9 day regular gun hunt

relentless_hunter_12

9 day regular gun hunt

Postby relentless_hunter_12 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:22 am

I dont know about any of you wisconsin hunters but this season was a drag! Did the rut come early? If so I think they should of had a early season for earn a buck,since im from Dane county thats the only thing we can do, or adjusted the season. I dont like the idea of adjusting the season as much though, it breaks tradition and why break whats not broke? But am I the only one who is fed up with the DNR in the last couple of years since the "Outbreak", I think they need to give it a rest and let hunting go back to the way it used to be. DNR has been here forever, thats been proven so why go to useless mesaures for nothing? I think the way to get more young people, since I am 14 but went with my dad since I was 3 or 4 and I know what people my age want, is to go back to having to shoot a buck first. I hear all the time from people older and younger than me who have been on countless hunts say they would hunt, or hunt more if it went back that way. The sad thing is I have seen many people stop hunting because of earn a buck and the terrible seasons for hunting because of the DNR reducing our herds. I love the 9 day hunt but recently its not much of a hunt after all. Thanks for reading and reply back I want you opinions.

Fish

RE: 9 day regular gun hunt

Postby Fish » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:08 pm

Relentless_hunter, welcome to our group.  It is great hearing from the future of our tradition.  You might reading about things about deer hunting or not seeing as many deer as you'd like, I ask you not to get discouraged.  Deer populations and deer seasons fluctuate, deer management plans get broken every now and then, season don't always work out the way you'd like.  That's why it's called hunting and not shooting.  If every year it was easy to shoot a monster, you'd loose interest too.

I suggest you enjoy the outdoor, appreciate the opportunity you have, listen/learn/enjoy your time with your father and practice good ethics and gun safety.  Your hunting will get better.

Your post really made me think and I appreciate your input.  We(adults) often think about our hunting success, things that upset us about how things are being handled.  It is important for all of us to remember the history and traditions for our future generations.

Don't worry, relentless.....it will get better.  Just remind your friends, this happens in cycles.

Fish

relentless_hunter_12

Postby relentless_hunter_12 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:19 am

Thankyou,
I was really intrested in your newest post I read it this morning, id love to get my dad and brother, maybe my grandfather to join...but the fact is not all my family are the kind of hunters we r. they just drive drive drive the deer and pick of anything, but that is only 2 people in the family, im sure i could try to sway the rest...well that is if it could help. I just dont think the other 2 would listen, good job and keep posting

Osty

Postby Osty » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:18 pm

Hey guys, long time looker and finally joined the site.

Slow season around Stevens Point area.  My Dad got a doe on opening day and that was the only deer he saw.  4 more days and didn't see anything.

I didn't see anything until Thanksgiving night when I got a 4 pt. around Appleton.  Not alot of shooting around Stevens Point or Appleton area.

relentless_hunter_12

Postby relentless_hunter_12 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:51 am

Ya, my brother goes to college there and said that the deer there dont look to be in the best shape, but I havnt seen any deer when ive been up there.

Osty

Postby Osty » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:49 am

Where I have land at is next to a large block of public land.  In the general area my Dad and I hunt, 6 deer were shot on opening day, 3 does, 2 doe fawns and 6 pointer.  The doe my Dad got was pretty decent but I think they need to do a little bit of habitat management like some cuttings or plots.

relentless_hunter_12

Postby relentless_hunter_12 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:49 am

ya, i dont have that problem, i hunt on prime hunting land so I wouldnt know much bout that...
"Hunting is not just a hobby, It's a lifestyle"

mtnman

Postby mtnman » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:51 am

Saw 1 buck...briefly while still hunting opening day around 11:00 am. Nothing the rest of the season...not even a doe or fawn.
bow and gun season totals were down in Florence County, where I live and hunt, 49.3 % over last year...and that year was slim.
I will never stop hunting, but getting a deer is the frosting on the cake in the overall experience. I may very well boycott DNR policy by not buying a license this year. If I am not going to see deer, then why provide funding to the agency that has just about busted our herd? Not saying I am anti-DNR, the folk s in the field do a bang-up job. This is more my way to send a message that we should get back to an elected position, rather than the political appointees by the Government. We have always had a hunter-agency cooperation that was the envy of other states. Now we are more like the dispised Michigan and Minnesota DNR or the past. Those two agencies are looked in higher favor than ours is these days..I guess we must hit bottom before things change. Hopefully for our deer herd, it will not be too little to late
(Florence Co., WI)

mtnman

Postby mtnman » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:54 am

One more thing....as it stands, more hunters and landowners will manage the herds on their property. The DNR can make policy as far as kills and such...but we are hunters and conservationists first...not the killers that the agency wants us to become.
(Florence Co., WI)

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:40 am

mtnman, i couldn't agree with you more!!!!
QDM!

Next

Return to Wisconsin