If my zone is EAB next year I am hunting with my video camera only!

bigwisconsinbucks

RE: If my zone is EAB next year I am hunting with my video camera only!

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:07 pm

Yeah I don't think I could skip a hunting season either and even if I don't see a deer for a sit or two it's just so pleasant to sit out in the woods and relax and get your mind off other things.

This season has been very slow for me also. I have seen a total of 34 deer in 55 plus hours of hunting. I'm sure some of these deer are the same ones so I'm sure the actual total of different deer is less than 30. If there are so many deer in WI then why aren't us hunters seeing the deer? The DNR needs to get their facts straight and do their jobs.
Kyle

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:36 pm

I agree that I couldn't miss a bow season. Gun-maybe, Bow-no

Blaming the dnr on here is going to do nothing. Most of us saw less deer this year and the harvest numbers back that up. Do something about it. Write your Representatives and dnr.
How many people on here have read the Wisconsin deer management plan? http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/HUNT/deer/Deerbook.pdf
Read and keep an open mind and then voice your opinion. There are 2 sides to every story.
Again I'm not defending the WIDNR because there are many things I dont agree with but beating a dead horse does none of us any good or change anything.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

highview72

Postby highview72 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:39 am

Everybody keeps talking about how they hope the DNR will fix this problem but what you are not realizing is that this is exactly what the DNR wanted. This is the population goals they are shooting for! They are not going to fix anything. Read the management goals. When you do the math it comes out to 1.2 deer per 40 acres of "deer habitat". So for you guys with private land, even if your 40 acres is 100% wooded, the DNR wants the deer population on that 40 to be approximately 1.2 deer. Does that sound acceptable? I dont think so. The hunters need to band together and let the DNR know what we think of their "goals" or this year will be the norm. They have destoyed what was once one of the best hunting opportunities in the entire country. If you were happy with this years hunt, do nothing. If not, you need to make your voice heard before its too late.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:08 am

Hunting in WI is a huuuuuuuuuuge money-making industry for the state.  I know there are two sides to every story, but I can't even begin to think of why they want to take down the herd so much.  Yes, there are diseases out there, yes there are car accidents, and yes, there is crop damage...But hasn't this always been the case?  By looking at the map of the possible zones for next year it does look like the whole state is going to be EAB.  Pretty sad.  I had my worst gun season as far as deer sightings.  Even though I love sitting out on stand, it's hard to sit for two days, 12 hours each day, and not see a single deer.  Pretty frustrating if you ask me.  But, again, we have to do something about this instead of complaining about it on here.  Talk to your local DNR and state reps to see if we can put a stop to this and see if they can start listening to us hunters for a change?!

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:09 am

There are a lot of hunters out there, who enjoy going out, there are some hunters out there, who love hunting and wouldn't drop it for the world, and then there are some people who are being introduced to hunting and are unbiased at this point and time.  I would hate to see the state lose 50% of it's hunters due to lack of deer sightings, and youngsters not showing interest anymore because it's too cold, and boring.  Losing 50% of the 1.2 billion dollar industry, you're talking about people losing jobs, companies going under (small sport shops, butchers), roads having less money from the revenue, and you know that if that's the case, they will just raise the taxes, and WI is already taxed enough.  As far as deer/car accidents, WI isn't even in the top 10 in the nation, and they are crying about that?  Sure, 10 years ago we were in the top 10, but 10th place at that.

Nothing against farmers personally, but you can make a direct link to the farmers who ask for these special harvest permits, and the loss of income the state would be accumulating.  In the article linked by Goose, the DNR stated that statewide the loss of agricultural crops, and deer car related accidents was estimated at $100 million.  Keep in mind, I've never come across an insurance agency that told me the truth about anything, as far as what is the best coverage for me, but rather what is the best coverage that will make their insurance company the most money.  In addition to this, the agricultural crop damage, obviously was when the prices were at it's $8 dollar a bushel.  That is no longer, so the totals in that "estimation" are obviously high. 

While the loss of 50% of the states hunters is only $600 million.  From a financial stand point it makes more sense, to be extra careful about the hunters, and make sure you don't lose a lot of them.  While the market for agricultural prices fluctuate, as we see now, the only flucuation in the revenue from hunting licenses, granted the same amount of people hunt would be whether or not they raise the prices of the licenses.  Of course gas prices go hand in hand with some of the money hunters spend, but I don't think that this $1.2 billion they speak of ever accounted for that.  Since the numbers I've seen have been over a billion for several years, not necessarily since the gas prices jumped over 2 bucks a few years back.  Keep in mind, regardless of where this goes will have a serious impact on land prices as well.  It all comes down to greed, and who is being favored at that particular time.  Everything will come crashing down again, corn prices, gas prices, housing market and land prices.  As a matter of fact, it already has as a number of you already noticed.  That is a simple fact of life.  What goes up, must come down, and I think they are taking the deer population too literally with that saying.

Anyway, I've been extremely upset about this topic for a long period of time.  I've been putting together facts over the past year (thanks for the link Goose, it is helping me out a ton, as I've never seen this before) to help the hunters argument since the rest of the state is looking at it from a financial aspect.  i.e.  Insurance companies, farmers, tree farmers (lumber companies).  Seems to me, we are pretty much right back to where we were when we first colonized WI, except we have a lot of wolves that are making a strong comeback, as opposed to us shooting them when we see them. 

If you have any interesting facts, monetarily or whatever else that you think will be useful during my presentation at the next hearing this coming spring, please feel free to post it on here, or you can email me at gafrage@hotmail.com

I will be more than willing to take your ideas, facts and proven data into serious consideration.  Keep in mind, my argument is going to be solely on the financial aspect, and followed up by tradition, family values, and heritage.

Fish

Postby Fish » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:18 am

I sent a letter to the DNR.  Your response will be a form ltr response from Warnke(?).

I have written letters to the State Reps, they are not happy with the DNR either, their is quite a few deer hunting Reps out there.  The last opinion from my Rep was that the State Leg would like to disolve the DNR as is and start over. BUT and it's a big BUT, the Governor has most of the control as he elects the DNR board members.  Even the "regular" DNR employees at local levels would like to see the board members elected rather than appointed.  Keep on contacting them, it's the only thing we can do.

Also, I suggest you Google "Unified Sportsmen of PA Sues Game Commission".  They have sued the G & F commision several times.  Although they lost the last lawsuit, they have stopped the overharvest of doe in the past.  The judge previously ruled they have a say in the deer harvest. 

Nubs

Postby Nubs » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:47 am

"beating a dead horse does none of us any good or change anything."

It may not accomplish much...but it sure is fun. [;)]

highview72

Postby highview72 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:52 am

It may seem like your not getting anywhere but keep contacting your Reps and DNR officials. Write letters to magazines and post on forums like this one. The more noise you make, the more you atrract attention and thats the only hope we have to get things changed. I have contacted the Wisconsin Deer Hunters Assoc to see if they would be interested in helping the cause. No response yet. Im not sure of their position. I am also going to contact Whitetails Unlimited. Warnke can go wreck somebody elses deer herd!

Fish

Postby Fish » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:01 am

Highview,

I'm not sure about the WI hunters Asso but I doubt Whitetails will help.  Not that they don't want to but I don't think the politically can.  But be assured, WU officals are not please.....I know

highview72

Postby highview72 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:08 am

..... and thats fine if they cant help. Its just as important to make noise and make organizations aware that many of their supporters are not happy with what is going on over at the DNR. The word still gets spread around.

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin