Shawano County WCC Meeting Monday 04-11-11

Chainsaw

Shawano County WCC Meeting Monday 04-11-11

Postby Chainsaw » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:27 pm

I'll be introducing a resolution to legalize rifles for use in ALL of Shawano County. Asking for your support when attending. Thanks .....Chainsaw

bullwinkle

RE: Shawano County WCC Meeting Monday 04-11-11

Postby bullwinkle » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:28 am

Chainsaw - Do you know how the process works? When do we find out if the change is law? I am hoping for the same outcome with Waupaca County. I have my new rifle all picked out and she already has a pet name.

I found some killer stands the other day on my property - this change will significantly change my approach to my land, sanctuaries and hunting choices. It's a huge deal for me. I found a stand where I can view about 300 yards into a sanctuary (with snow on the ground and leaves off) and if the wind is right, I can essentially hunt this area of my land without ever going into it -

We should know for sure in May, right?

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:34 am

Don't want to second guess you, but your sanctuary really won't be that any longer if you can and will shoot into it if presented the opportunity, correct?  If you do shoot something in there, you'll then have to go in and retrieve it, correct?

As far as rifle usage, great!  I've been able to use a rifle since starting hunting in WI.  What I've found is that I still set up in places where 50 yards is a long shot, so not really necessitating anything more than a shotgun.

Chainsaw

Postby Chainsaw » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:03 pm

bullwinkle, The process takes two to three years to complete. If "no one of major clout" disagrees along the way.

Parts of Shawano County already have rifle, parts were also voted on this year and all of Shawano County could have it approved next year, then it take a year to implement the new rules.

If you attended any CC hearing on April 11th the full explanation was in the back of the ballot explanation booklet.

Waupaca County should kick in this fall if I read it correctly.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:37 pm

Dan - You are absolutely correct regarding going into sanctuaries. I have been trialing some new strategies. Essentially I have decided to put about 60% of my property in limited access. I go in to mow the trails,shed hunt and make 3 food plots each year and then hunt the edges. I have another 13 food plots designed on the outside of the plots to use as killing plots and draw the deer from the sanctuaries. We are trying to hold some large bucks (and it is working - last year I took my best bow buck and best gun (both 3 year olds)). My thought is if I can position myself and take a buck that achieves my goals, it will be worth going into the quiet area to retrieve the deer. In my opinion, this limited disturbance will not significantly change the deer behaviors

One of my 40's is open rolling hardwood filled with blackberry undercover. The rifle will allow my to get up in a tree and cover significant acreage (and deer crossing) when the leaves are off and especially if we get covered up in snow. That is why I want the 300 WSM

Last year we dumped 5 2.5-3.5 years olds. We are trying to hold the trigger till 4 years olds show up this year. We have at least 8 110-140+" deer on the cameras after the season so we are hopeful that this strategy will keep the does on the property and some of these bucks will want to hang out with their lady friends.

It is fun none the less.

Return to Wisconsin