In WI the DNR estimates of how many deer out there are wrong

Bigfoot

RE: In WI the DNR estimates of how many deer out there are wrong

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:02 pm

i am so glad i dont rely on what's seen in gun season to base my decision on how many deer are out their otherwise i would think theirs zero deer out their(which is how many i saw during gun season)......but i live on the hundred acres that i hunt on and watched 15-20 deer at a time be in our front yard this summer and 2 or 3 would leave and 5 more would show up....so i knew their was plenty of deer on my property.......so me and my dad between archery and gun managed to get 7 total this year

and 2 nights ago their was 19 deer in the front yard,so removing 7 didnt do much to the herd here

i can only imagine what the deer per square mile is here if a square mile equals 640 acres,and their's 19 at one time on our 100 acres

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:28 pm

I got some does, saw alot of deer and passed on many bucks, just couldn't get the big ones close enough.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:44 am

So that is where all the deer went, they are hanging out on Bigfoot's place! Where exactly do you hunt again.....

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:49 am

The DNR finally got access to the Hortonville Bog, a previously land locked 500+ acre tract of public land, thinking I might give that a try next year for late season since our woods is pretty much empty by December and the bog is a spruce swamp. Kinda intimidated by 500+ acres of thick stuff that is way to easy to get turned around in. Might need a GPS unit.

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:52 am

I've heard of a 600 acre of public in the same situation in or near Shiocton. 600 acres that was public with absolutely no right of way.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:14 am

Could be the same one Goose, it's officially called the Hortonville Bog I believe but I've also heard of people saying it's in New London and I could see how someone with bordering land to the north could say it is in Shiocton. My grandfather has land in the same swamp and I used to get Christmas trees from it when I as little. I ended up on the wrong side of the swamp as many times as I ended up on the side I came in. Intimidating stuff but should be pretty good hunting.

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:08 am

I work with some one that used to be part of a club there years ago,the land they hunted bordered up to this public.From what I understand the land and hunting is phenomenal, I'm sure it will get hit pretty hard next year.
I've also heard that there are signs out there that say this land is not public Yet.
Don't know what that means.
Jake

MDV WI hunter

Postby MDV WI hunter » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:29 am

hey guys (& gals),

Running out of time on my lunch break but wanted to chime in.  I hunt public land in Jackson Co. just outside of Millston, heavy pine woods with little food.  The last 5 years have been real sparse, this year we saw 3 and harvested one on opening weekend but a very slow opening weekend nonetheless.  No hunters, not many deer, didn't hear much shooting. 
Flip side of that, I just relocated to the southwestern part of the state in Lafayette Co.. - In-laws farm as well as everyone else in the area.  I received permission to hunt the land out there and within 30 minutes ( on Monday) of getting to my blind I took a nubby.  I then took a doe the next time I went out and saw two nice bucks out of range.  We're currently watching a dozen or so for next year. 
My point is I'm really torn on herd population.  Jackson Co used to rate in the top 10 counties, I haven't checked this year but we didn't see much.  Scouting revealed it should have been a good area, good sign, bedding, water, shelter, etc....  What to do now, hunt farm land or head up north with the boys.... I'll keep you posted.

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:38 am

Welcome, it sounds like you have a dilemma on your hands!
Congrats on your deer as well!
Keep us posted!
Jake

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:13 am

I believe the farmer that sold the land to the DNR has put up signs stating that it isn't open yet. He has a pretty huge farm and i think it is only a 20 acre corridor he sold for access to the public land. They haven't put in a parking lot or established line fences yet so I'm sure he doesn't want the general public all over the rest of his property.

I remember when they opened the LaSage hunting land up just down the road from there, there would be 5-7 cars in the parking lot and if you looked closely you could generally see most of the hunters set up near the field edges (where they could see their cars). I'm sure the Bog will be the same with a lot of hunters setting up near the Ag fields.

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin