The Cost of Hunting

mtnman

The Cost of Hunting

Postby mtnman » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:14 pm

Many agree that the DNR, has for quite some time, been off with its' herd estimations, and not just for deer.
While we have the Conservation Congress to supposedly speak for the hunters and the local areas, they are but an advisory board, and hold very little weight with the DNR and the State.

I think that those in the hunting community having some say so on the game quotas based on local observation, is way past due.

The only thing I fear that will get the DNR, Dept of Ag, and the State to get serious about this, is a hit in the wallet.
While I believe that some of these managers actually do believe their figures, a shot to the State and local governments' coffers will get both local and state officials' attention.

We'll see what comes out of the spring meetings in 2009. If the DNR's fixation is more of the same, then I see/have no problem for calling for a boycott on buying hunting licenses this coming year, and all the items that go along with hunting. Since hunting dollars are the single biggest (not imposed) revenue stream in the state, we have alot more clout than we are giving ourselves credit for.

I am a hunter, not a shooter. And if it means not hunting deer for a year (or?) to maintain a healthy herd, then so be it. And this is from a guy who lives in the woods and hunts when ever he can. But protecting the health of our game species, is worth a bit of sacrifice now.

One other footnote: I own a  retail Outdoors Sports (hunting only..no team sports junk) establishment here in the northwoods...so yes...I would be fincially effected, and have quite abit to lose. Putting my money where my mouth is..so to speak.
(Florence Co., WI)

Ugnasty77

RE: The Cost of Hunting

Postby Ugnasty77 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:13 pm

man, i feel your pain.  i let a few does walk past me this year, one because some were too small for my likeing, and two i found it hard to have to shoot a doe because of the EAB when i know that the deer population in my area isn't what they say it is. I really only saw 4 does walking around my property this year, and i missed the nice big one twice, and honestly im kinda glad.  I wanna get the population up again where i hunt, but with the talk of EAB going into 2012 and beyond, i dont think that is gonna happen.

I agree with you and something needs to be done, but it is gonna be super hard for me to pass up on deer hunting, and i honestly dont think that i can do it. Being up in my stand is the only thing that keeps me sane in the fall. I really hope the DNR can see what we see, and that we can get someone in there that knows whats going on, and can fix the crap situation that we have going on here.

mtnman

Postby mtnman » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:35 am

Hunting does not mean shooting. Over the many years, I have got nothing at all, and for the most part we knew we probably would not. That being said, I still would go out. Deer hunting and deer camp is indeed part of who we are. You do not need to pay the state for a license in order to enjoy the season. Some of us have gotten away from being hunters to shooters. I would still at any time make a visit to the woods during deer seasen, experience the feeling and commadare of deer camp and the fantastic feeling of being one with the woods while on stand.

The DNR can do what it can take away the deer from us, but they can never take away who we are inside and the thrill and happiness we garner from being deer hunters.
(Florence Co., WI)

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:36 am

I couldn't agree with both of you guys more.  I love hunting, and as much as I love seeing deer when I'm on stand, it's not all about that and I would have no problem passing does up in order to get our population in the area I hunt back to where it was.  Matter of fact, I passed up pretty much every doe I saw this fall during bowhunting.  I did take one doe, and that was on on one of our properties where the doe/buck ratio is out of wack due to the lack of hunting on the parcel next to us; the deer just congregate in there, so I took one for the freezer.  I did the same thing during the gun season.  Our other property is another thing totally different.  I haven't seen such small numbers of deer hunting that property in years...so we made a promise to pass up does there for the next few years, and only harvest 2.5 YO bucks and older.  I do spend a ton of money each year whether that be for preparing and putting in food plots, hunting equipment, etc, but the love for hunting will never die for me whether I'm seeing 100 deer or none.  Granted, like I said, the more deer I see the happier I am which goes for most of us!

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:34 pm

I also agree with you guys, but I don't think I could go a year without shooting a deer. The deer or 2 that I harvest is the main meat my family consumes. We eat venison a lot and it's nice to fill the freezer while doing something I love.

Note- I usually only take 1 doe and aren't like some of the guys that hunt around me that shoot 3 does out of a group of 4.
Kyle

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Buckhunter21 you said it well and Im kinda in the same situation, one property theres alot of deer and doe to buck is about 3 to 1 so Ill take my does for EAB there and also for the joy of taking a doe. The other land I hunt is about 2 to 1 bucks so I wont be shooting any does there.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Fish

Postby Fish » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:20 pm

I have been looking into another out-of-state hunt.  I go to WY every year, if I had to give up all deer hunting except one hunt, I would keep WY.  I can't explain the enjoyment I get out there.  Walk and stalk all day, no back tag or other stupid rules, seeing hundred plus deer a day.  Just amazing.  From the time we check in our hotel, our guns are uncased and loaded....walk across the street with gun slung on shoulder and into gas station...nobody looks twice at you.  You just feel free.  Walking for miles and not seeing another hunter, priceless. 

I couldn't afford another hunt like WY each year but If I could find something half the price, I'd probably drop bowhunting and most of the gun season.  Can't give up opening morning at the deer camp(tradition).  A friend of mine has a place to hunt in Indiana and Missouri.  They really get some nice bucks.  The price of out of state license is less than $150.  So you figure $100 buck for hotel or camp, 100 for gas,  probably a long weekend hunt for under $500.  With all the junk I spend in WI, I probably get close to 500.  I'm seriously considering this if something isn't done with our herd.  I know for a fact, my father, his GF, my uncle and cousins will not purchase a bow license next year.

It's really sad to think about giving up WI for awhile but what does a guy do?  Hunted this morning, just a beautiful morning to hunt, saw nothing.  Walked the property, one wondering buck track and two doe tracks, thats it.  Giving up on this property this year, it can't handle a doe being taken off.

Mtnman, hows the hunting up there in the UP?  You must hear a lot about it.

mtnman

Postby mtnman » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:11 pm

Hey BWB..We depend on venison here too...the point is, if the numbers deteriorate too much..you not be getting any at all. This is all starting to go back to the late 60's and seventies, where you could not buy a deer. If all the license holders took just one doe(not statisically possible), it would be like the turn of the century...and we cannot afford that!

Of the bucks and does I passed on during bow season...one could kick ones-self. But, as much as I live for the hunt, I can go without for the good of the herd. But it takes more than one. We can hope for a mild winter, and a spring fawn drop that is ahead of bears coming from their dens...the last two years has been just the opposite.
(Florence Co., WI)

mtnman

Postby mtnman » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:25 pm

Fish...you have it right. My brother does the early November Minnesota hunt every year...they pitch a tent in the middle of nowhere, and get plenty of action and big bucks. It is all public land hunting, but is far from any town in the far north of the state. He is a surveyor, but is having sugery on shoulder...he will not be returning to surveying. After his rehab, he will be leaving Wisconsin for Minnesota to start a guide service. It won't be a big to-doo, but is something that suites him.

The guys in the UP always complain about no deer...always the wolves they say...yet no one ever seems to not get a buck or tag a doe...usually just bucks.

A buddy of mine is a taxidermist in Iron Mountain, MI, and is always back-logged...cannot say the same for the taxidermists in WI..

I guess I will have to concentrate on small game with my bow...that should be a hoot!  Going to try coyote hunting...there is so dang many of them, should have them stacked up like cord-wood![:)]
(Florence Co., WI)

wack

Postby wack » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:15 pm

All you guys thinking about skipping deer hunting next year, get involved.  I skipped this past 4 day hunt, took the gas money I saved and sent it to Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. They're fighting the feds on the wolf front, have spent $5 million on Wisconsin's elk, research habitat and education for our state, and is one of many hunting organizations that's been fighting for us for a long time. If not RMEF then find another organization and fight back. Let's not sit around doing nothing til next year.
 When it comes time to buy next years license, I'll make that choice then. I get my patron's every year so maybe next year I fill the freezer with ducks and geese?  I don't know.

American by birth, hunter by choice.

Next

Return to Wisconsin