In WI the DNR estimates of how many deer out there are wrong

Fish

RE: In WI the DNR estimates of how many deer out there are wrong

Postby Fish » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:00 am

Artemis, we sometimes generalize farmers and I'm sorry if I came off like that.  I know many farming sportsmen and they don't ag tag the deer to death.  Some bad apples ruin it for the entire group and I think the amount of Ag tags supplied is the problem here. 

I do have to call you out on something.  Please prove insurance companies are behind the deer herd reduction.  I keep on hearing this argument but no one has any proof.  I've been in the insurance industry for over 20 years, I've spoke with Pres and VP of the two largest companies in the US.  Never/ ever has anyone asked for more deer to be shot.  Better yet, contact the President of WU and ask him.....he's been an agent for over 25 years.  We've talked many times.....Ins companies are not involved.  Pretty simple actually, hit more deer....increase premiums.

Do some research, the only information given to the states is how many deer are hit each year, thats it.  If you search further, you will find companies actually asked some states to publically deny their involvement.  It's a myth.

Sorry to rant, it just ticks me off.  Please...anyone...prove me wrong.  If I am, I will write a bunch more letters to ins co.  If you can't, please stop the emotional " big, bad insurance companies must be behind this".

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:20 pm

Fish, don't worry about ranting, regardless of what side you're on.  Have you seen many of my posts lately?  LOL.  Some people can choose to read it if they like, however, my dog doesn't have that same option, so I try to type on here.  Helps me burn some energy, and gives my trigger finger a good workout.  :)

Edit:
As long as the posts are clean, and I keep mine that way.  I mean no disrespect to anyone in particular, I'd rather hunt next to any of the guys/girls on here than a greenie any day.  Some topics sure get people fired up, there's no question about that, but when it's all said and done, we're all hunters, and enjoy the sport.

RNC

Postby RNC » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:11 am

I would have to say that the numbers seem to be off. We hunt just north of Grantsburg Wis and know several others who also bow hunt the area. All of us but one guys daughter has 20 to 45  years of bowhunting experience and most of it spent hunting this area so it's not like we are new to this and dont know what we are doing. Now the actual group (dad, my brother, brother in law and myself) I hunt with had a good year we definately saw fewer deer in general and far fewer bucks. We have kept written records over the last 10 years. Another group a couple (father and 2 sons) miles west of us got one doe for the season. they got the doe during the first week of November and didnt see another deer during the rest of the early archery season. Another group (father / daughter) were up the first tow weeks of November and didn't see a deer. The last guy was up the last week of October and the first two weeks of November and didn't see a deer. We all know a fair amount of the locals and we hear the same results from them.

I understand the cost of crop damage and car vs deer crashes and all that but this seems to be getting out of hand. There has to be some kind of compromise and granted I am not sure what that compromise is. Maybe elminate the T-zone hunts or what ever they are  called now, the extra gun hunts and bonus tags. In return make all licenses good for a buck and an anterless deer. That way all deer hunters can work on controling the doe population and keep that buck tag fora possible trophy.
Of course this is hard. It's supposed to be hard, thats what makes it great. If it was easy everyone would do it!

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:35 am

When I was registering a deer on opening day of gun season there was a DNR guy at the station so I asked him how many deer had been registered and he said over 100. The registration lady hurried over with her scorecard and counted off the deer and loudly announced 42 had actually been registered. If they can't count dead deer that come by them 1 at a time, how can they expect to count live ones?

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:24 am

Yeah don't know how they couldn't count right since you need a master degree to work for the DNR.  Must be math isn't part of getting a masters degree.

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:50 pm

welcome Wolf River Hunter !
Where do you hunt? Do you bow hunt, gun hunt, mzl hunt?
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:36 pm

I hunt near the Wolf River. By Hortonville to be more specific. I hunt with bow and shotgun and someday I'll get around to muzzleloader. 130 acres of family land, no threat of shooting any record book bucks there but it's my little piece of heaven on earth.

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:38 pm

Thanks for the welcome Goose, it beats the greetings I usually get on message boards by a mile. ;-)

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:44 pm

Sounds like a nice piece! I know somebody that hunts there, his family has 600 acres I think. Low pressure and alot of nice bucks.
I hunt near Fremont and also Poysippi.

All good people here and good discussions don't be afraid to chime in!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:07 pm

Co-worker hunts near Fremont, usually has good luck but this year was awful. Hope you fared better!

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin