Crossbows gain steam in the CC voting

umpiremark

Crossbows gain steam in the CC voting

Postby umpiremark » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:10 pm

Conservation Congress advances crossbow question
By Paul A. Smith of the Journal Sentinel
Dec. 22, 2010 3:48 p.m. |(8) Comments

"Should crossbows be legal hunting equipment during the Wisconsin archery deer season?

By the narrowest of margins, the question advanced Saturday from a meeting of the Wisconsin Conservation Congress' Big Game Committee.

The issue will next be taken up Jan. 7 in Wausau by the congress' Executive Council. If the council advances the question, it will appear as an advisory question on the ballot at the Department of Natural Resources Spring Hearings and Annual Wisconsin Conservation Congress Meetings in April.

Though legal for all hunters in the archery deer seasons in about 17 states, crossbows are restricted to older hunters and physically disabled hunters in Wisconsin.

"Our view is that it's time for the general public to weigh in on the question," said Mike Riggle of Medford, a member of the congress' Big Game Committee.

In a 2009 survey conducted by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, 59% of archery hunters were opposed to crossbows during the archery deer season. About 5,000 Wisconsin archery hunters responded to the survey.

The Wisconsin Bowhunters Association and Wisconsin Traditional Archers have consistently opposed the use of crossbows.

But crossbow use has been increasingly allowed in states during the archery deer season. Last year Michigan allowed crossbows in most of the Lower Peninsula. Pennsylvania and Ohio both allow crossbows statewide during the archery deer seasons.

At its Saturday meeting, the Big Game Committee threw out a more restrictive resolution that would have allowed crossbows to hunt deer in metropolitan areas. In its place, Riggle offered one that would allow statewide use of crossbows by all hunters during the archery deer season.

The committee voted 8 to 7 to advance the question. Rob Bohmann, congress vice chairman, abstained from the vote.

The vote has triggered strong reaction from the Wisconsin Bowhunters Association. WBH has about 7,000 members and is represented by the Madison law firm of DeWitt Ross & Stevens.

"We're committed to preserving the archery season as it is," said Ron Kulas of Delafield, legislative liaison for the WBH. "Crossbows are a superior weapon and we've long held they belong in a different season."

We'll have more on this issue in the Thursday paper."
One day my ship will come in!! My luck, I'll be at the airport.

umpiremark

RE: Crossbows gain steam in the CC voting

Postby umpiremark » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:20 pm

In a 2009 survey conducted by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, 59% of archery hunters were opposed to crossbows during the archery deer season. About 5,000 Wisconsin archery hunters responded to the survey.

Should probably have been said that ... "... 59% of those that responded ..."

Not 59% of ALL bowhunters in WI as may be implied here.

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:16 pm

Yes, I was at that meeting where that motion was made and narrowly passed onto the next committe. I even recorded the proceedings. Its a bit too early to share publicly what took place and how and why that question was added. We will see how the vote of Jan. 7 goes and depending on those results, you will see another story in the Milwaukee journal on this subject. I spent a good deal of time on the phone with the Journals Paul Smith today. Lets leave it at that for now and see how this turns out. Thank goodness I was there with the digital recorder. You will all be able to say, you heard it here first. [;)]

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:54 pm

Wow, people are getting serious over this issue. Im kinda dumb and please forgive me, but is their a huge advantage using a crossbow over a regular bow? If so, is this what the uproar is all about?
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Chainsaw

Postby Chainsaw » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:29 pm

ORIGINAL: Jslotter

Wow, people are getting serious over this issue. Im kinda dumb and please forgive me, but is their a huge advantage using a crossbow over a regular bow? If so, is this what the uproar is all about?

I think the real question should be, What is a "regular" bow? All the pulleys on these bows have confused the subject IMHO. Of course my opinion is just as irrelavent as anyone else's.

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:09 am

The quote from the article I found interesting was from the DNR:

Jason Fleener, assistant deer biologist for the Wisconsin DNR, said the department was neither for nor against expanding crossbow use.

"From our perspective, it's a social issue and not one that would affect deer harvest," Fleener said.

I guess they aren't anticipating a dramatic influx of hunters nor a dramatic increase in the kill numbers.

They also have a poll if crossbows should be legal for archery season.
I'd rather drag out a 4 pointer with my father than a 10 pointer alone.

umpiremark

Postby umpiremark » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:09 pm

I spent a good deal of time on the phone with the Journals Paul Smith today. Lets leave it at that for now and see how this turns out. Thank goodness I was there with the digital recorder.

Sounds to me like you're trying real hard to defeat this before it can get to the majority of hunters who could/will vote, one way or another.

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:37 pm

Actually, this resolution and the author are their own undoing. Lets wait until Jan. 7th before we go into it any farther. Its a gripping tale, I can assure you.

wurzgj01

Postby wurzgj01 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:19 pm

N/A

wurzgj01

Postby wurzgj01 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:57 pm

N/A

Next

Return to Wisconsin