How'd your deer make it through the winter?

bullwinkle

How'd your deer make it through the winter?

Postby bullwinkle » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:00 pm

In my area it looks great. The wolves chased them around a little and I am sure they got a few (have not see any kill sights) but over all they look very healthy. We have 3 bucks still running around with horns on (one 3 year old 10ptr that should be outstanding this fall). We got a lot of snow but enough breaks to make it fairly decent winter.

I think last spring really, really helped our antler growth. It doesn't look like we will be blessed with an early spring but at least I don't think this will be a bad year. I am optimistic and am planning my spring, summer and fall plots

gunther89

RE: How'd your deer make it through the winter?

Postby gunther89 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:42 pm

We have a herd of 29 deer that are on our neighbors and ours right now.  There are some big bucks in that group that have shed already but it's nice to see that many still running around. 
Scott

dreambig

Postby dreambig » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:31 pm

Unfortunately, our top prospect for next year didn't make it. We found him at the edge of our pond yesterday.

wisbooner3932

Postby wisbooner3932 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:14 am

Wow dreambig, I'm sorry to hear/see that, that sucks.  It seems like they thrived around us!  My Grandpa saw 15-20 in the field across the road last night.  Tonight they were back out in that same field and I also counted 10 or more in the field adjacent to my Grandpa's property.  Once I left, my Grandpa called and said he saw a bunch down on his property as well. 

Edit: Just incase any DNR employees read this, I was in unit...uhhh...3. 
You can take my gun, from my cold dead hands.

elliot921129

Postby elliot921129 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:14 am

Dream big that plain out sucks. Two years ago the same thing happend by us. A huge 8 that had his core area on our land got hit by a car and our dog found him behing our cabin in early march. He would have been a true 4.5 maybe a 5.5 year old stud in that up coming season.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:04 pm

Since the thawing of farm fields, I been seeing at least 30 deer out feeding on fields in the township I live in. Alot of fawns appear to have made it thru the winter too. They sure come out of the woodwork this time of year, holy smokes!
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:54 pm

Out turkey hunting and shed hunting. The good news is it appears all the TSI/food plots/work/sanctuaries I have been doing is paying off. I am really becoming a believer. There are by far and away the most deer I have ever had using my property this winter. Even 3-4 years ago when you would see 30 deer an evening sitting bowhunting, I never had the deer spend the winter like I did this year. The issue is we found 3 dead deer. All small, no bucks. My first thought is wolves. I am on the edge of where the wolves hang out in Shawano county. I had at least two different wolfs/packs cruise through my property this winter.

I am shocked at the number of deer that are around this year. My fear is the wolves chased the deer away from the big blocks of timber to the more broken country but none the less, this looks to be a stellar year in 2011. I am in a relatively populated area with lots of people for the area

With no does seasons mandated, I think Waupaca/Shawano county will be rebounded this year or next with what I am seeing

I cant wait for it to dry up and get my summer plots in - ordered my seed/fertilizer - $2000 in and I still have some fall seed to buy, ouch!!!! I am planting 6 acres of plots but tilling up the spring planting to do oats so really I am planting ~9 acres this year. The deer sign helps reduce the sting

elliot921129

Postby elliot921129 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:33 pm

I second with bullwinkle. I have been doing some turkey hunting in the Iola area of Waupaca county and the numbers seem to be up. In fact I saw about ten times as many deer turkey hunting than I did turkeys [:'(].

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:40 pm

They had an average year in my neck of the woods only found a few dead deer 4 pt, 9 pt, and hair in two locations of possible dead deer. We got so much snow so fast in the lake Erie region as always so will see how the herd looks when I check the mineral sight camera photos.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:13 pm

The deer herd in my area I think has shrunk. On my neighbor's property about a mile north of me, I went out shed hunting over a month ago and seen a few tracks in the snow, that was it. Real different compared to last fall when that property was a deer hotspot. I think they herded up tight for the winter and moved a few miles away close to a stream and a good size cornfield. Hopefully the deer will move back in during the summer. The land I live on is looking ok. I saw some yearlings that survived the winter, Last summer was a huge year for twins and triplets out here. Neighbors are planting corn this year, I hope that helps for hunting next season.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Return to Wisconsin