Stewardship fund

bullwinkle

Stewardship fund

Postby bullwinkle » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:21 pm

Some friends called in panic - the State is in talks with a neighbor to buy their land. They are scrabbling for ideas on how to deal with this. If this property goes public, QDM practices will take a major step backward.

We are gathering $$$ to see if we can buy it - anyone have any ideas? I would guess the State has to do an appraisal and cant go above it. If we throw money at it and if we have a willing buyer, we should be in the game????

Anyone ever go against the State for buying hunting land, any advice?

Dan Salmon

Re: Stewardship fund

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:09 pm

Good Luck! They pay a premium and there aren't many that can justifiably pay more just to keep the state from buying it. If the state wants it, they'll get it.

Probably have several other groups involved with matching dollars too, you're going up against a pretty tough opponent. I'd try to find out all parties involved before trying to circle the wagons, you may find you're going through the motions for no good outcome.

rmontez

Postby rmontez » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:43 pm

how much land is it? I don't know that the state just buys land to turn it into public hunting land, there usually is a purpose. They maybe redoing roads and your friends neighbors land may make a nice gravel pit. If it's low land they may need it to replace a low water land that they had to fill in someplace else for roads. What I mean by that is if they have to fill in 10 acres of wet land they need to create 10 acres of wetland in another area, at least what I have always been told. If the state wants the land I don't know that you can gather enough people to compete with them? Good Luck and let us know what their purpose is when you find out.

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:55 pm

We got in the game. I will let you know what we did and how this works out, so far my strategy is working. The big question is how deep the states pockets are and can we swing it. Would rather keep it confidential at this point

The way the markets are right now, land is looking very attractive.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:52 pm

Yeah, they sure aren't making any more of it! I just haven't seen any indication of the prices dropping appreciably even though the market is gone. Could also just be where I'm looking. State keeps buying more and more land there and is keeping the market high. Good Luck!

bobow

Postby bobow » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:07 am

bullwinkle wrote:Some friends called in panic - the State is in talks with a neighbor to buy their land.

Where does the money come from (other than the taxpayers)? Why are they buying some much land or why this particular parcel? BTW, how big is this?

Good luck on your endeavor.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

bullwinkle

Postby bullwinkle » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:43 pm

I will share the details when it is done.

I fully support getting more land for public use, when we can afford it. What shocks me right now is we clearly are hurting as a State and Country. You would think this is the time to separate our needs from our wants. I understand the Stewardship Fund is still funded and that means we are funding it by borrowing money!!!!! We are borrowing money to buy land for public recreational use!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont know about you but finding jobs for our fellow citizens and taking care of the people who are hurting seems to be a bigger priority to me than finding more recreational land for a few people in the State who will use it.

bobow

Postby bobow » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:24 pm

bullwinkle wrote:I dont know about you but finding jobs for our fellow citizens and taking care of the people who are hurting seems to be a bigger priority to me than finding more recreational land for a few people in the State who will use it.

Agree 100%! Not at this point in time but at least WI is much better off than IL :cry:
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Return to Wisconsin