Recipes

Centralwisconsinland

Recipes

Postby Centralwisconsinland » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:28 pm

My wife is working late, and then going to the Gym.  So I told her that I will make supper.

My choice is Venison Meat Loaf Italian Style.
1-1/2 lbs. Ground Venison
8 oz. Italian bread crumbs
8oz. can tomato sauce
4 slices bacon
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 tsp. salt (sea salt)
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 eggs beaten
2 T. olive oil

Combine ingredients mix except the bacon, pre heat oven 350 degrees, in a greased meat loaf pan, lay the 4 strips of bacon on the bottom of pan. place mixture in pan a bake 45-50 minutes.  Serve with tossed salad, baked potato w/sour cream and butter, and dinner rolls.   

So what do you think.  I usually make this at the deer shack during the rifle season.  Anyone want to share their recipes.   
It's easier to do a job right the first time than to explain why you didn't.

Goose

RE: Recipes

Postby Goose » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:31 pm

Sounds good, what time is it gonna be ready???
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Centralwisconsinland

Postby Centralwisconsinland » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:48 pm

We ate at 7:30 it was great.  Sorry Goose no left overs.

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:02 pm

ever tried to put the bacon on top so the grease cooks down through the meat?  not that this doesn't already make my mouth water!

Centralwisconsinland

Postby Centralwisconsinland » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:26 am

I have done that and/or also cut the bacon up and mixed it in the meat loaf.

Washburn

Postby Washburn » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:58 am

That recipe sounds really good.

I like to cook and really enjoy cooking and eating venison. My brother and I cut up all of our deer ourselves. We bone out all the meat. A favorite is boneless loins. We usually cut them in half or thirds, then FoodSaver them, then in the freezer. Here's a really simple, but delicious way to make 'em:

Place a medium sized saute/frying pan over medium high heat. Add a film of olive oil and when it's smoking add the loin. I usually season the loin with salt, pepper, and garlic.

Just sear the loin on all sides; just so the surface is nice and crunchy and dark, not burned.

Remove the loin from the pan and place in a shallow baking dish. Place the dish in a 350 degree pre-heated oven. Roast the loin for 10 minutes.

Remove and let the loin rest at room temperature for about 10 minutes.

If you want, while the loin is resting, return the frying pan to heat, deglaze the pan with red wine, scrape up all the tasty crunchy stuff left in the pan, add a little butter, and now you have a quick sauce for your loin.

After the loin has rested, slice in half inch thick medallions and serve with the sauce. Goes great on it's own or with rice, potatoes, squash...any vegetable.

IMO venison is best served rare to medium rare.

Washburn
"As the light grows dimmer and the trail begins to fade, my sweetest dreams are those of yesteryear, at deer camp."

Osty

Postby Osty » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:51 am

Centralwisconsinland:

Where do you hunt at?  I hunt North of Stevens Point

Centralwisconsinland

Postby Centralwisconsinland » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:53 am

Thanks Washburn,

I think you just gave me the meal for Friday Night deer camp 2009.  Sounds great!!!!!!!!!

Osty welcome to the forum.  Saw your 10 Pt from 2005. Nice deer congrats.  Sounds like you hunt close to the Dewey.  I live in Stevens Point, hunt in Marathon County north of Rosholt towards Elderon.

Osty

Postby Osty » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:10 pm

Central:

Thanks.  I have a small piece of land bordering the Dewey Marsh, just off of Hay Meadow Rd.  Just up the road is the Marathon county border.  It's kind of swampy with a couple pockets of pine/hardwoods.  Deer taste pretty good even though it's a little distance from any fields.

Return to Wisconsin