New Stand my boys and I built..

rmontez

New Stand my boys and I built..

Postby rmontez » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:51 pm

I decided to build a new stand for my boys since they are both in the age where they can hunt during the youth hunt and I wanted them to be safe but still have the room to move around so this is what I came up with. It wasn't intended to be this big but it seemed to keep growing as I built it! The plat form is 4'x8' with 6' walls. It has two decks on each end, one is 4'x4x the other is 3'x4'. The deck is 16' to the ground.

bobow

Re: New Stand my boys and I built..

Postby bobow » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:16 pm

Lookin' good! I don't suppose you have time to build one for me? :mrgreen:

Just curious, what did you have to spend for the lumber?
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:02 pm

It looks like it would be very comfortable. My question is what size are the crossmembers? Are they 2x4's? Is the wood treated and what size nails/screw did you use? Also, are the nails galvanized? You really have to build them to last. I have made quite a few and always use galvanized twist nails when I can't use bolts. And always treated wood. You can't be too careful. I have two platform stands that have been in the woods for 20 years and are still solid. Sometimes animals can chew on them, so some repairs have to been done.
Looks like you put a lot of effort into building that stand....looks great.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:10 pm

Looks great! I helped a buddy build one last year. They are fun to build, and great to hunt out of. Im sure you will have a good time using it...But I have a question...Where's my invite? :P
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:26 pm

I would love one of those for rifle season ha ha...put my name on the list as well!

rmontez

Postby rmontez » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:47 pm

Thanks Guys it was a bit of challenge to build not because of the size but because of where we put it up. the platform is made out of 2x6's and everything is put together with either galvanized nails, bolts or decking screws. All treated lumber with a cost of around $1500 to $2000. To be honest I stopped keeping track when every trip to Menards was costing me $300 to $400!! The 2x4's you see on the end are just what the deck is made out of. I still have to put the ladder on and finish up that last deck. I'll post pics of the deer we take out of the stand..

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:33 am

Sounds like you used the kind of material that will last and be safe for years. Nice work. Now if you can only get a sofa-bed up there.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

pickleguy

Postby pickleguy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:51 am

I heard the Eiffel Tower was missing, I think I found it!
Nice work, we are building a couple towers this year not quite as big as yours.
�If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved

rmontez

Postby rmontez » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:15 am

lol I was actually thinking of putting a small sofa up there! I really did not start out want to build such a large stand but when I was building it in my driveway it didn't really look that big!! lmao...

MZS

Postby MZS » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:50 am

Nice stand! Yeah, these stands can really end up costing when you scale up to 4' by 8' and put them as high as you did. But even with what you spent, you would not be able to buy an equivalent stand for that kind of money. And more importantly, the whole process of building it with your boys is something money can not buy!

Next

Return to Wisconsin