Land Management

Centralwisconsinland

RE: Land Management

Postby Centralwisconsinland » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:16 am

I have always bought local.  Feeling that they know what grows better in this zone than a national seed outlet. 
It's easier to do a job right the first time than to explain why you didn't.

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:15 am

I will say that there are differences in seed from co-op's and "specialized" seed.
The stuff from a co-op is made for cattle which are a lot less "picky" than deer. The amount of Lignin (plant cell wall compound) which stiffens up the stem is what deters deer when the plant gets so developed. Your biologic and other varieties have this in mind when making their seed. They use hybrids which are more palatable for deer.
Will co-op seed not work for deer? I'm not saying that but there is a difference.
If you plant 2 fields next to each other, one from a co-op and one from whitetail institute I think you'll see a preference from the deer.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

MUDSLINGER2

Postby MUDSLINGER2 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:24 am

I HAVE LAND IN NORTH WISCONSIN WITH WOLVES AROUND. IS THERE ANY WAY TO GET RID OF OR REPEL THE WOLVES WITH REPELLING THE DEER?

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:29 am

Not from a land management way that I can think of.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Centralwisconsinland

Postby Centralwisconsinland » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:36 pm

What I like about local seed stores is that you have problem you can stop in and ask questions and usually get the right answers.  Farm Co-ops sometimes do not what to deal with a small sale, but it sounds like Kasters and I know Jay-Mar recognize the market for food plots.  They do cater to the hunter,  I know Jay-Mar is having a seminar on food plot this year the date has not been set, they have my comtact information and will let me know the date. 

Fridgid Forage is a specialized seed company out of Minnesota that I have looked at also. Call me old fashion I do believe in spending my hard earned money locally or at least with someone that works in this climate zone. 

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:45 pm

I agree with you on trying to spend your money locally and I also try to do the same.
Jake

lumberrick

Postby lumberrick » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:23 am

I have 4 different food plots on my land.  When I first started them, I just bulldozed openings and tilled up the ground and planted clover.  Three different kinds.  Allsike, Red and White. They were O.K. but it was'nt until I started liming the food plots that they really started taking off.  I bought a good soil test kit and started monitoring the ph.  Allthough clover will grow in acidic soil, it is not as palatable, and does'nt absorb soil nutrients and fertilizers as well.  If you just have clover, you don't need to apply nitrogen.  Clover produces its own nitrogen.  But, one thing I can't emphasize enough is the need for good cover around your food plots. If you have mature trees surrounding a food plot, it will be mainly a night time feeding area. My best food plot is on the edge of 18 acres of popple that is about 10 years old.  Creating a stand of regenerated popple is one of the best things you can do for wildlife.  The key too good whitetail habitat is "good cover first" and 2nd  "new growth" of any kind.  Deer like variety.  If you keep vegetation of any type mowed and close to the ground.  They will eat it.
I had a guy call me one time, to ask me to look at tilling up his food plots and planting them. He was'nt seeing any deer when he was hunting. I went to his property to look at them, and they were the most beautiful food plots I had ever seen. There was plenty of food.  But the whole area surrounding them was mature popple, with some White Pine and maple mixed in.  I told him he should have about 15 acres of the popple clear cut. It took about 2 months too convince him, but he finally did. We timed the cut in March when the energy from the existing popple was is its roots. This is key too good popple regeneration. By the end of summer, the popple was 7 feet high and so thick you could'nt see ten feet into it. Not only is it great cover, but the buds and leaves of young aspen are a preferred early fall food.  Deer love to feed on there way to the food plot. Deer need browse as well as food plot forage. Him and his sons had there best year hunting ever. And it will be good for many years to come.
We manage our land for cover first.  Because one thing is for certain. Mature bucks will take cover over food any day. The thought behing this is, a mature buck has his own supply of food, unavailable to other deer, just because of his size. He is able to reach higher for browse and leaves in areas that have been over browsed by the other deer. Therefore he can stay in the thick cover and still have a good food source.
Hope this helps a little. 
Don't forget to wear your Obamaflage

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:05 am

Thanks Lumberrick, I agree with you and I also think a smart old buck will give up some of the "best" food around and stick with the cover where he's safe and settle for less desired food.
Jake

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:36 am

I was watching a show on land management and they had a good tip I thought I'd post on here because it might be used by some of you.

When doing a soil sample the results you get back are telling you what you it needs to get the top 6.5" of soil to the proper levels.
So if it says you need 2 tons per acre of lime thats referring to the top 6.5 inches of soil. Most people do not work the lime in that deep so they end up over liming.
They suggested apply less lime then recommended or apply it in stages.
Jake

Centralwisconsinland

Postby Centralwisconsinland » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:22 am

FYI

Jay-Mar in Plover, located 1/2 mile west of Hyw51/I-39 on County Road B, Is holding a food plot seminar, Saturday Feb. 21, 2009 starting at 10:00 AM till Noon.  For anyone in the area. 

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin