CHECK STATIONS SUCK

Dan Salmon

RE: CHECK STATIONS SUCK

Postby Dan Salmon » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:27 pm

There used to be a biologist fairly often in Wausaukee at the old BP that is no longer a Registration Station.

eberhaar863828

Postby eberhaar863828 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:34 pm

Go to the Taylor corner store. its open till 10. I have never had a problem checking in deer anywhere I took one.
Ducks

hookset6969

Postby hookset6969 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:17 pm

I ended up at the mobil in taylor, And there was no problem checking it in there it's just why are we doing this if they are not taking any actual data off the deer. In most cases everything these so called check station's are doing could be done over the phone. In IL they actually take more info over the phone than these check station's are taking in person. Just seem's like a bunch of wasted steel band's to me.

Osty

Postby Osty » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:52 pm

I love the check-stations because you can see what other hunters have shot even if you don't get one. I've had information taken like where I shot the deer as part of research but not the age. What better way to see the state of the deer herd than physically seeing them.

I'm not sure about a call-in system. Leaves too many loop holes for how many deer are actually shot. How many hunters (bad ones) would not report the deer they got? Pretty sure there are those who shoot one for "camp meat" or whatever right now but I think the check stations are good to have to prevent the overharvest or non-reporting of deer.

I like having the registration tag too. Something I can look at to remind me of the success I had and reflect on the memories in the field.

clfenimore

Postby clfenimore » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:23 pm

We use to have check ststions here in Missouri Then a few years back the MDC switched to a telecheck system. I don't miss the check stations. Now missouri hunters can check deer and turkey on the phone or online. One big advantage is it's 24 hrs and when your in deer camp you can check the deer on a cell phone quarter the deer and get the meat on ice or lock in in a box or trunk out of sight without leaving camp. I think any state that still uses check stations should look into a telecheck system. One con that was brought up was that it would make it easier for people to kill deer and not check them. But then the ones who would do that will regardless of what check system a state uses. Deer still need a MDC transportation tag with a telecheck number in the field and then use the telecheck number to get a confirmation number and write on the main tag for the processed deer.

If a man cant hunt when he's living how the hell will he hunt when he's dead

Bigfoot

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:58 am

just got back from registering a deer as soon as the barkeep opened the doors i realized right away that it's the one that doesnt like hunting or registering deer,so i go in their and as soon as she sees the tag it's "Tommy(the bar owner) said that stuff was over with and turned in everything we dont have any tags left"........then starts opening and slamming drawers in the bar trying to find a tag then says "i was so happy when tommy said this bull**** was over with" comes outside nearly falls when i open the tailgate tries 1 time to put the metal tag in the ear and says "it's too cold out here you do it" hands me the tag and back in the bar she goes

so yeah registration stations need to become extinct

Previous

Return to Wisconsin