Some new WI bowhunting legislation

retch sweeny

Some new WI bowhunting legislation

Postby retch sweeny » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:54 am

INTRODUCED IN THE ASSEMBLY

AB-234. Bow Hunting.. Prohibits ordinances, regulations, resolutions or other restrictions by local governmental units restricting hunting with a bow and arrow. To Natural Resources.

Current statutes generally prohibit a local governmental unit from enacting any ordinance or adopting any regulation, resolution, or other restriction (local law) that regulates hunting, fishing, trapping, or management of wild animals except on land that the local governmental unit owns or leases or unless state law specifically authorizes the local governmental unit to enact or adopt such a local law. Current statutes also specify that a local governmental unit may enact or adopt a local law that has an incidental effect on hunting, fishing, or trapping, but only if the primary purpose is to further public health or safety.

The bill provides, with an exception, that a local governmental unit may not enact or enforce a local law that prohibits hunting with a bow and arrow within the jurisdiction of that local governmental unit. Under the exception provided in the bill, a local governmental unit may prohibit hunting with a bow and arrow within 150 yards of an occupied building.

If successful, AB-234 will create the following new state statute.

29.038 (3) (b) No local governmental unit may enact or enforce an ordinance or adopt or enforce a regulation, resolution, or other restriction that prohibits hunting with a bow and arrow within the jurisdiction of that local governmental unit except that a local governmental unit may prohibit hunting with a bow and arrow within 150 yards of an occupied building.

Mastertangler

Re: Some new WI bowhunting legislation

Postby Mastertangler » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:50 am

Ok, maybe my brain isn't functioning well this morning, but what exactly does this mean? There would be no restrictions on say hunting city limits as long as you're the required distance from the buildings? Or you could hunt parks? That would open up a whole lot of land near me that is currently unable to be hunted.

If I'm way off, please correct me, thanks!

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:04 am

Currently local municipalities (some which might be governed by the side of the isle that disapproves of weapons and hunting and killing game) could keep bowhunting from taking place even though bowhunting is one of the safest forms of hunting for both the user and general public. They would do so by having weapons discharge prohibitions lumping bows with firearms. This statute would keep municipalities from prohibiting bowhunting (with some restriction such as proximity to buildings and public safety)

Towns and cities are struggling with deer urban populations that are protected from gun hunting but bow and arrow hunting had become tied into those prohibitions. This bill does what all hunters and commons sense people know about the differences between firearms and the bow and arrow.

deojee1414

Postby deojee1414 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:24 am

Wausau went through this in 2008. After years of resident's complaints about deer damage, the city council finally put together a proposal for bow hunting within the city limits. The chief of police ( a non-hunter i'm guessing) was totally against it. Stating a predicted increase in trespassing calls, wounded deer dying on people's lawns in front of children (because apparently when deer are wounded they seek out open areas near people and dwellings to die) and of course safety issues. (My favorite part was rather than using bow hunters, he was more comfortable using police sharpshooters! so, arrows are dangerous, but high powered rifles are safe. oh, and the sharp shooters would be off duty police being paid overtime.) Despite his objections the city council passed the ordinance. the only limitations i believe are, you must hunt from a treestand, you must be at least 200 ft from any structures, and if it's not your property you must have written permission from the landowner. in 3 years they've havent had a single problem or complaint and have removed a lot of deer.

elliotk

Postby elliotk » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:11 pm

Manitowoc has a Police Chief that promoted the bow hunting so they would not have to pay sharp shooters. They changed the city ordinance so the Chief could start up the hunt 4 years ago. As the hunters get more deer car/deer accidents went down. Even Grandma's don't like deer that eat their flowers and shrubs.

Ostermann

Postby Ostermann » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:15 pm

I think having hunters control the herd could be beneficial in several ways for several people.
1 - Opportunities for hunters.
2 - A chance to give the venison to the community.
3 - Maybe have some type of fee for tags or licenses to raise money at a local level.
4 - Control of the population to reduce accidents, deer eating the residential areas.

I would like to think most Wisconsin cities and towns understand that when September rolls around, it is deer season. Or when November shows up, all the blaze orange means something.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:02 pm

You think that there is in-fighting now? Just let hunters control the deer herd.

It'll be like North Ave. in Milwaukee on a 100 degree July night everywhere in WI. :lol:

Return to Wisconsin