CHECK STATIONS SUCK

hookset6969

CHECK STATIONS SUCK

Postby hookset6969 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:38 pm

You know I hate to complain but after a guy travel's all over hell to find one thats open at 2pm it gets a little aggravating. Here's an idea let's try keeping them at place's that have regular hours instead of tavern's that hell know's when their going to show up. This was my problem the closest stations were all tavern's that said they would be open but never were. Anyone else have this problem before. I like the idea of call in, They didn't do anything to the deer when we did finally get it checked in anyway's.

Dan Salmon

RE: CHECK STATIONS SUCK

Postby Dan Salmon » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:37 pm

I don't think they are a bad thing, if they are maned by DNR biologists that can do the aging and recording of the things they used to track for the SAK modeling.  It seems any more they are just using statistical models without any real field data.  Could be why we are seeing more and more discontent with the population estimates in the past 10 years or so. 

I will agree with you though, I used to be able to got to any of 4 or 5 registration stations within 20 miles of where we hunt, but now there is only 1 that I can think of off the top of my head and I couldn't tell you the last time I had a biologist age a deer that we've shot.   

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:51 pm

??????? What happens if you don't check your deer in? Imean heck you drive to a few and no ones open or their too do the job!

hookset6969

Postby hookset6969 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:52 pm

I agree it wouldn't be so bad if some one was there and they actually did something with the deer but heck to drive all over god's green earth to have some one jump in the back of my truck and stick a steel band on it s ear and walk off just seem's senseless. I guess they did ask my dad how many deer he seen, So the hour and fifteen minutes we drove around for wasn't such a waste [:@]

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:35 pm

My local registartion station used to be a bar and when there were just ladies bartending they wanted nothing to do with the deer and would just hand me everything and told me to do it myself. It was nice a couple of years ago when I did run into a DNR guy who aged my deer for me. I thought for sure it was a 3.5 year old but he assured me it was definitely 4.5, at least I learned a little.
I'd rather drag out a 4 pointer with my father than a 10 pointer alone.

deerbeans

Postby deerbeans » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:47 pm

Hmmm,  I guess we haven't seen these problems at registration stations in western Shawano
County.  If I go north to Bowler, it is a gas station/mini mart.  If I go south to Marion it is a gas station/mini
mart.  If I go sw to Tigerton, it is a bar/bowling alley.  If I go west to Wittenberg it is a tavern.  I have
never had a problem getting a deer registered at any of them.  Last year we had two bucks aged at
the Bowler registration station.  I will say that the last time I went to Wittenberg, the nice young lady
went out to the deer, and checked my tag, but requested that I insert the tag through the doe's ear...
[:D]    She looked a little pale, and relieved when I obliged the request.  I didn't want to see her lose lunch!

rod953

Postby rod953 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:34 pm

tavern in blair usually has someone there all day during gun season, dont now about archery season since i havent harvested a deer in a couple of years. whitehall has a check in at the gas station and 9 out of 10 times ive been there a warden was there.

hookset6969

Postby hookset6969 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:47 pm

the bar in blair was the one that was not open so we ended up at a mobil.

Rubydog

Postby Rubydog » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:19 pm

In certain zones in CT you can get a "replacement" tag if you harvest an anterless deer only if you get the deer checked at a check station. If you do not go to the check station but opt to call in your kill, they do not offer a replacement tag. Many times we have gone to the nearest check station only  find it not open and have to call in the kill later with no replacement tag offered.

Bureaucracy at its best !

highview72

Postby highview72 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:35 pm

ORIGINAL: Wolf River Hunter

My local registartion station used to be a bar and when there were just ladies bartending they wanted nothing to do with the deer and would just hand me everything and told me to do it myself. It was nice a couple of years ago when I did run into a DNR guy who aged my deer for me. I thought for sure it was a 3.5 year old but he assured me it was definitely 4.5, at least I learned a little.

Same thing here. Most of the registration stations where we hunt are gas stations and the clerk almost always hands me the paper and steel band so I can do it myself. I have never in 25 yrs had a deer aged or any other data taken by a state employee of any kind.
A man only has so many hunting seasons. Make the most of them.

Next

Return to Wisconsin