Land Management

buckhunter21

RE: Land Management

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:57 am

Hey good luck with that Goose...Let us know how it goes! 

Do any of you plan on frost seeding any of your clover fields this spring?
QDM!

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:11 am

We drove out to Greenleaf this morning to look at that disc and it was kinda cobbled together so we weren't sure if we should buy it or not. When we got home I did some last minute calling and a tractor dealer told me about a guy selling them in New London so I got that guys number off the internet and gave him a call. Turns out he had one 6 footer left for $400, never seen dirt before so I went and looked at it and we ended up buying that one. Looks exactly like the fleet farm King Kutters but $250 cheaper.
Just got home with it now.

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:13 am

Was gonna attempt some frost seeding this spring but from what I've read it doesn't work in sandy soil so I guess thats a no go for me [:(]
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:31 pm

Wow Goose, she's beautiful!  [;)]  Good luck with her!  I'm fortunate enough to have been brought up on a hobby farm so my pops has everything we basically need to put plots in.  It is nice to have the smaller machinery though at times.  I think that sprayer (that I have yet to buy at Fleet Farm) will come in handy though.  I just checked a couple weeks ago and they still had a couple on sale, so I may go in this week to close the deal!

Frost seeding doesn't work well in sandy soils huh?  Never heard that but good to know.  We have mostly clay over here.  I'm gonna give it a whirl see what happens.  This one plot that I put in last year was in CRP for over 20 years so the pH was not the best.  I put in Alpha-Rack and it did ok, but nothing close to what it could have done with a better pH.  I'm gonna frost seed with some Extreme and see what happens.  [:D]
QDM!

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:43 am

From what I've read on it, you want to frost seed when the ground is "honeycombing" or when it freezes at night and thaws in the day and in the process the moisture in the soil contracts and expands moving the soil with it. The small seed falls in these cracks and then it is planted.
Sandy soil does not do this so therefore its a no go on the frost seeding.

You are very lucky to have all the equipment, the smaller stuff is hard to come by and they sure don't give them away anymore.

Let us know how the frost seeding goes.
Jake

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:33 am

Yea, that's what I read too, so when the weather starts getting that way on a consistent basis I'll be throwing it down.  I also need to get some herbicides to kill those damn weeds in my plot.

I feel very fortunate to have grown up around this, so even though I'm not an expert 'farmer' by any means, my pops is only a phone call away if I have any questions and he helps me put them in anyways when he does the rest of his planting.  Def. nothing to be taken for granted!

I'll keep you posted on the frost seeding!
QDM!

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:06 am

Is there anything that you guys know of that I could frost seed in a swamp? It's going to be under water for at least a month if not more. Would anything grow?
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:42 pm

This is the only one I can think of that might make it.  http://www.wildlifeseeds.com/info/aeschynomene.html
American Jointvetch- might be hard to find seed and I wont guarantee you that it'll last that long under water but I cant think of anything else.

White clover will last under water for a week or so but not any more.
Jake

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:11 pm

Yea, I would think it would be tough to do it underwater, but look into that info that Goose left and let us know how it goes if you try it out!
QDM!

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:58 pm

I'll look into it. Thanks much!
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin