Crossbows take another step forward

Tim50

Crossbows take another step forward

Postby Tim50 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:47 pm

Closer look at crossbows
Issue will be among advisory questions
By Paul A. Smith of the Journal Sentinel

Jan. 8, 2011 |(2) Comments
Wausau — Should crossbows be legal for all hunters during the Wisconsin archery deer season?
The question was advanced Friday by the Executive Council of the Wisconsin Conservation Congress. As such, it will appear as an advisory question on the statewide Spring Hearings ballot in April.
The crossbow issue and dozens others were evaluated by the council as it determined which would make the questionnaire on the congress' portion of the Department of Natural Resources Spring Fish and Game Rules Hearings and Annual Wisconsin Conservation Congress Meetings.
The meetings will be held April 11 in each county.
The council advanced 37 questions, including one that would allow rifles for deer hunting statewide and another that would give preference to Wisconsin residents when issuing leftover spring turkey permits.
The crossbow question arguably will draw the strongest interest. Although 17 states allow crossbows for all archery deer hunters, Wisconsin allows them only for hunters over the age of 65 and those with disabilities.
Crossbow use increasingly has been allowed across the nation. In the last two years, eight states, including traditional whitetail hunting states of Pennsylvania, Michigan and Texas, have changed regulations to allow crossbows during the archery deer seasons.
"As a congress, we're supposed to represent all the people," said council member Mark Noll. "And we can't be afraid to ask a question to find out how they feel."
The Wisconsin Bowhunters Association and Wisconsin Traditional Archers have opposed crossbows.
Wright Allen, president of the Wisconsin Bowhunters Association and member of the congress' Big Game Committee, said crossbows have not been supported by the hunting public in Wisconsin.
"We're not opposed to crossbows, but we are opposed to a change that would make the archery season primarily a crossbow season," Allen said. "We believe crossbows should be controlled and regulated separately."
Allen also objected to the way the crossbow resolution was introduced - not by a citizen at last year's Spring Hearings, but by a Big Game Committee member in December.
After considerable debate, congress chairman Ed Harvey said he was comfortable with the way the resolution was introduced.
The council then approved the question on a voice vote.
The question will help assess public support of crossbows. But it will take action by the legislature to make crossbows legal in the archery season, said DNR attorney Tim Andryk.

[/align]

umpiremark

RE: Crossbows take another step forward

Postby umpiremark » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Wright Allen, president of the Wisconsin Bowhunters Association and member of the congress' Big Game Committee, said crossbows have not been supported by the hunting public in Wisconsin

Wouldn't this be a conflict of interest? Kinda like having Bernie Madoff on your finance committee ....
One day my ship will come in!! My luck, I'll be at the airport.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:56 pm

ORIGINAL: umpiremark

Wright Allen, president of the Wisconsin Bowhunters Association and member of the congress' Big Game Committee, said crossbows have not been supported by the hunting public in Wisconsin

Wouldn't this be a conflict of interest? Kinda like having Bernie Madoff on your finance committee ....

Or a tax evader head the Treasury Department.

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:27 am

[font=arial]Despite comments of a clear juvenile, petty nature, his comment is a true one. Soon, the details surrounding this issue will be known. There is a great deal to learn and understand. I look forward to the discussion.[/font][/align]

umpiremark

Postby umpiremark » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:14 pm

Despite comments of a clear juvenile, petty nature, his comment is a true one.

Well, in reality (you do remember reality, don't you?) Wright Allen's comments correctly would be:

"The WBH do not support crossbows. The hunting public? Well ... we're not sure because we've never polled them."

Again, see the difference between illusive conclusive data and real (conclusive) data. We've been down this road before, yet you fail to get it, Ron.

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:38 pm

[font=arial]I will be happy to view your illusive, conclusive, abusive, obtrusive, caboosive or any data you can provide from the state that shows majority support for crossbows. among WI hunters. While you don't care for the data assembled by the DNR and WCC, you have provided nothing to the contrary. If given the choice between what the DNR and WCC has amassed and the great big zero you have, I'm going to have to go with the [/font][font=arial] illusive, conclusive, vamoosive data available to lawmakers. I continue to await any data you can provide. [:D] [:D]
[/font][/align]

umpiremark

Postby umpiremark » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:29 pm

I'm sorry, you seem to dillusionally think we're in some sort of rhetorical war of words and wit on these threads. I'm sorry to inform you that you are sadly mistaken.

There are three threads on this WI board pertaining to crossbow use in WI. In each thread, I have presented the same theme: that the WBH association thinks they are the voice of WI bowhunters everywhere and the WBH opposses crossbows in WI where the average hunter would like (a) more un-diluted information and (b) a say in the process, outside the random one-per-county "hearings."

In each thread I have challenged the casual "reader" to beware that the WBH association speaks solely on their behalf (the WBH) and not the average bowhunter of WI. To each his (or her) own, I say, but hunters of WI should be aware of the sham called WBH.

Drum up support for your fake information anyway you can; that's fine by you, I'm sure. But you never will get my support and at every turn I will sing the same song: "The WBH is a self-serving group" without cause for the average bowhunter, here in WI. Let every man (and woman) make up their own mind, but give them the facts to do so, not your "horn-tooting" rhetoric of falsehoods.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:12 pm

+1 unpiremark.  

Rubydog

Postby Rubydog » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:21 pm

Isn't the real issue with the state to use hunters to reduce deer populations ? If this is the case, crossbows will serve the purpose better than bows.

Now before you all jump down my throat I am a bowhunter. The reality is there is more room for error with crossbows than "regular" bows. If the state wants more deer dead during bow season, crossbows would get the job done more efficiently and most likely, more hunters in the woods should equal more dead deer.

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:58 am

That just what gun hunters want right? They want more deer killed by bowhunters (especially bucks) before they the gun hunters get their chance in the woods. That will go over great with them. I wonder how many hunters in WI are in favor of reducing the deer herd further? The nearly 20,000 gun hunters that opted out during this last gun season because the population was too low are going really love the fact that more deer are going to get killed by bowhunters.

Next

Return to Wisconsin