote hunting. It is good for all the economies and the state's coffers. If all the deer are gone, as well as the hunters, who is going to pay for the deer managers jobs in Madison...since they won't be needed?

http://wihuntersunited.org
(Florence Co., WI)

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:07 pm

What a disappointment is all I can say.  Maybe it's time to move to another state...No, I don't give up that easily but COME ON!  Ridiculous.  I already have plans on not taking any does on one of my properties next year, but as you know most deer have a range that's more than 80 acres.
QDM!

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:31 pm

Well, we still have a choice as to how many we shoot. Just because we have tags does'nt mean we have to fill every one of them.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:07 am

Agreed, we've been our own biggest enemy.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Fish

Postby Fish » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:19 am

As I've learned in the past, I must post proof of these statements.

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/nrboard/2008/April/04-08-3B2.pdf

Top of page 7.  "The truth?, you can't handle the truth!"

For further verification, Jack spoke with Warnke yesterday.  Jack had a very interesting conversation.  One of the first words out of Warnke mouth, "How's your little web thing going".

We have been recognized.  I would expect others(government officials and Departments) know of our efforts.  I can't explain how powerful and how much we could be heard with large numbers.

wack

Postby wack » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:37 pm

[:@]
American by birth, hunter by choice.

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:53 pm

Am I reading it wrong or is that for 08?
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:33 am

This is for 08.  I would like to see the graphs representing the herd updated for this year.  These can't be all they are going on here.
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

Next

Return to Wisconsin