Hunters, official bicker over number of deer

[font=verdana]Image[/font]

if (document.layers) {document.write(''); document.close();}
coreAdsCreate('wnsz_20', 'loc', '100', 'wnsz_20', 'News');
[font=verdana][/font]

[font=verdana]Image[/font][/align][/align]

[font=verdana][size=100]
[/font]
Associated Press - December 8, 2008 11:05 PM ET [/align]MADISON, Wis. (AP) - Now that the gun deer season is over, hunters are second guessing the state Department of Natural Resources' estimates on the deer population.[/align]DNR wildlife biologist Keith Warnke says he gets many messages from hunters that say the agency is overestimating the size of the deer herd and risking permanent damage to the population by encouraging more hunting through relaxed regulations.[/align]
[color=#000000]But he and other DNR biologists believe signs like the high number of animals killed, the continuing problem of car-deer crashes and increasing crop damage point to a herd too big.
[/align] [/align]So for those who think Warnke might let up on the doe slaughter and go back to a more normal season.....think again. He still thinks its too big.[/align][/align][/align][/size][/color][/align]

stumpsitter66

RE: Warnke needs to go

Postby stumpsitter66 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:35 am

There is an easy way to fix this. We all need to band together once again and stop killing does. If they try to put earn a buck in there again next year refuse to kill does on your land and go shoot them on public land. They are expecting hunters to lay down and follow there iron fist rules.

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:18 am

I read the article in the Wisconsin State Journal and Warnke said that the herd is still to big and we need to get the number down.  Is he deaf and blind because most hunters are screaming about how there are less deer and he is receiving emails everyday about  how there are no deer and he isn't listening.  WARNKE NEEDS TO GO.  That's the bottom line.

Fish

Postby Fish » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:24 am

I'm in the insurance biz.  I can tell you the number of deer/car crashes have decline dramatically the last 3-4 years, in fact, I only had one report all year at my agency.  Look on the road, have you ever seen such a little amount of road kill?  When is the last time you saw a few deer out in a field at dusk?  It's been a long time for me.  What he says doesn't hold true.

Regarding the large harvest numbers, minus this year where the numbers have gone way down, I think it's pretty easy to explain.  Take a chunk of land, put up a 10 ft fence, put 100 deer in it and 25 hunters.  Success rate would be 25 and the herd would seem large based on harvest figures.  Now put 30 deer in the same area and 25 hunters.  Same harvest figures and from an outside view, large population due to harvest.  Only when the figures decline would there be a clear indication of low population.  Warnke believes since hunters continue to take 400,000 animals a year, there is an over abundance but what he doesn't consider is this.  We are hunters, it is in our blood to hunt as long and as hard as it takes to harvest a deer.  So with the decline in harvest and all of us hunter spending more time hunting without having any luck, is a sure sign of lower population.  Post rut, cold weather, etc...doesn't mean squat to me.  Give me 6 hunters and 40 acres with 4 deer on it, I guarantee we'll get deer.  WI deer hunters hunt hard, if the deer are there, we'll get them.  The deer are just not there.

Warnke and the DNR can say what they want, but you need to read between the lines.  They are not in control.  They have been trumph'd by the Dept of Agri, the Govenor and other liberals in the State government.  Per a response to a letter to a State offical: we have tried to fight these powers but have lost.... anything short of legal action which I doubt will work, has failed.......with a majority of the seat being taken by Democrats, I doubt there will be much checks and balances anymore.

Do you think they really care about the little revenue tags produce?  My numbers might not be accurate but 17 million is small($24 a tag x 700000 hunters).  They can make that up by taxing every resident an extra $4.25.  Now losing 180 million on TB, that's another story. 

These liberals don't care about you, they see as far as the nearest tree to hug.  They don't care about declining interest in deer hunting because are youth don't see deer, they want the hunting tradition to be lost.

Deer are not the only thing trying to be eradicated here.  YOU are. 

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:45 pm

This is downright ridiculous!  Yea, we can ban together and not shoot does, but that would only be a small minority of hunters.  Most hunters are going to shoot what they want, when they want, and use most of their tags doing it.  They think that just because the DNR gives them all these tags, that if they use them, it's still not going to hurt anything because the DNR KNOWS IT ALL!!!  WRONG!!!  Something needs to be done...Still brainstorming here![:@]

highview72

Postby highview72 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:49 am

If the libs and the DNR cant be changed then the only thing to do is stop shooting does in your area and talk to every hunter in the area and anyone that you know about not shooting does. Make it a rule at your hunting camps. Stuff like that. Put the message out there as much as possible. There are many hunters out there that are very unhappy with what has happend to the deer herd and all it may take to stop them from shooting does is the reassurance that you and your hunting group wont shoot them either.

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:25 am

Highview72 many of us can't stop shooting does because almost every unit is in earn-a-buck.  The only way that you can beat the earn-a-buck system is to harvest does every other year.  Shoot 3 or 4 does one year and the next year only shoot a buck no does.  Again I don't think it will work because many people live off venison so they will shoot the first legal deer to walk past them.  But the free tags has to go.  We had one guy near us shoot 6 deer out of a group of 12 and one guy in his party said why did you shoot that many deer and he said because i've got the free tags I might as well use them.  Those are the people in my opinion that need to rethink about what there doing.

Fish

Postby Fish » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:06 am

I've said this before, I've hunted a EAB unit for the last 3 years.  Not just one farm but three.  I can understand EAB if I would have several opportunities to shoot a doe each year but I haven't.  3 yrs w/o a buck tag,  I've seen 5 doe(bow hunting) in the last 3 years.  Not one this year.  The nearest doe has been 60 yards away and chased by a buck.  Now I can accept this if I hunted on public land or I was the worst hunter in the world but in the same 3 years, I've could have shot 8-10 buck, several over 17" wide.  I've got great pics on my cell phone of them.  I also spend 30-40 hrs a week hunting during the rut and hunt the gun season everyday.

I hunt the CWD areas of Columbia Cty.  The farms are in Poynette, Pardeeville and Portage(by Cascade Mnt).  All of these areas are supposed to high density deer populations. 

My dilema is I know another doe shouldn't be shot on these farms BUT if I don't get a EAB tag for next year, I might as well not even buy a tag.  It would upset me even more if I do shoot a doe and next year the county is not EAB.  I just wasted a deer for no reason.  This is not what I call the spirit of hunting.

By the way, if any members have land around Columbia Cty and actually have too many deer, I would love the opportunity.  In fact, you can shoot the doe; I'll gut, skin, process the deer(too include packaging) and you can have the meat.  Just as long as I can register it and get my EAB tag.  Heck, I'll even throw in a 12 pack.

stumpsitter66

Postby stumpsitter66 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:18 am

A lot of guys these days make fun of the old timers who didnt shoot the doe. Doe were sacred cows back in the old days. Our dads and granddads knew what they were doing...they wanted to actually see some deer went they went hunting and they didn't have months on end to wait and hunt in hopes of getting one for the freezer.

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:44 pm

Please do not advertise or promote any illegal activities on here even if it is a joke. D&DH will not tolerate it.Thanks.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Next

Return to Wisconsin