Late Bow season

kjamesn

Late Bow season

Postby kjamesn » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:12 pm

What do you all think of the late bow season and is it worth it to try?

tjmeyers

RE: Late Bow season

Postby tjmeyers » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:20 pm

I intend to hunt it. Shot the only deer I saw all last season the day before the end of the season. Maybe I'll even get to see a deer during the late season this year too. [:@]
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:26 pm

Depends on your area. I'm in Waupaca County (WI), and they seem to be grouped up pretty good. My dad has a field I hunted since we got snow last week, and the deer are really hitting it. He has a lot of other fields, and there are barely any tracks anywhere else, some fields are completely clean with no signs of any deer. But this one field is completely dug up from them going after the young alfalfa under the snow. If you have an area with some deer activity, I think it pays to go. They're going to be getting into feeding patterns again. In some spots, you can see deer out trying to feed in the middle of the day.

They're also getting into the second rut now. If you have a bunch of does in the area, it pays to go. I went out this last Tuesday and had a small buck grunting and chasing a doe. Just before shooting ended, a 150 inch buck came in chasing a doe, which I was lucky enough to get a shot at. It's the first late season buck I've ever got, and the biggest deer I've ever shot, so I might be biased now, but my vote is late season pays. The key really is just if you're in an area they're hitting for food, or traveling through to get to food. There were 20 deer in the field when I got my buck this week. I havent seen 20 deer at one time all season, but it's that time of year now. Good luck.

Cal

Postby Cal » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:07 pm

Late bow is awesome. Very chalanging to be sure, but much more rewarding when you are sucsessfull.

Unfortunatly here in Southern Wisconsin it is also very short now with all the added hunts.

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:27 pm

That's a cool picture Cal, did you take that?

Cal

Postby Cal » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:05 am

Thanks Vipermann
I took that last year from the second floor deck of my house. It was snowing pretty hard.

Return to Wisconsin