Crossbows rejected again

retch sweeny

Crossbows rejected again

Postby retch sweeny » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:31 am

Today I attended the meeting of the Conservation Congress Big Game committee. One of the issues they were to take up was a resolution to allow unrestricted crossbow use in all of the states metro deer hunting units. Knowing of this for several months, I penned a statement on behalf of the WBH and encouraged the same from the Wisconsin Traditional Archers. Those letters were distributed to the committee members well in advance of the day's meeting and were mentioned by committee members as reasonable justification to oppose the resolution. It was again mentioned that this was just a back door attempt at inserting crossbows into the archery deer season were all other attempts had failed due to lack of public support.

The 20+ members in attendance voted unanimously to reject the resolution. The archery deer season will remain as is.

gruberr

RE: Crossbows rejected again

Postby gruberr » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:38 pm

Awesome, thank you for the update.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:42 pm

You claim to be an advocate for Bow Hunting, I claim that you're an advocate for anti-hunters and former hunters.  Your en-flamed rhetoric and holier than thou attitude toward other hunters and the DNR is as much to blame for the loss of hunter numbers and the erosion of the deer hunting tradition in Wisconsin as any other. 

It's groups like WBHA, singular motive in nature, that shove their ethics, rules and agenda down the throats of others that push more and more hunters out of the fold each year, more so than the anti-hunters and pro-animal groups could hope to do. 

So to you sir I say bravo, keep up the snide, antagonistic "advocacy" you claim to provide hunters in Wisconsin. 

wisbooner3932

Postby wisbooner3932 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:12 pm

Dan, I don't see what your problem with Retch is.  Your backlash seems pretty unwarrented.  If you feel strongly about something then feel free to get involved yourself, don't just cut people down because they're working against what you believe in. 

That being said, I think this was a good move by the Conservation Congress.  I don't get too enflamed when debating crossbow use but if I had to pick a side I'd definately side against them in the regular archery season.  Like you said Retch, the proposal looked like a backdoor into unrestricted crossbow use so I'm giving them a big thumbs up.
You can take my gun, from my cold dead hands.

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:18 pm

Yes, like other failed attempts, this was a back door attempt. I have learned a while ago to ignore Dan. He is a non bowhunter and based on the many opinions he has shared, I would dare say a bit of an anti-bowhunter. I am not interested in his opinions. He enjoys involvement at the make-believe, cyber level. He is a non-factor or essentially irrelevant in all this. He is free to opine and I am free to dismiss his comments out of hand. I am more interested in spending my time in the real world working with real committees and legislators to preserve and protect the archery deer season.

He is free to reply but he might as well shout it into an empty bucket for all I care.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:25 pm

wisbooner3932,

I am involved, as much as I can be at this point in time, at the chapter level in Pheasants Forever.  This is a habitat organization that advocates for hunters, new and old, not just for a specific group of hunters.  Someone on the outside could mistake it for a bird hunters only group, and the published magazine does focus on the bird hunter, it is not just that, there is a lot of land management and conservation talk and work to federal programs such as Open Fields and CRP, WRP, etc. 

deojee1414

Postby deojee1414 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:11 am

I have to admit I dont have real strong feelings on this subject. Overall I tend to side with keeping crossbows out of bowhunting with the exception of the current exemptions already in place for the elderly & those with physical disabilities. Guess that makes me an anti-hunter.

umpiremark

Postby umpiremark » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:16 pm

The 20+ members in attendance voted unanimously to reject the resolution. The archery deer season will remain as is.

Apparently not 100% so, Ron. See the article in the JS-Online Outdoors section, 12/22.

"Our view is that it's time for the general public to weigh in on the question," said Mike Riggle of Medford, a member of the congress' Big Game Committee."

Mybe it is time for more than 5,000 respondents to voice a vote, huh?
One day my ship will come in!! My luck, I'll be at the airport.

wurzgj01

Postby wurzgj01 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:16 pm

N/A

wisbooner3932

Postby wisbooner3932 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:42 pm

I was reading some comments at the bottom of the article and someone noted that today's coumpounds are equal to crossbows.  If that's the case then why not just pick up a compound?  Is it because people want the easy way out, and be able to hunt after practicing shooting a crossbow once or what?  This isn't directed at anyone but I've heard this argument numerous times so I was just wondering what everyone thought about it.
You can take my gun, from my cold dead hands.

Next

Return to Wisconsin