Back Tags

gunther89

RE: Back Tags

Postby gunther89 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:32 pm

I believe they used to change colors, but I know they haven't recently.  I do agree with Retch that if they make deer hunters where them, then they should make everyone wear them.  It only makes sense.
Scott

hookset6969

Postby hookset6969 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:34 pm

This is great, To identify violaters......... Holy crap has anyone ever thought that people not following the law would more than likely not wear one anyways.[8|] If your trespassing or doing something illegal then that back tag really has no purpose. I could care less if the guy tresspassing on my land has a tag or not. either way he won't be leaving without a sherrif.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:40 pm

The backtag is how they found who the shooter was in Rice Lake not too long ago.

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:47 pm

I agree with ghosthunter's post. And also it really doesn't matter what color the backtag is. Even is someone was wearing one from a past year you could still write down the number if you close enough, and that number would most likely still be in the DNR database.
Kyle

umpiremark

Postby umpiremark » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:30 am

"To identify violaters ..."

For the number of occurances this "may" be of assistance to law officers, does that outweigh (or justify) the cost of printing, the cost of materials and the costs of distribution?

I say the back tags are passe and useless. Abolish them.
One day my ship will come in!! My luck, I'll be at the airport.

bushmanb27

Postby bushmanb27 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:33 pm

I put my tag on a pack I wear around my waste when walking. While in the tree I hang it on a limb. I hate when it rubs up against the tree and makes noise. It does puzzle me that deer hunters have to wear one but other hunters do not? It can't be for trespassing purposes. There are so many more hunters out there that don't deer hunt and violate or trespass.
Capt. Andy

hookset6969

Postby hookset6969 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:25 pm

In reply to Dan like I was trying to say nothing like an idiot who would wear his or her car plate on their chest when they went in to rob a bank... So because some crazy goon went out and shot some people up and just happened to be dumb or crazy enough to do it with his tag on we should all wear them [8|] They serve no purpose when I'm hunting my own land.

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:33 pm

This is worth posting again. Then all sportsmen need to wear a backtag. Small game, fishing, turkey hunting, sturgeon spearing, deer hunting, bird watchers, shroom pickers, trial bikers, Pheasant hunters, Duck hunters, etc. if they are such a great idea, lets do this up right. Then we can catch all violators if that is the reason for back tags.

They are a dumb idea that is past its time. To try and link the Vang (gun hunting) to this, a bowhunting situation is just silly and desparate. [:(]

We get it Dan, your not a bowhunter and your not a fan of bowhunters.

Do you tink Turkey hunters should have to wear a back tag? Small game hunters?

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:30 am

Just a question. How many states require the wearing of a back tag while deer hunting? I was born and raised in Wisconsin, so I thought that was the norm. Wrong!!. I lived in Tennessee for 5 years and never saw a back tag. I moved to Michigan for a couple of years, then 3 in Virginia, 5 more years in Ohio, 6 years in Alabama, and now Indiana for the last three years. I also hunted in Wyoming during this time. I don't recall backtags in any of those states (although I didn't hunt during those 5 years in Ohio). I'm just curious how widespread the use of backtags is. Most hunting coats have that little tab on the back for attachment, so I'll assume some other states use tags. Personally, I don't miss those little devils. I usually walk to the stand in shirt sleeves but wearing a Dwight Schuh treestand pack. I then put on my harness and my bowhunting vest over my shirt. Other outergarments stay in the back pack until the temperature tells me it's time to add them. I'd have to move my tag 4 or 5 times during the hunt, including putting it back where it could be seen on the way out after dark. That's a lot of hassle in my book. I still have a hunting license even if I'm not wearing a tag. As a former warden in the State of Wisconsin, I feel there's more important law enforcement issues to be dealt with than chasing people around to see why they don't have backtags on. Can a man be afield hunting squirrel or rabbit during deer gun season? I believe so if they're wearing hunter orange. Should the wardens run those guys down because they don't sport a back license tag? They don't need one.
Then again, I live in Indiana so it doesn't really affect me whether backtags are going to be a requirement in Wisconsin's future. Chalk it up to the same reason that some states have both front and rear license plates on their vehicles while the rest of us only have a rear plate. I still vote an emphatic NO.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:23 pm

All right guys relax. 

I was just pointing out a situation where the back tag helped.  I don't care for them myself, as I started hunting in Minnesota and no such thing was required.  I think that they are also outdated. 

I don't hate bow hunters either.  I just don't always agree with everyone else, since when is that not allowed?  

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin