Controled Burns & CWD

Dan Salmon

Controled Burns & CWD

Postby Dan Salmon » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:02 am

Does anyone know if there has ever been a study done to see if the prions are/would be killed by use of controlled burns?  There is very little natural fire in the environment any more and I wonder if there may not be some kind of link between the lack of fire and the proliferation of these prions remaining in the soil?

Anyone?  Am I crazy?

Wolf River Hunter

RE: Controled Burns & CWD

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:23 pm

•Common soil mineral degrades the nearly indestructible prion published on Jan 14, 2009
In addition to being perhaps the weirdest infectious agent know to science, the prion is also the most durable. It resists almost every method of destruction from fire and ionizing radiation to chemical disinfectants and autoclaving, which reduce prion infectivity but fail to completely eliminate it. Now, however, a team of Wisconsin researchers has found that a common soil mineral, an oxidized from of manganese known as birnessite, can penetrate the prion's armor and degrade the protein.

http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/disease_inform ... d_news.jsp
I'd rather drag out a 4 pointer with my father than a 10 pointer alone.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:56 pm

And there you have it, Thanks!

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:58 pm

Dan:  Thanks for up bringing this topic. (It is becoming a major concern for more and more of us.) It needs to be understood and discussed by us, especially deer hunters.

Wolf:  Many thanks for the educational update. I'm happy to hear that there is some serious effort underway to attack CWD.
It isn't what happens to us, it is how we deal with it, that matters most.

Return to Wisconsin