Cathy Stepp named DNR Secretary

Wolf River Hunter

Cathy Stepp named DNR Secretary

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:55 pm

From JSonline:

Governor-elect Scott Walker has named Cathy Stepp as incoming Secretary of the Department of Natural Resources.

Stepp, of Racine County, served as a state senator from 2003 to 2007 and as a member of the Natural Resources Board from 1998 to 2001. She has also helped run businesses with her husband, including a home building company.

"I strongly believe job creation and environmental protection can be mutually supportive," Stepp said in a statement released Thursday morning to DNR staff. "As a small business owner, I understand the importance of customer-friendly relations."

While in the legislature, Stepp was chair of the Senate’s Job Creation Committee and co-chair of the Environment and Natural Resources Committee. She did not seek re-election to the senate.

Stepp named two top assistants: Matt Moroney as Deputy Secretary and Scott Gunderson as Executive Assistant.

Moroney is an attorney at DeWitt Ross and Stevens in Madison and previously worked as Executive Director of the Metropolitan Builders Association of Greater Milwaukee. Gunderson has represented the 83rd District in the Assembly for the last 16 years. While in the legislature, he was on the Assembly Natural Resources Committee, including four years as chairman.
I'd rather drag out a 4 pointer with my father than a 10 pointer alone.

wisbooner3932

RE: Cathy Stepp named DNR Secretary

Postby wisbooner3932 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:16 pm

I am skepical of her because of her politcal experience but at the same time, I have faith in Scott Walker and his decisions so I'll take a wait and see approach.  Last night I read a different article on this matter and it told how Stepp has been very critical of the way the DNR is being run...maybe I like her more than I originally thought.  The article also told how Dems and environmentalists strongly discouraged the choice...ok I'll admit it, she's got my full support.

Here's the other article: http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/environment/article_59520726-1440-11e0-b7f3-001cc4c03286.html
You can take my gun, from my cold dead hands.

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:30 pm

I love the quote by the Democrat that said “Putting Cathy Stepp in charge of the DNR is like putting Lindsay Lohan in charge of a rehab center,”.  Gotta love those Democrats!
Scott

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:53 pm

We will see how it goes. The Dems are to quick to judge. Im just glad there is a man in the capitol building that I can talk to like he is my uncle. Doyle sucked, never again will Wisconsin will have such an abomination in the state capitol.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:53 pm

Jslotter,

Don't count your eggs before they're hatched!  This state has a way of doing things that just outright astounds most and flies in the face of common sense. 

This looks like a very good correction, but like most things, true colors come back with a vengeance.

The jury is still out, we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Return to Wisconsin