Baiting vs predators

bullwinkle

Baiting vs predators

Postby bullwinkle » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:46 pm

Just read the QDM book on trial cameras. In the chapter on trial camera population studies they talked about baiting vs predators. They stated that predators park themselves at bait piles and attack the deer as they feed.

I thought it was interesting that most of the baiting in Wis occurs in Northern Wisconsin where the bears, wolves and yokes have had an impact on the population. I wonder if baiting is helping the success of these predators? Something that might be worth looking into? In the area of our state where baiting is most prevalent, the population is the lowest and the predator seem to be winning???

I quit baiting about 6 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did. To be honest, I substituted food plots and property improvements but the quality of my hunting improved exponentially. I understand why people bait(I used to be darn good at it), but I did see my success decline over the years and I just wonder if predators had a role????

It would be interesting if someone studied this.

retch sweeny

RE: Baiting vs predators

Postby retch sweeny » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:30 am

I substituted food plots

So your still baiting but insead of pouring your bait, you have a bait pile with roots. If predators as you say gather where they know deer congregate to eat, it seems to be reasonable to assume that they will wait for deer at bait plots just as you state that they do at bait piles.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:36 am

ORIGINAL: retch sweeny

I substituted food plots

So your still baiting but insead of pouring your bait, you have a bait pile with roots. If predators as you say gather where they know deer congregate to eat, it seems to be reasonable to assume that they will wait for deer at bait plots just as you state that they do at bait piles.

Agreed.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:32 pm

We have plenty of deer. On a typical bowhunt we can see 15-30 deer a night. I am not worried about Waupaca/Shawano county but if I lived up North I would. I quit baiting because food plots are more effective. The deer move and are not trapped by coming to one spot - there is a huge difference - Just hunt over a food plot once and you will see.

If I was a wolf I would park my tail at the corn pile - it just makes sense

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:30 pm

An acre of antler king max rax educates wolves the same. Both baits congregate deer and wolves figure out how to hunt them just the same.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:40 pm

I dont disagree Retch - my point is there are no deer in Northern Wisconsin right now. The lands I used to hunt are void of animals. Maybe we should consider stopping baiting (maybe food plots as well) up North - why help the predators?

I would argue food plots are different, bait is only placed in a small spot - 2 gallons - in a limited area. The deer have more of a chance on my 6 acres of food plots than they do on a 2 gallon pile of corn every 40 acres. But I do agree, we had some standing corn in the area this year and so came the wolves - you are right, food plots will attract predators as well.

If the deer are to rebound in Northern Wis we need less predators and more browse/food. If logging doesn't rebound, we will lose a generation of good deer hunting up North and it appears to be headed that way. Northern Wis is caught in a vicious circle - there are no deer, too many predators, not enough food and everyone who hunts baits, helping the predators get the deer

I don't want to see this happen in Central Wis. Hopefully Walker gets some free time to open season on Wolves. They (the wolves) are heading South where the deer are
I would give up food plots to make sure the deer population stay as it is in my area - I use the food plots to develop antlers (protein) and keep does on the property so the bucks come in the fall - that's all. I very rarely hunt over my food plots (unless I want to take a doe). I would give it up to help my population stay in place if I had to

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Mon May 02, 2011 9:59 pm

I dont disagree Retch - my point is there are no deer in Northern Wisconsin right now. The lands I used to hunt are void of animals.

Have the lands you hunt in Northern Wisconsin seen any logging activity in the past 20 to 30 years?  That's probably one of the biggest factors.

Maybe we should consider stopping baiting (maybe food plots as well) up North - why help the predators?

I don't think that you truly believe this will work.  Habitat diversity levels the playing field much more than stopping baiting would ever do.

If the deer are to rebound in Northern Wis we need less predators and more browse/food. If logging doesn't rebound, we will lose a generation of good deer hunting up North and it appears to be headed that way. Northern Wis is caught in a vicious circle - there are no deer, too many predators, not enough food and everyone who hunts baits, helping the predators get the deer

See, I didn't think you believed baiting was the reason for declining numbers of deer in the North woods.  I think the predator problem would be greatly diminished also if more age diverse habitat was available in the North.  If there is more food/browse available everywhere, there is less reason, outside of winter yarding, for congregation of deer and easier hunting by predators.

Hopefully Walker gets some free time to open season on Wolves.

You and about every other hunter that hunts the North would love to see Walker be able to do something about this, but you are barking up the wrong tree.  You need to get in touch with our Senators and Representatives to make the USFWS delist from the ESA.  This is out of the States hands until delisting is approved.  The only thing the State would be blamed for this is if they propose a management plan like Wyoming where wolves would be treated as a nuisance and could be shot on sight.  There by not being approved by the USFWS as a sustainable management plan.

I would give up food plots to make sure the deer population stay as it is in my area - I use the food plots to develop antlers (protein)

I personally wish this wasn't the main motivation of hunters.  Deer are natural creatures and in my mind are even more majestic when they are able to grow an impressive set of antlers in spite of the habitat conditions they live within.  The bigger, better, faster mentality is a scab on the hunting tradition in America in my opinion.

Return to Wisconsin