If my zone is EAB next year I am hunting with my video camera only!

Fish

RE: If my zone is EAB next year I am hunting with my video camera only!

Postby Fish » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:13 am

Stump, if you want me to believe you, please give the proof.  I was am auto claim rep in WI for 10 years and an agent for another 10.  This is with the two largest insurance companies in the US.  Several family members are also in the industry.  A friend of mine who is an agent, is also the president of WU.  He meets with the DNR and other agencies often. We have never heard anything regarding insurance companies wanting less population or "deer densities" in WI(which is one in the same).  No offense, but obviously you are privelegde to more information on this matter than I.

stumpsitter66

Postby stumpsitter66 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:40 am

We have never heard anything regarding insurance companies wanting less population

OK, maybe you are right. But given these facts, I would say they would want less, not more deer.

1. According to the Wisconsin Insurance Alliance, deer-vehicle collisions cost an average of $2,800 per insurance claim; an injury to someone in the vehicle can boost that number to $10,000.

2. WIA reports that five cents of every auto insurance premium dollar goes to pay for the direct insured costs of deer/auto collisions. Research suggests that the total direct costs of deer/vehicle collisions were between $21-$43 per licensed Wisconsin driver.

3. Records indicate there were 18,000 deer-vehicle collisions in Wisconsin in 2007, resulting in 14 deaths statewide, according to the state Department of Transportation. Between January and August of 2008, there were 7,588 deer-car crashes, including six fatalities.

Fish

Postby Fish » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:02 am

Exactly, insurance companies are great with giving statistic and percentages.  In fact, that is what insurance is about.  Collecting premium from a large group to pay claims of a few(law of large numbers).  I always tell people that insurance companies are just big banks, we collect premium to pay for loses and our operating expense.  If we pay out more in claims, expect a rate increase.  If we pay out less, we'll have to reduce the premium to stay competitive.  So regardless of the amount of deer hits, our rates would remain constant with our loss ratios.  Eliminating deer hits would in no way make us more money.

Previous

Return to Wisconsin