2011 WI Hunting Journal

Mastertangler

Re: 2011 WI Hunting Journal

Postby Mastertangler » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:58 am

Good luck to all.

Myself, I've been seeing a good number of fawns this year after a lot of down years with EAB. I do believe EAB works, it just was too much to have it so many years in a row. Also seeing a few pretty good bucks around the small parcels I have access to.
I too just need to make the season more fun. The property isn't ours so the past few years I've done nothing but get frustrated by all the interference and neighbor antics that I can't do anything about. I love the hunt, but I'm hoping to seal the deal early this year in hopes of being able to avoid the conflicts later.
And if all the work I've put in helps my dad get his first deer with an arrow, the whole season will be a success no matter what!

WeekendWarrior

Postby WeekendWarrior » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:04 pm

I had an awfully busy summer, so I've yet to place any stands. I've never had any early season luck anyways, so it's not killing me. Instead of going to the private land 45 minutes north of home, I've decided to set a treestand in some public land only 20 minutes away. The drive is much, much nicer. Going to set it up saturday morning, opening morning of course. Figure to do some scouting that morning and figure out a good spot. Getting pretty amped for the season! Been seeing lots of deer in fields during the evening!

RNC

Postby RNC » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:54 am

Good Luck to everyone this season. It has been a crazy busy summer and I only have been able to make it to the cabin twice since spring turkey hunting. the first time was the 4th of July weekend and we arrived just after a massive storm blew through. We spent the rest of the weekend cutting trees just to open up the yard. I then made it up the first weekend of August to help get food plots in. From the sounds of it the plots are going good and a handful of bucks have shown up on camera along with a steady showing of does and fawns. The plan for the opener is to get out and look around Saturday to see how much timber came down in some of my favorite spots to see how deer travel has changed. Then Saturday evening I should be sitting on our northern most plot in hopes of seeing a deer or two and if lucky enough maybe getting a nice doe in range.
Of course this is hard. It's supposed to be hard, thats what makes it great. If it was easy everyone would do it!

Drhunter2k

Postby Drhunter2k » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:22 am

Good luck to everyone this fall. I haven't seen to many bucks on my cameras yet this summer but that's not a problem. Lots of does and fawns which is good. Post pictures when you get them.

colomabuck

Postby colomabuck » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:52 pm

Goose, if I remember right you hunt in Waushara county? How is the deer population where you hunt? The deer in the western part of the county seem to be little better, but not what it was. Also did your property survive the the Sept storm? We lost about 20 to 25 oak trees.
j

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:39 pm

I would say the population is better, we haven't shot does there in a couple of years so I think that has helped our immediate property.
We got hit hard by the storm, took out our lean-to but the tree that fell on it didn't make it to the tractor thankfully! Lost a bunch of trees as well.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

windsor

Postby windsor » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:25 pm

This is going to be my first season hunting on my own. I was introduced to this great sport last November's gun season and was lucky enough to get a doe my first weekend out. Since then I've been hooked. I spent the off season slowly acquiring gear and honing my skills with my first bow. I've been avidly reading any material I can get my hands on in order to better educate myself and make me a better hunter. These last 9 months have been spent in preparation for this coming hunting season. I've been counting the days till Sept. 17th. I am so very excited opening day is finally here. Just wish I could spend the morning in the woods. Alas I will be coaching my sons soccer game, but as soon as its over, I'll be in the woods. Best of luck to everyone, I hope to see and post some great trophy pics.

wisbooner3932

Postby wisbooner3932 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:08 pm

I went out this morning and saw a whole lot of nothing. I pulled the trailcam card on my way out and was surprised to see the big buck I've been watching all summer had passed by my stand a couple days ago in daylight hours. Most the bucks I got pictures of are moving primarily in the morning which is perfect because I never start class before 2 :D
You can take my gun, from my cold dead hands.

WeekendWarrior

Postby WeekendWarrior » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:24 pm

Set up my stand on public land on saturday morning. Found a natural spring only 30 yards down a gulch. A big old snaggly ancient oak overlooks the spring and the brook feeding from it, and there are atleast 5 deer trails leading to and from the spring. I set up the stand about eight feet up the oak, but it still puts me 10 of 12 feet above the ground due to the tree being rooted into a hillside. Headed out this morning for a couple of hours, despite the horrid weather. Didn't see a thing. Hopefully I'll make it out there sometime this week. Until then, best of luck to everyone.

BIG 8

Postby BIG 8 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:04 pm

I went out last night and sat in an open wooded area about 75 yards off a corn field. It looked like a great spot! There were acorns droppin everywhere and a standing water in a creek bed. What more could a deer ask for. At 645 I heard a deer walkin behind me to the right. I turned and looked and saw the deer so I grabbed bow and looked up to see two awsome looking 2 1/2 year old bucks! The bigger one must be the son of the buck in my profile picture cause he was identical to him. I hope makes it a few more years! I put a camera out so hopefully I'll get pics of them.
Addicted to hunting!!

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin