Back Tags

unkleboo

RE: Back Tags

Postby unkleboo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:12 pm

"Here we go, lets get the bowhunters on a tirade again and go crying to the powers that be that they are being discriminated against. Sheesh!" - Dan Salmon

You say the above and then tell others to relax after making a snide remark, then you state casually that you were just pointing out a time when the backtag was used to I.D. a wack job
then you go on to say you don't like them either and that they're outdated, essentially agreeing with the original statement about not liking backtags. Make up your mind on which side of the issue
you stand. It seems your on this forum often just to goad bow hunters. What is it that raises you hackles so much ? I appreciate the time you put into studying the issues, I really do, but you also seem to have a considerable chip on your shoulder.
No one says you have to be here. That being said, many of the things you say and the opinions you have are valid and worth talking about, but we don't need to be slinging snide remarks around.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:00 pm

If you are here often, you'll see that the bow hunters are the most vocal group and it seems they are always the one's getting the shaft.  I tire of it and resort to sarcasm which doesn't translate well in the talk forum format.  So sue me.  I guess that I should just sit back and ignore the constant whining, but that's not in my personality.  

eberhaar863828

Postby eberhaar863828 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:14 pm

I am a bow and gun hunter and don't mind back tags. They have come in handy (along with license plates) in the past. We have caught more than a couple of trespassers because of back tags ( believe it or not more times than not they are stupid enough to wear them).
Ducks

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:35 am

Can the back tag be worn on a backpack? If it's on your jacket can you take the jacket off and hang it up while hunting? I had it in my head that they needed to be middle of back on the outermost clothing worn while hunting.
I'd rather drag out a 4 pointer with my father than a 10 pointer alone.

Bigfoot

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:45 pm

"I had it in my head that they needed to be middle of back on the outermost clothing worn while hunting"

that is what it says in the rulebook

Mike S

Postby Mike S » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:20 pm

Decided to send an e-mail to the DNR trying to get some answers about the back tags and got a response from a Mr. Van Haren. It went something like this...

Mike,

Your e-mail regarding back tags was forwarded to me for a reply. Being an avid archery and gun deer hunter myself for over 35 years, I do understand there can be some inconvenience associated with wearing a back tag and that many other states do not require them. Hunting deer and bear in Wisconsin however is not exactly the same as in many other states. Wisconsin has one of the highest numbers of hunters and is made up of lots of private property which continues to get divided into smaller blocks every year.

The requirement for issuing each deer hunter a back tag and that each hunter display this back tag was actually created by the Wisconsin State Legislature 68 years ago, back in 1942. It is not a DNR rule or something the DNR has authority to eliminate. The legislature later created a statutory requirement that all bear hunters also wear a back tag. The bear back tag requirement took effect for the first time just 14 years ago, during the 1998 bear season, in large part due to complaints from landowners about the problems they were having dealing with bear hunters and bear dog trainers trespassing on private lands. The primary reason for these statutory requirements has been to address landowners concerns about trespassing and to give landowners a way to identify trespassers, and not just to help assure deer hunters have a license.

Although the DNR did not create these requirements, the warden service and the law enforcement community in Wisconsin have been staunch proponents of retaining the back tag requirement for deer and bear hunters. Back tags have played an important role in the identification and apprehension of the suspects in trespassing and hunting law violations. It sounds like you are aware of one of the more notable cases which occurred in 2004, when a hunters back tag number was recorded by another hunter in a trespassing encounter that turned into 6 homicides. The recorded back tag number enabled investigators to quickly determine who the suspect was and even locate that person while still in the field some distance away still wearing the back tag.

We also feel the while not infallible, the need to display a back tag does help reduce the incidents of individuals hunting without a valid license. In the past we did change the color each year to help assure individuals were not simply displaying an expired license back tag. However, with our current Automated License Issuance System (ALIS), the paper used to print these tags is purchased though a contract with the company that operates the ALIS. To save money by not throwing out all the old/unused stock each year, we made the decision a few years ago that we could live with not changing the color ever year. It will be changed periodically, likely when we have to rebid the contract.

About 7 years ago a bill was introduced in the state legislature to eliminate back tags for deer hunting. That provision was vetoed by the Governor at that time. During this past 2009-10 legislative session, a legislator also introduce a bill which included a provision to eliminate the need for Class B bear license holders to wear a back tag when assisting a Class A bear license holder hunting for bear. The Wisconsin Sheriffs Association testified in opposition to this provision of the bill. Sheriff's felt that this is a valuable tool which assists them in enforcing the trespass laws. This back tag elimination provision of that bill was removed in a later amendment.

Having checked deer hunters in the field every year for the past 25 years I have found that with changes made to the back tags in recent years to make this tag also double as the person license has greatly reduced the time it takes to check a hunters license. No more digging through layers of clothing trying to find a small folded piece of paper, if the hunter remembers to bring the small piece of paper along. This allows hunters to get back to hunting quicker.

While the DNR can not remove the requirement that we issue back tags and that hunters must wear them, I hope I have at least been able to provide you with some further understanding as to why Wisconsin long ago decided back tags should be required and play an important role in this state.

I hope that clears some things up for you guys. I sure learned quite a bit from the correspondence.

DEERBOSS

Postby DEERBOSS » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:34 pm

I AM ALSO NOT A BIG FAN OF HAVING TO WEAR BACK TAGS FROM A BOW AND GUN HUNTING ASPECT. A FEW YEARS BACK WHILE DOING A DEER DRIVE THROUGH SOME VERY THICK MARSH I LOST MY BACK TAG AND SPENT THE WHOLE DAY LOOKING FOR IT.

I HAVE ALSO EMAILED SOME MAKERS OF CAMO CLOTHING LIKE REALTREE TO ASK IF THEY MADE OR HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT MAKING CAMO WITH A POCKET BUILT RIGHT INTO THE THE JACKET WITH A CLEAR OUTSIDE AND WITH A ZIPPER ON THE INSIDE OR THE OUTSIDE OF THE JACKET TO ACCESS IT. BUT THE RESPONSES I GOT BASICLY SAID THAT TO FEW HUNTERS ARE REQUIRED TO WEAR BACKTAGS TO JUSTIFY MAKING SUCH A THING.

MAYBE SOME DAY IT WILL CHANGE BUT FOR NOW WE WILL JUST HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT!

Chainsaw

Postby Chainsaw » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:39 pm

Do away with the back tags, the restrictions on firearms for use during gun season, and the restrictions on who can use a crossbow(sorry Retch)

Maybe ( and that's a big maybe) with Walker we can begin to do an extreme makeover and downsize the DNR. The one big boonedoggle I see is this elk program, and another is the coddling of the wolf.

Nwest

Postby Nwest » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:27 am

What do you think of this? I just threw it together by cutting the top off of a standard back tag holder and then cutting two slots in the back and threading a strap through it. Haven't tried it in the woods yet, but it will allow for quick removal and replacement of the back tag when adding or removing layers of clothing. It also keeps the back tag closer to the body, so there should be less chance of it catching on things and making noise at inopportune times. I am going to look for a clasp that actually locks onto the strap rather than the plastic buckle in the picture. I think the plastic buckle could easily come loose if it gets bumped while walking in the woods and then the whole thing could fall off.

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:57 am

I hope you patented it! Good idea, I have something similar for bow hunting but I like your design better
I'd rather drag out a 4 pointer with my father than a 10 pointer alone.

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin