Do Politics & Herd Management Mix??

Dan Salmon

Re: Do Politics & Herd Management Mix??

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun May 08, 2011 6:27 am

You & your type are currently so drunk with your new found power you jumped right into bed with them!!!

While not from the state, you are spot on Timmy.

Tim50

Postby Tim50 » Sun May 08, 2011 8:23 am

This issue affects many states! The legislature has been trying for years to get its hands into the State Game Land system here in PA! And we have had the forsight to not accept the quick fix! WE seek professional's to handle the resources for the future NOT JUST THE NEXT FOUR YEARS!! I am against political influence in the PA Game Commission & DNR issues. Wisconsin has now become the Poster Child for ALL State legislatures to look at when pushing their political agenda and appointments into area's they are not qualified! IMO this is NOT just about Wisconsin. Keep the political jobs & paybacks out of the DNR!! remember the WBH is all in with this because THEY are getting what THEY want for the short term. I thought they were selfish because of their anti crossbow stance attempting to restrict more hunter opportunity into THEIR season! They now are keeping the possibility of ANY early GUN hunts out of THEIR season! To do this they sold their soul! Their narrow minded "me first" agenda now jepordizes the resource for future generations...Lobbyist, lawyers & legislators in your pocket is NOT how to run the resource!!

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Sun May 08, 2011 12:31 pm

The futures so bright, we gotta wear shades. :lol:

I return you now to yor p!ssing and moaning and sorrowful lamenting. Dont peak too soon guys, your going to be at this for many years. Pace yorself and for Gawd's sake, stay away from tall building and the desire to buy rope. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun May 08, 2011 2:14 pm

You seem to be the only one talking of tall buildings and rope...The boastful Kool-aid drinking left sounded much the same way until last November. Just remember, all it takes is one election cycle for the whole thing to be turned upside down.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully the few don't completely F up the whole thing for everyone else by making all these rules then loosing the next election. My experience says that's typically what happens and the majority are left to pick up the pieces and start over where things should have been to begin with.

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Mon May 09, 2011 6:33 am

Since very few forum members here took the time to attend the Senate hearing on the EAB bill and since the day also included votes on the bear bill and the appointments of the three new NRB members and hear them speak, I thought you might want to watch the WI eye video of the day’s events. You can see/hear the discussion and votes on these matters and see some of the players. (even a few bowsiters). You can see the WWF asking for more gun and blaze orange in the archery deer season and WBH seeking less guns and blaze orange in the archery deer season. You can slide the bar at the bottom of the screen to fast forward to different testimony.

At the 24 minute mark, you can watch Kaz's appointment.

At the 34 minute mark you can watch the testimony on the EAB bill.

At the 1 hour, 16 minute mark you can watch WBH president Mike Brust testify in support of less guns in the archery deer season.

At the 1 hour, 23 minute mark you can watch George and the WWF testify to wanting more guns in the archery deer season.

At the 2 hour, 9 minute mark you can watch Kaz testify in support of less guns in the archery deer season.

At the 2 hour, 36 minute mark you can watch a forum member testify in support of less guns in the archery deer season with some good information about deer density studies.

In the background you can see Ron Kuehn the person WBH hired to assist with Governmental relations and issue advocacy. This is one of the places policy gets made. For those that think it gets made on an internet chat room, this might come a a bit of a shock to you. ;)

http://www.wiseye.org/Programming/Video ... vhdid=4193

Fish

Postby Fish » Tue May 10, 2011 8:04 am

Timmy, I'd suggest you get a handle on PA issues before you comment on WI.

Although WBH supported the deer bill, they were not one of the groups involved with getting the bill to the legislators.

Politics has always been involved with herd management as it's a State agency. As stated before, the legislature gave us EAB and they will take it away. Who else would you suggest make the decisions on weapon, season structure, population and goals? The WCC? Elected delegates.....The NRB? Appointed by politicians. Heck, choose either an appointed DNR Sec or elected DNR Sec and the position will be political. Maybe you want "true" science and just have the field biologist manage deer and season structure.

Science used is even political. All you have to do is research your own State and that's were is all began. Gone are the days of 100 DPSM but also the days of extreme low populations dictated by the last administration. There is a happy medium which is supported by science.

Ironically, I listened to several "forestry" people testify at the Senate hearing and none gave any scientific study to support their position. All they said was "too many deer hurt trees and plants". Are these the biologist we should blindly listen too? What states the amount of deer are appropriate? The funny part was, the only person testifying science and deer densities/regeneration was a hunter. To make it even better, I was talking to him after the hearing and the DNR Forestry manager came up and asked him where he got the studies and what they were. Sadly, just about every sporting org had heard of the one, it was probably the longest, most extensive study ever done. He never heard of it.....very sad.

Thanks for the clips from Bortz and Durkin, never read the crappola and find it interesting when writers poo poo all over their readers......."when in doubt, keep on shooting"
fish

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Tue May 10, 2011 8:08 pm

Arm chair quarterbacks always have the answers, however, very few if any ever listen or implement what they espouse.

There's probably a reason for it.

I guess we'll get to see what that reason is.

Dances With Deer

Postby Dances With Deer » Tue May 10, 2011 9:08 pm

Smith and Bortz are both right on in this case. One can only hope the tides change soon as the repubs are rushing things through as fast as they can, knowing they could lose a majority after all the recall elections are over. One can only hope Walker goes too. Sad to say I voted for him. If I could take it back, I would. He has sunk Wisconsin politics to a new low and is an embarrassment to our state.

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Wed May 11, 2011 6:12 am

You may be surprised to learn that the recalls will put an additional Republican in a Senate seat and the whole thing will essentially backfire on the Dems/unions.

You mention that you hope Walker goes too. I hope you understand that there is no recall effort for the Governor. Since you seem interested in such a thing, you will want to know that dems/unions could not take up such an action until he is in office for a year and even they did, they would need to muster over a half million legitimate signatures (540,208 to be exact) Which means the Dems/unions (There should be a word for them like “Uniocrats” or “Demions”) would have to get at least 650,000 signatures to be safe once the bogus signatures are weeded out.

Once this batch of recalls is over and turns out to be a bust and no change in powers, folks will quickly tire of the nonsense and enjoy their summer. As jobs return to WI, even the lib whack-jobs in the population will lose steam. Why would jobs return to WI? This news story sums it up.

"Madison–Today a ranking of the best and worst states for business was released by Chief Executive Magazine, which was based on a survey of more than 500 CEOs who considered a criteria ranging from taxation and regulation to workforce quality and living environment. This annual ranking shows that Wisconsin, who in 2010 was ranked the 41st best state to do business in, jumped more than any other state in the nation to the 24th best state in 2011.

“I am glad that our Open for Business message is resonating,” said Governor Scott Walker. “From our special session to the budget, we are focused on helping our economy grow and letting the world know that Wisconsin welcomes job creators. Despite our progress, we still have a lot of work ahead of us to make sure our state’s private sector can create 250,000 new jobs by 2015. Two of our most immediate needs are making sure the Department of Commerce’s transition to a public-private partnership goes well, and that Wisconsin is able to attract more venture capital.”

end snip
-----------------

In the meantime, the Republican led majority will get voter i.d. and concealed carry laws passed and a few laws that the hunting public supports. As I said, the future looks bright.

Fish

Postby Fish » Wed May 11, 2011 9:20 am

Beat me to the punch, Sweeney.

Out of the Senators involved in recall elections, all but 5 won by a large margin. Out of the 5, 3 dems and 2 rep are at risk. Each of the Rep won by at least a 6% margin, Dems a 3% or less margin. The Kloppenberg mess is leaving a very poor taste in the mouth for much of the State and will continue up until the recalls since she will play it out in the courts after she loses the recount.

How does this affect hunters, well we are going to lose a advocate who is a Dem. Even if the Rep lose a spot or two, the Dems will not gain the Senate and all you've done is spend a lot of money all over collective bargaining. It wasn't too far back(2009) the Dems wanted to curtail collective bargaining, what does that tell you?

As for politics and hunting, being involved for several years now, it doesn't matter if it is a Rep or Dem. You work and support both, they do the same. Both parties are represented by hunters.
fish

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin