If my zone is EAB next year I am hunting with my video camera only!

Gafrage

RE: If my zone is EAB next year I am hunting with my video camera only!

Postby Gafrage » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:49 am

ORIGINAL: wack

This could be copied in Some Southern Wisconsin's State parks with both elk and bison and If I'm not mistaken, I think there is A state park in Central WI. that already has a few buffalo...? Yep, sure enough, check it out....  http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/reclands/sandhill/bison.htm

Last time I checked, Madison is in Southern Wisconsin, and there are lots of State parks around here.

I already quit arguing.  However, if you want to keep poking the bear, go ahead, this one's going to hibernation now.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:44 am

ORIGINAL: Centralwisconsinland

Here how to Earn a Buck with a 27 point doe

[color=#0000ff][size=2]http://www.kansas.com/690/story/626780.html[/size][/color]

Yea, I heard about this.  Being that it has antlers though I be it would be classified as a buck though, so no EAB!  LOL  Just like small spikes and nubbins are considered does in sake of EAB.

highview72

Postby highview72 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:31 am

I guess one thing we could do in EAB units is only shoot nubbys. It would help the population but kill the buck herd. Actually I think our only real choice is to refuse to shoot does regardless if we are in a EAB or not. Its not going to be fun or easy... but sitting in the woods for 9 days without seeing a deer isnt fun or easy either. It would kill me to sit out there and know I cant shoot but its our only choice in these areas. If you believe in the cause, its worth the sacrifice. In the non EAB units, everyone needs to apply for hunters choice and refuse to use it on a doe. Buy all the bonus tags you can afford and burn them. That will insure that the number of does killed in these units will go down. When you are in the field, stop and talk to every hunter you see. Let them know you are doing your part by not shooting does and maybe they will do the same knowing they wont pass a big doe only to have it shot over the next ridge or the next property. A less crappy choice would be if you are in a EAB unit, go ahead and take that doe to get your sticker and save it. Quit for the year and try for that buck next year.That way you would only be shooting a doe every other year. Just some thoughts. We just need to remember we have the control even if the choices suck. If hunters organize, the DNR has no power over us. Right now they are banking on the fact that we as hunters "have to get a deer" so we will follow their rules and go against what we know is right. How many times have you heard a hunters say " I had to shoot her to get my sticker" after taking a doe. It obviously was against their will and took much of the thrill out of hunting for that person. We have become DNR deer harvestors instead of hunters. I for one will not do their bidding anymore.  So man up and do your part for a better future.

mtnman

Postby mtnman » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:57 am

Minnesota has by far more wolves than WI or MI.
Check for all info here..
http://www.fws.gov/midwest/wolf/populat ... wi_nos.htm
(Florence Co., WI)

mtnman

Postby mtnman » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:01 am

While I do not have EAB up herem I could not agree with you more. Sounds like  a state wide solution to keeping the herd from going down the toilet
(Florence Co., WI)

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:07 am

I have already started that where I hunt.  I will only shoot a antlerless deer every other year.  I hunt an area where everyone wants to use there 4 free cwd tags and shoots every doe that comes by.  Its sad.

stumpsitter66

Postby stumpsitter66 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:45 am

Hunting in WI is a huuuuuuuuuuge money-making industry for the state.

Yes, it makes them some money. But what they make in license sales is a drop in the bucket compared to other industries that don't want that many deer on the landscape: timber industry, dairy industry, cash crops, auto insurance industry etc.

They aren't wrong on their herd estimates either. Do the math. They want a post hunt herd of 700,000 deer with densities ranging from 15 to 30 deer per square mile depending on where you are at. That's 30 deer for every 640 acres of habitat! If the deer cooperated and dispersed out evenly, that would be a HIGH end of one deer for every 21.3 acres. On the low end (Bayfield, Ashland counties, etc up north), that would be one deer for every 42.6 acres.

Fish

Postby Fish » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:13 am

Argh!  How much money does the auto insurance industry give WI?  It's public knowledge if they did, please share.  Why would insurance companies pay large amounts of money in order to lower claims under comprehensive?  These amount could not come from premium collected from insured, if they did, the Insurance Commisioner and class action lawsuits would be all over them.  Insurance companies cannot used earned premium to "pay off" goverment officals.

The only thing given to the state is how many vehicle/deer collisions occur.  If there are more collisions, our loss ratios would require us to increase premium.  What you fail to understand is the positive impact deer collisions have with other industries.  Call some body shop, dealers and part supply stores.....the last few years, the lack of deer hits has hurt them badly. 

stumpsitter66

Postby stumpsitter66 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:23 am

I wasn't trying to say the insurance industry is giving/getting money from the state. What I was saying, as with the other examples, is they DON'T want high deer densities. They don't want claims, and believe me they have lobbied Madison for lower deer densities, just as the farm and ag interests have. The bigger point is the densities, though. Most people get hung up on the total herd pop estimate. It's all about the density, and it is very easy to understand once you put into a number as stated.

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin