Crossbow Hunting In Wisconsin

retch sweeny

RE: Crossbow Hunting In Wisconsin

Postby retch sweeny » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:59 pm

ORIGINAL: 69Viking
See Retch that's the problem, it shouldn't matter what state you are in. Hunters are the same across the states.

Actually no. While you may not be aware, there is a thing called state’s rights. Each state gets to decide how it runs and sets a variety of laws including what weapons are legal for hunting. Some states don’t allow expandable broadheads, others have different min draw weights and minimum broadhead widths and a variety of other different laws regarding bowhunting. There is no universal crossbow law in the USA. Please tell me this is not news to you. So yes, it clearly matters what state you’re in. Try hunting deer with dogs in WI and you will get the civics lesson you need.

ORIGINAL: 69Viking in most instances we bond together and promote our sport but not some of you bow hunters, you do everything you can to discourage new opportunities to hunt.

Yes, in every state, we unite and bond together to promote and support the sport of bowhunting. You however are talking about crossbow hunting and thus far the minority of crossbow guys seem to only want to divide hunters and make demands.

ORIGINAL: 69Viking The anti-hunter groups love people like you.

No, actually that hate you and I equally. Me because I am a bowhunter and you because you are a crossbow hunter.

ORIGINAL: 69Viking For all I know maybe you are part of PETA

Busted. I killed all those deer just to fit in.

ORIGINAL: 69Viking that is why you are pushing this discord among hunters.

The only discord I see is from a minority of crossbowers making demands in opposition to the votes of the majority. They throw tantrums and generally are a angry little bunch that insists they are right and everybody is wrong. They are the source of all this discord. They have been since day one. They seek to divide.

ORIGINAL: 69Viking Look around you Retch, there are less new hunters entering the sport every year because the anti's are winning the battles.

B.S. The sport of bowhunting in WI is growing and is the bright spot in License sales. Gun hunters are the ones leaving the sport in WI. Bowhunting in WI is strong and doing very well. You perhaps were given bad information or don’t know about WI.

ORIGINAL: 69Viking I know there's no point in wasting any more time trying to explain it to you.

See, we can agree on something. Thanks for stopping by WI. Come back again when you cant stay so long.[;)]

retch sweeny

RE: Crossbow Hunting In Wisconsin

Postby retch sweeny » Mon May 02, 2011 12:10 pm

We can expect the results of the DNR gun deer hunters survey by the end of the month. This year, for the first time ever, the DNR asked gun deer dunters the following question:

[font=arial]"Do you support making the crossbow a legal weapon for use during the archery deer season for any Wisconsin archery hunter?"[/font][/align][font=arial][/font] [/align][font=arial]Based on several years of asking the full inclusion every way possible, I would expect that the results will show the majority of gun hunters also oppose full inclusion like every other group asked. [/font][/align]

Bob Stout

Re: Crossbow Hunting In Wisconsin

Postby Bob Stout » Thu May 05, 2011 5:37 pm

An acquaintance of mine just had his right shoulder go out (he's 57 years old and a plumber). He tried shooting left handed and didn't like it. He also tried shooting a right handed 30 pound bow and he didn't like that either. When I suggested crossbow hunting to him, his face dropped like a sack of potatoes. It had nothing to do with crossbows, it was the stigma attached to crossbows that scared the heck out of him and he couldn't begin to hide it.

He is a proud person and he'll probably quit archery hunting altogether rather than have his "friends" see him toting a crossbow. He's another case of a quitter being more concerned about what his "friends" think about him rather than what he thinks of himself.

This will happen to more and more Wisconsin archery hunters if they keep preaching the "evils of crossbows" instead of the truth.

A crossbowman is every much of an archery hunter as someone who hunts with a self bow. A "real" crossbowman doesn't need anyone to tell them that!

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Thu May 05, 2011 8:10 pm

If his is truely disabled, I can see no reason why he should not get a permit and become a crossbow hunter. That is why the laws exist as they are. You said he "Didnt like" this and he "Didn't like" that and he "Didnt like" the idea of a crossbow. Not much you can do for a guy like that. True friends would not care if be is no longer a bowhunter and that he chooses to become a crossbow hunter.

I shot with this guy once and spoke to him at a legislative hearing. He is very anti crossbow. He only has one working arm. He is a WBH life member that supports keeping crossbow laws as they are. If you want to particispate, you will adapt and make it happen. If you really care to continue on, there is nothing that will stop you. He shoots with his teeth by choice and would not consider a crossbow. His choice. He also does not consider himself to be handicapped. If your friend wants to keep killing deer within the time frame of the archery deer season and if he can get a permit, he should get over the self imposed ego thing about becoming a crossbow hunter.

Bob Stout

Postby Bob Stout » Fri May 06, 2011 7:12 am

Retch, do you misinterpret everything you read? It sure seems so and with great deliberation. He's an "acquaintance" (much the same as you are) NOT a friend. There's a huge difference between the two. A friend is someone you'd die for. An acquaintance is simply someone you know. I broke it down for you, Retch but you'll probably attempt to distort it anyway.

My point once again is that archery clubs try to shame people from using a crossbow. I've heard and read the ignorance and mockery first hand. I've heard it over and over long before I became a disabled archer. I began shooting archery in 1967 so I've been around the block more than once.

I'm here to tell you ladies and gentleman that the laughter and mockery that goes on behind close doors at many of the archery clubs is just plain shameful. It use to embarrass the heck out me whenever some self proclaimed archery king pin would start running off at the mouth about crossbows long before I ever thought I would have to use one. I often wondered where all the HATE inside of these people came from. They LOVE to HATE is what it appears to be, otherwise, explain all the ignorance.

Why all the lies and deception about crossbows?

My guess is it's $$$...BIG $$$ and nothing more!!!

Bowyer

Postby Bowyer » Fri May 06, 2011 9:03 am

Bob Stout wrote: Why all the lies and deception about crossbows?

My guess is it's $$$...BIG $$$ and nothing more!!!

I haven’t seen much in the way of lies and deception, Just votes of the public and concerns for the season, structure and resource that has driven people to arrive at a stance on the matter but nice try hoping to demonize the opposition. It was a cute but a tired and old trick nobody falls for.

As for big money, there is none in protecting the archery deer season. We do it because it’s the right thing to do at the recommendation of many votes. The big $$ is from the other side hoping to rake in $$$ and adding another state to the market share. That side is profit driven and nothing more but you are confusing two topics that are not linked (another less than clever tactic nobody falls for). The elderly/handicapped discussion is not tied to full inclusion for everybody despite some trying their darndest to make it so.

The laws WI has are great one and repeatedly supported by the public meaning there is no need to change. Likewise hoping to link private archery clubs and their policies on approved gear is outside the scope of this. Regardless of any crossbow hunting laws, they will still be free to prohibit crossbows from their property. In general, your comments are both uninteresting and off topic to the discussion of full inclusion. You talk of hurt feelings and bruised ego and self pride as if it’s a reason to change statute in regards to hunting. That is the sad part and what has led to the liberalization of this country. Lefty, libs pushing feel-good legislation even after the handicapped have been accommodated. Pretty sad.

Bob Stout

Postby Bob Stout » Fri May 06, 2011 9:45 am

Does your mother know you talk like that?

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Fri May 06, 2011 11:13 am

I find it funny that the older hunters, of which there are more of than younger hunters, voted to lower the age limit of crossbow use, but basically said stick it in your ear to the younger generation of hunters by not allowing full inclusion.

There's nothing better than a double standard and that's exactly what the Spring Hearings vote totals is showing. Older hunters are saying it's a good thing for me and that's all that seems to matter.

Bob Stout

Postby Bob Stout » Fri May 06, 2011 11:19 am

The pleasures of crossbow hunting are far too numerous to mention.

A really nice aspect about crossbow hunting is the expense or I should say lack of. That's right! Once you purchase your equipment you're pretty much done spending money. It's nothing like shooting a vert bow where the money never seems to stop. First this gadget and then the next. Some dealers *work* it especially with the newbies who don't know any better and end up buying one of everything in the store. Of course this is good for the economy and good for the owner of the bow shop but not so good for the newbie archer and their families monetarily speaking.

It's not that way with crossbow hunting. You buy your gear and a handful of smaller items and you're good to go. You don't have to constantly tweek things in order to get them to work. Purchase one of the more basic crossbows and you don't need the archery dealership after the purchase at all. You can do all of your own maintenance with very basic tools that most people already own.

I haven't looked lately but more than half of the states have crossbows included in their seasons. Michigan, Oklahoma and Nebraska just to name a few and they're loving it. Wisconsin could be one of the last states to "catch-on".

Nonetheless, crossbows and crossbow hunting will be coming to Wisconsin soon enough.

Bob Stout

Postby Bob Stout » Fri May 06, 2011 11:23 am

Dan Salmon wrote:I find it funny that the older hunters, of which there are more of than younger hunters, voted to lower the age limit of crossbow use, but basically said stick it in your ear to the younger generation of hunters by not allowing full inclusion.

Dan, it's a stepping stone. The same thing happened last year in Michigan and they ended up with full inclusion instead of just lowering the age. The very same thing could happen here in Wisconsin.

Wait for the big round lady to sing!

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin