2011 WI Hunting Journal

umpiremark

Re: 2011 WI Hunting Journal

Postby umpiremark » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:43 am

Over the past several weekends, my son and I saw a few bucks on their feet all walking by - not close to the stands. When we grunted at them, they tucked tail and ran. Not wind, not sight lines, just had no intentions of competing with any other buck (or so we think) for whatever reasons.

There is 160 acres to our east with two bow hunters, never take a doe. A 40 acre section across the street north, no one hunts. 120 acres to the NE, a man and his girlfriend, maybe one doe in the 5 years they've owned that section. The 120 to our SW, they just gun hunt and shoot anything that moves. There is a 100 or more acre section to the SE that is public propery (mostly swamp and dogwoods) that gets hit hard during gun, but hardly anyone is in that marsh during bow season.

We think we have way too many does in the area. Bucks don't chase and seek during the day time hours because free poon-tang is everywhere, for the taking mostly in the bedding areas at night. At least that's my conclusion.

We also think the does and bucks disappear from cameras in the middle of the night and must bed in the swamp/dogwoods to our south (not our property) and on the public marsh to the SE. We've hunted our south property line and woods edge but bucks can get in/out from anywhere along our 1/4 mile line or the east or even up from the south side of the road. We see rubs, but not a ton and it's hard hunting that section.

Bucks just don't seek on our property during the day and grunting, rattling or even doe calls sends them into a sprint off the land. Any thoughts, anyone. We're just stumped.
One day my ship will come in!! My luck, I'll be at the airport.

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:19 am

"Bucks just don't seek on our property during the day and grunting, rattling or even doe calls sends them into a sprint off the land. Any thoughts, anyone. We're just stumped."

Every buck I grunted at this year turned tail and ran except the buck I shot. From all indications, the buck I took was the dominant buck on our property. When I grunted at him, he couldn't get to me quick enough. It is my opinion that he had beaten all the other bucks into submission, which is why they split when I grunted at them and he came when I grunted at him. I don't know if your situation is the same or not, but I'll throw it out there as a possibility. You may have a bully hanging around.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:35 am

Had an eventful hunt on Saturday here in western Dane County.

I rattled in 3 bucks, with 2 of them coming within 22 yards of my stand, offering perfect broadside shots. Unfortunately, the only buck that didn't come into range was the only shooter--a beautiful tall tined 10. The small 8 and 6 showed no fear of the decoy. The big 10 responded to the rattle and decoy from over 200 yards away. However, when he got to 60 yards he stared down the decoy, then turned and walked away.

Also saw 2 does and a fawn. Great outing. Glad I have a big 8 on the ground already this season, or I would have been disappointed I didn't send an arrow on its way to the 10.

Sunday was super windy and from a fluky direction for my stand set ups. I went out for 3 hours in the morning, and did rattle in a nice 8 but he also hung up out of range.

On to the gun season!

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:47 am

Had a good hunt last Friday morning. Here is video I took of a decent basket rack buck that came thru.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X81GjtOJmQQ
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

tbonecpa

Postby tbonecpa » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:49 pm

Saw two 1 1/2 and three 2 1/2 yr old bucks in the last week but nothing big. The level of deersightings this season has been consistently good but there really hasn't been any chasing this year, just a lot of cruising. Seems consistent with other reports from Shawano county.

There are tracks in the snow absolutely all over the property so the full moon and clear skies could have made most of the action happen at night. There is a rub line of 6-8" diameter rubs back in the swamp so there is at least one bruiser on the property and my oldest son will be sitting just outside his sanctuary opening morning. He has let a lot of smaller bucks go so I hope he gets a shot at the big one.

buckwild

Postby buckwild » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:50 pm

Amazing deer fave!

It is great to see everyone's report on the progress of the rut. I have been seeing small bucks (1.5 yr old) out quite a bit since the start of the season, but only one other buck (2.5 yr old 8 point). The does I have seen the last 2 weeks have been mostly solo deer (before they were in mostly groups). Luckily, I have seen quite a few deer (8 different sightings on 11/11). Of those, there were two different sightings of a yearling buck. I saw one of those bucks on my way back to the truck, and he saw me first. The odd thing is he turned and trotted straight at me. He made it from about 60 yds out to 20 yds and stopped, paused about 2 seconds, realized I was a human, snorted, and took of the way he was originally going. I figure he musta thought I was another deer. That dummy probably wont make it through next weekends gun play!

I did manage to get a doe in my sights at 15 yds (also on the ground). She was with another deer on a ridge. The other deer must have spotted me. I heard movement on the ridge and saw one deer getting outa dodge, and the other deer (the doe) was heading straight for me. she made it to about 20 yds, and the other deer (which I never did see clearly) started snorting. I can say with confidence that he was a good sized buck because the snorts were pretty powerful. So now the doe is on alert. after about 3-4 minutes of standing there she finally continued walking towards me. I drew. she was almost in a clearing, and spotted me. She was head bobbing and took the last few steps to the clearing. I only had a couple of seconds to get the sights dialed in and she decided to bolt. I figure that the buck was trailing her, and when he reacted to spotted me, she took the opportunity to break from his un-welcomed company. At least he was a gentleman and gave her the heads up!

I did witness my first chasing later that day. It was last light and I am set up downwind of a clear cut that is used as a bedding area. I didnt get a good look at the participants but there were several deer going at it pretty good. They were tight to the edge of the clear cut.
Semper Fidelis!

Nwest

Postby Nwest » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:09 pm

I had my chance today and didn't close the deal. Went out during the middle of the day after dropping the kids off at school. Tired of getting skunked at the property I usually hunt, I headed for some public land instead. Hunted the area a few times last year but hadn't been out there yet this year. Worked my way to a couple different spots but didn't see a whole lot of sign and didn't see any deer. Ended up on top of a hill overlooking a clearing where a pipeline was put in. Around noon I saw a small buck cross the clearing, he didn't respond to the grunt call at all and continued on his way. Waited another 45 minutes or so without seeing anything else so I started to head back to the car walking along the edge of the clearing. When I got about halfway to where the other deer crossed the clearing I looked up to see a nice buck entering the clearing, definitely a shooter in my book, I would guess 3 and 1/2, looked like a heavy 8 pointer, maybe 10, didn't spend too much time looking at the rack. Rattled quickly and grunted, he turned and started heading towards me. I was in some tall grass and weeds, so he couldn't see me, but I could see his antlers moving above the weeds. He got to around 25 yards, I drew back and was waiting for a clear shot. Before I had the shot I wanted the arrow suddenly released. He spooked a little but stuck around, never did get another shot opportunity. Never found the arrow, but have no reason to believe that I hit him. He didn't act like he was hit, and I wasn't even really aiming at him when it released. This is my second year using a release, but the first time I have drawn back with the intention to shoot at a deer. I'm guessing I was shaking and bumped the release. Very disappointing to say the least.

bouhntr

Postby bouhntr » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:19 pm

went up by mauston saturday, but didn't get there until around 9. sat until about 10 30 before my 1st deer sighting. had 3 yearlings come by and sat under some pines. about an hour later a lone fawn came in and milled around for a while, then walked off. a little later i saw 3 small bucks about 100 yards away, two of them were scuffling around a bit and every once in a while the 3rd one would stick his head in there to get a little action. I grunted at them and they stopped looked my way, then trotted off up the hill.I don't think they liked the grunt call. bout an hour later I had 2 nubbin bucks walk under my tree and stood around for a while. finally they walked off. a little later a doe and two fawns came in, but the doe new something wasn't right. she stopped and stomped her feet while the fawns came right to my stand. the doe then reluctanly walk up to my stand, then turned and trotted off with the fawns behind her. 10 minutes later another small doe came in grunting, maybe looking for that doe. then just before dark 4 more deer went by about 150 yards from me heading up the hill. I did some rattling, grunting and calling all day but never did see a decent buck.. a friend of mine hunted over by dalton on saturday and shot a 9 pointer. he said he saw the buck with a doe about 75 yards away. he said the buck was about 5 or 10 yards behind the doe. she would walk a little then stop. the buck would walk behind her then stop when she stopped , he stayed with her but never chased her. finally she walk by his stand, he was able to draw and put the buck in the dirt.

buckwild

Postby buckwild » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:04 pm

Nwest - Thats a bummer! I am half-way blaming my release for the doe busting me on the post before yours. When I draw I put my fingers behind the trigger. One time I accidentally bumped the trigger while drawing on a practice target, so I adjusted my technique. She was so close, I think she saw me swing my index finger around to the trigger - maybe - who knows?? I hope you get another crack at your buck - good luck!
Semper Fidelis!

KCguy

Postby KCguy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:26 pm

buckwild wrote:Nwest - Thats a bummer! I am half-way blaming my release for the doe busting me on the post before yours. When I draw I put my fingers behind the trigger. One time I accidentally bumped the trigger while drawing on a practice target, so I adjusted my technique. She was so close, I think she saw me swing my index finger around to the trigger - maybe - who knows?? I hope you get another crack at your buck - good luck!

Same thing I do as well, and never had a problem since.

Matt

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin